The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

Danny is a 1st round talent, just like Nils.  He could be with the big club as early as next year.  Another gem picked up by Benning in the 2nd round.

Only question will be who he replaces?  Can he play centre?  If so he can play on the 3rd line and we bump Dickinson to the 4th line and Sutter is gone.  If he's a left winger than it's gonna be more difficult.  Pearson would need to be traded to make room.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pearson would need to be traded to make room.

Hopefully that happens anyway.

I’d like to see us trade both Pearson and Myers at some point, so we can apply that cap space elsewhere.

Ideally it coincides with upward pressure from young players ready to take over those spots, and replace those pricier veterans’ lineup roles and contributions, but at a much lower cap hit.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Hopefully that happens anyway.

I’d like to see us trade both Pearson and Myers at some point, so we can apply that cap space elsewhere.

Ideally it coincides with upward pressure from young players ready to take over those spots, and replace those pricier veterans’ lineup roles and contributions, but at a much lower cap hit.

Pearson has a full NTC this year, but it turns into just a 7-team no-trade list next year, and in the last year of the deal there’s no clause at all. So both the team and the player are probably expecting a trade. It becomes more likely once Podkolzin is established as a bona fide top-6 guy. Add in someone like Gadjovich or Lockwood surprising, and it could be as soon as next offseason.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, nergish said:

Remains to be seen, but this is precisely why I'm a pro-Benning guy.

Some GMs are good at one-liners and soundbites.

Some are tough, no-nonsense alpha types or former hall-of-fame players who you wouldn't dare criticize.

Some have excellent pro-scouting instincts and bring in castaways that shine in their new environments.

Some are Business majors who hold their chequebooks tight, are extra stingy come contract time ("team-friendly deals, no clauses"), and are good at finding loopholes.

Ours has completely reinvented our team via the entry draft. I'll take that 10 times out of 10.

I started watching this team in 1999-2000, and despite a few successes (Edler, Kesler, Schneider, etc.) drafting was always considered an afterthought. 

By the time I graduated high school, all my faith was on Jordan freaking Shroeder being the future of this team.

Drafting is so damn important. It's the reason Tampa Bay is the best organization in the league today.

We're starting to look like the Lightning of 4-5 years ago with our young talent forming the core, and if we can continue to hit on later round picks we can extend this window for several years.

There is a cup awarded every season, but building a contending team takes years.

Anyways, Danila is very raw. 

We all know he has a killer release, but from the limited footage that was shared from Rookie camp, his skating and puckhandling are better than I was expecting. 

I will be watching this player closely at main camp, and over the next few years. Very tantalizing overall package with Klimovich.

And his skating fo4 such a big boy is really good.  Usually these young heavier guys lack the ankle strength to skate like the lighter guys do.  But Klim has that strength already and he’s only going to get even better.  I truly believe he’s a steal of a pick and will prove to be better than Geunther.  

• Vintage 1

17 hours ago, nergish said:

Anyways, Danila is very raw. 

We all know he has a killer release, but from the limited footage that was shared from Rookie camp, his skating and puckhandling are better than I was expecting. 

I will be watching this player closely at main camp, and over the next few years. Very tantalizing overall package with Klimovich.

Agree with everything you wrote in your post @nergish.

In the past year or so, I have become a huge fan of Shane Malloy who has coined the term "Duress Factor" when evaluating prospects (Malloy defines this as the ability for players to make the right play when under extreme pressure of game situations...and according to Malloy, the duress level is different for different game conditions -- i.e., the obvious being regular season games vs. playoff games). 

Though Danny Klimovich may have shown well with skating and puck handling during the rookies one-day camp, it was done in a relatively stress-free environment.  So, like you, I'm encouraged by what I saw in the video clips, it would be great to see what he can do under more difficult conditions (which I hope you will report from watching during camp).

I haven't heard/seen a full assessment of Klimovich from Malloy so am very interested to hear what he has to say about him and where he rates him on the Duress Factor.  FTR, Malloy states that Podkolzin's Duress Factor Score is off the charts.

• Like 1