The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

3 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

You are right - the minimum 20yr age rule in the AHL does not apply to players drafted from Europe. They must be at least 18 years old, that's all.

The wrinkle is that he was drafted by a CHL team.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Thanks!  Sounds like the guy is interested in coming to play here, or the Q team wouldn’t have used an import selection on him.  I hope he does, because I see him dominating.  Easily score 50.  

I wonder if the Canucks can use some financial leverage (incentive) to entice the Quebec team that drafted him to trade his rights to one of the WHL teams out West?

It would be preferable, IMO, to have him play in an English speaking area of Canada and it is not a slap to Quebec if that is what some are thinking, but it would be easier for him to learn just one new language for now instead of two.

Edited by Kootenay Gold
  • Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So he could potentially play in Abby next season?

He probably ends up in the Q, but I feel that would be a step down for him........playing against kids after playing against men.  Regardless of the talent level, playing against men is always tougher

1 minute ago, stawns said:

The wrinkle is that he was drafted by a CHL team.  

Does that stop a player from being able to play in the AHL though?

I thought if he was a European prospect he could jump right into pro.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I wonder if the Canucks can use some financial leverage (incentive) to entice the Quebec team that drafted him to trade his rights to one of the WHL teams out West?

Or just bring him straight to Abby and develop him as a pro.so he's ready to graduate to the NHL by 20-21.

I know its really early I have only seen a few u18 games where Kuzmin had the majority of my attention. But if his shot is legit (looks legit) and his motor is as advertised. I wonder if he could one day replace Miller in that Quasi C/LW on Pete's wing. It's pretty pie n the sky but maybe? 

Danila Pete Brock

Just now, DeNiro said:

Does that stop a player from being able to play in the AHL though?

I thought if he was a European prospect he could jump right into pro.

That's proving to be tough to verify.  My thought was that if you were drafted by a CHL team you were ineligible, but it kind of looks like you had to be drafted "out" of the CHL, otherwise you're eligible.  OJ a case in point.......he was an import player, but was already playing in the CHL when he was drafted

Just now, Stierlitz said:

He does not play for CHL team and does not have contract there, that means he is drafted in the NHL from Europe. The AHL rule about 20 years old minimum applies to players drafted by the NHL from CHL, which is not the case.

Yeah, though it's hard to find verification, I think you're right.  

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So he could potentially play in Abby next season?

He's picking between playing in the QMJHL (where he was drafted in the import draft by the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies) or Dinamo Mink (Belarus's KHL team). I don't expect to see him signed by Vancouver for at least a year, if not two. No need to rush Danila. He needs development time.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

If he goes to the Q, he's not in Abby until he's 20.

This is not my understanding regarding a player drafted directly from Europe who has never played in NA before but I'm not 100% on this technicality.

2 minutes ago, Quantum said:

He's picking between playing in the QMJHL (where he was drafted in the import draft by the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies) or Dinamo Mink (Belarus's KHL team). I don't expect to see him signed by Vancouver for at least a year, if not two. No need to rush Danila. He needs development time.

I mean if he’s good enough for the KHL he’s good enough for the AHL.

If he wants to come over to North America the AHL would be a much better challenge than the Q.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1