The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Myrenberg | D

GoldenAlien

10 hours ago, Googlie said:

Some decent D came from the 5th round .....

Galley

Aucoin

Zubov

Spacek

Liles

Bieksa

All played over 800 games, not too shabby for a 5th rounder

(Of course,   back in the day with fewer teams, a 5th rounder might have been in the 100 slot, not the 140th as ours was)

The dream would be another Klingberg here. RH Swedish D-man with skating ability and some size drafted in the 5th round.

It’s a lottery ticket at this point, but you can’t win without a ticket!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Myrenberg just got 11 mins of ice time in the SHL! 

I know that training camp is here, but some of our D+1 and D+2 defensemen are making great strides in the SHL, Liiga and Allsvenskan. 

• 3 weeks later...

The kid's sticking with the SHL club so far. 

Not getting a lot of ice time but it's to be expected as his teammates on defense are all quite a bit older with a lot of experience in SHL / AHL / KHL and even NHL. 

Not that I am in any way doubting Faber, but who is he and what is his hockey background ? I have no idea if he's a fan maybe  a ex junior player or a scout for some organization. I'd like to know, any one out there that can fill me in with some detail :)

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Not that I am in any way doubting Faber, but who is he and what is his hockey background ? I have no idea if he's a fan maybe  a ex junior player or a scout for some organization. I'd like to know, any one out there that can fill me in with some detail :)

More of a journalist type, but he's played hockey growing up.  Participates in some youth hockey camps as well, but generally not a very strong hockey resume.  

The main draw for me is that I get to see snippets of some obscure leagues where our prospects are playing.  That and he also interviews our prospects on his podcast (Canucks Conversation) instead of rambling on all day about the lack of depth on our RHD.  

5 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Here's his profile ...

https://ca.linkedin.com/in/chris-faber-7b89b51bb

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

While people are drooling over B. Schneider from the NYR system, they are utterly sleeping on this kid.

Better JR production, holding his own as an 18 year old in the SHL while playing and getting decent minutes doing it.

I think people are sleeping on this kid while betting the farm on hoping for someone who is comparable.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 2

23 hours ago, Warhippy said:

While people are drooling over B. Schneider from the NYW system, they are utterly sleeping on this kid.

Better JR production, holding his own as an 18 year old in the SHL while playing and getting decent minutes doing it.

I think people are sleeping on this kid while betting the farm on hoping for someone who is comparable.

It's funny, media has beat up Benning after his departure for cupboard being bare, but its not bare. The prospects that we have are just not playing in more visible leagues. We have a lot of intriguing guys out there in Europe.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3