The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

47 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Thing is, beyond the top round/picks, they're all pretty much "wait and see" aren't they?

Pretty much, but three are exceptions. Hoglander for example. And more prominently guys like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Luc Robitaille, theoren Fluery, Doug Gilmore, Brett Hull etc

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

2020-21 Team: Minskie Zubry (#37)
Date of Birth: Jan 9, 2003
Place of Birth: Pinsk, Belarus
Ht: 6-foot-1 Wt: 187 pounds
Shoots: Right
Position: Center
NHL Draft Eligibility: 2021 first-year eligible

“The size, the skills, the hockey sense are all there for him to be an offensive producing player and he’s consistent in his approach. He’s got NHL speed and competes hard. Now, he does have a flair for the dramatic at times, but that’s good. It means he’s confident, but, every shift, he’s first on pucks, always going to the net and he’s got that knack to be open and available to get that shot off. He’s on the top line and is the top scorer and he’s one of the first forwards coming back on the play.” – Dan Marr, director of NHL Central Scouting

“While his skill is clearly raw, he’s got a quick release and, in a similar vein as Alex Ovechkin, he has a knack for finding open ice – something Klimovich considers a strong point in his game. Klimovich has agile hands that allows him to control the puck effectively and while his skating isn’t anything special, he can move the puck at a nice speed.” – Steven Ellis, The Hockey News

Strengths

• Speed
  • Shot
  • Compete level
  • Creativity
  • Leadership
  • Hockey IQ

Under Construction (Improvements to Make)

• Needs to develop physically and mentally

Canucks websites video have him at 6'2, 202 lbs, very exciting pick and not in top 100 in Hockey News draft preview..

He had a ver good U18 tourney.. Really like the pick....

Also reading about and watching some video of his skating.  If we could get him into training with one of the staking coaches that has helped Bo and Gadj over the years there could be a gold mine of easy improvements to make there just on the general dynamics of his movement - if he fixes a few of those things the kid will absolutely fly I think.  

• Cheers 1

He seems coachable from his agent's comments and with his skill, size, speed, hockey IQ and compete level, that's really all you can ask for. I think there are pros and cons to him playing in either Canada or the KHL. Here, he'd get more playing time, but the KHL is the 2nd best hockey league on the planet and he'd be playing against experienced men as opposed to 16-18 year olds primarily in the CHL or the Q. So he could come to Canada, tear it up and build a ton of confidence, or he could be physically and mentally more prepared for the NHL by playing in Russia's top league against more experienced guys. And his name is bad-a$$ - I can't wait for Shorty, Batch, Cuthbert and Hughson to have tongue-twisters with Klimovich and Gadjovich passing each other the puck. And is Danila a centre or a winger? I've seen both listed. Is he any good at face-offs? If he can't do that, he's a winger. You can't have a centre who is terrible at face-offs. At 6'1 and 200 pounds at 18, that is scary. He could be 6'2" 215-220 by the time he reaches the NHL and if he hooks up with Bo's skating coach, he'll be an absolute monster with legit top line potential. Boom/bust potential is high, but with his compete level, if his d-zone game improves, he could have a floor as a solid 3rd line option at worst and 1st line potential if all goes perfectly. I don't know which league I'd pick if I were him. There are obvious pros and cons with either decision, but I like that he's teachable and he's calling on the Canucks for guidance. I think Travis is going to love coaching this kid when he comes up. Exact kind of player you want in the 2nd round. Now let's hope they get a steal of a potential shutdown, top 4 D-man next. This is where Benning excels. We already have at least as many of our own prospects in our lineup at one time as we have probably ever had, at least since I started watching in 1990. Love this pick. Go big or go home. You don't win the Cup by playing it safe, that's why I absolutely love that trade. We got a top 6 forward and a top pairing D for the price of a 1st rounder in an unknown draft and we unloaded our 3 most egregious picks...oh yeah, and Arizona retained 1.1 million of his salary. Ask me in 4 years about this and I might have a different opinion, but for the next 4 years, it's a brilliant move. We're paying less than the alternative and getting a whole lot more, at least for the short term. One of those two players is worth at least a 2nd round pick if not a 1st, let alone the other guy and dumping $12 million in cap dead weight. Next year if we stay healthy, we'll at least compete till the end for a playoff spot. With parity around the league, that's pretty good.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I like this.

If in Russia it's unknown when he arrives.  If in Quebec, he can't go to Abby until he's 20.

He can go right to the AHL and he should

Would be super interested to see him in Abby - get him into the system and close to home with the best coaches on tap. He's already playing against men in Belarus, and last time i was there the average dude was not small. 

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I like this.

If in Russia it's unknown when he arrives.  If in Quebec, he can't go to Abby until he's 20.

He can go right to the AHL and he should

That would be my approach to every draft if I was JB .........use the AHL for what it's meant for now that they're close to home.  Get them into the system and ready to graduate at 21

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bertuzzi44fan said:

Your leader says a lot about your population usually

That may be true to some extent where free and fair elections are held but that is not the case in Belarus. Alexander Lukashenko is a dictator or autocrat and has been since 1994 but the common people of Belarus are really not much different than we are.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2