The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PROPOSAL: Canucks and Kings

Maybe an under the radar look at a possible deal surrounding Nate Schmidt. I would firstly want to point out I believe the Canucks should if plausible financially retain Nate Schmidt and move forward with him. 

But as the common theme or suggestion around these boards is the Canucks do need to move more cap and do need to still add to their defense, keeping this in mind and the Canucks without a 2nd or 3rd round pick in 2022 here is my proposal, maybe bland but maybe a way to upgrade a pick as well as bring in a reliable right hand defenseman to play top four minutes:

To Los Angeles:

D Nate Schmidt $ 5,950,000.00

Vancouver 2022 7th round draft choice

To Vancouver:

D Matt Roy $ 3,150,000.00

Pittsburgh's 2022 3rd round draft choice

The Kings are looking to add a couple solid NHL veterans to their club as they are pushing to transition from rebuild, coupled with a large quantity of up and coming defensemen into the system the Kings will need to upgrade on Roy as he can get passed by some of the young talent, Nate Schmidt provides a top pair/ 2nd pair option for the kings and can provide more offense then Matt Roy can offer in his game.

The Canucks make this move as they do clear $ 2.8 million off the books, they upgrade to the 3rd round after dealing a 2nd and 3rd in 2022 away. The team does not gain a pick outright as does need to send one Los Angeles' way as in the end they are taking on a bigger older salary.

Not a slam dunk of a deal, Matt Roy is very reliable in his own end, he has good speed and agility while able to play physical as well. He is signed for three seasons at $ 3.15m per and can slide up and down the defense corps, he has been playing top four minutes, is a plus player on a dreadful Kings team and can net some offense although having both Hughes and Ekman-Larsson in the top four, Roy can excel in being the reliable member of either pair.

Not a sexy trade by any means, the Kings on face value might now be as eager as Vancouver to proceed but they know they have young guys coming and Matt Roy could end up being pushed out.

Thoughts ?

Edited by Mike Vanderhoek
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

I don’t mind the idea but one thing I don’t like is Roy’s term.  He’d could just as easily be gone after three years.  It’s not the worst thing in the world, but my hope is that the Canucks can some how get someone (for Schmidt) who is proven but can also be here for the long haul.  That’s one of the reasons why I like my Andersson idea, and why I would have liked Adam Larsson.

Can Matt Roy play on a top pairing and take on the toughest match ups and not look out of place?  If so, I think it’s something that we’d obviously need to consider.   Maybe someone like Josh Manson is also an option?

Not a bad idea at all though.  Nice job Mike.

Edited by Patel Bure

17 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I don’t mind the idea but one thing I don’t like is Roy’s term.  He’d could just as easily be gone after three years.  It’s not the worst thing in the world, but my hope is that the Canucks can some how get someone (for Schmidt) who is proven but can also be here for the long haul.  That’s one of the reasons why I like my Andersson idea, and why I would have liked Adam Larsson.

Can Matt Roy play on a top pairing and take on the toughest match ups and not look out of place?  If so, I think it’s something that we’d obviously need to consider.   Maybe someone like Josh Manson is also an option?

Not a bad idea at all though.  Nice job Mike.

Matt Roy is only 26 years old vs Schmidt being 30. Schmidt carries an extra year on his contract. I like Roy's age, cap and his ability. He has been playing top four minutes for the Kings and not a true shutdown defenseman he is defensively responsible.

I looked at Josh Manson as well, little older, but Anaheim has some bigger contract dmen in the fold there and Schmidt would crowd that in my opinion. I think He and Doughty being the two go-to guys would be solid in LA. 

Thanks

14 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I really like this idea. Exactly the type of deal I think we should make for Schmidt. Well done.

I have my doubts the Kings would go for it, but I have been researching where they are at and they do want another bigger "name" veteran and while Roy is solid there have been several highly touted drafted defense prospects by the Kings to start eating minutes, Kings could use Schmidt's pedigree while moving off Roy as an unofficial stop gap as he is truly a solid dman.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Matt Roy is only 26 years old vs Schmidt being 30. Schmidt carries an extra year on his contract. I like Roy's age, cap and his ability. He has been playing top four minutes for the Kings and not a true shutdown defenseman he is defensively responsible.

I looked at Josh Manson as well, little older, but Anaheim has some bigger contract dmen in the fold there and Schmidt would crowd that in my opinion. I think He and Doughty being the two go-to guys would be solid in LA. 

Thanks

I like Roy’s age as well.  The three year term wouldn’t be a complete deal breaker for me but I’d personally prefer someone a little younger who was signed for a longer term (Andersson), or, someone who was a bit more immersed in that shut down role and had more proven experience in a top pairing role even if he was a bit older (Manson).  That’s just me though.

I don’t know a ton about Matt Roy, but he seems like more of a 2nd pairing kind of guy if I’m not mistaken.  My concern with Roy is that extended periods of playing on a first pairing will expose him.  This isn’t a one to one analogy, but it kind of reminds me of Brady Skjei.  The guy is an awesome 2nd pairing dman but simply got exposed as a top pairing guy in NYR.  Maybe I’m completely wrong about Roy here?

Regardless, I think your idea is a solid one.

Nucks need someone equal to or greater than Schmidt on that top pairing role in my opinion in terms of overall ability (just a more “defensive” oriented guy obviously).

Edited by Patel Bure