The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Draft 2021 Winners/Losers

Rate this topic

Pretty simple.  Winner/Loser format

Winner: Columbus Blue Jackets: From a purely organizational stand, I say Columbus possibly had the best draft.  That pick, Boqvist, next years 1st and 2nd, plus 2 more picks.  They truly did well this year and are already fast tracking a rebuild in a nice way.

Loser: Edmonton Oilers: Needed defense a scoring winger and or an actual goaltending prospect.  Instead got another centre possible winger who projects more as a grinder in a middle 6 role and did nothing to actually address the areas of concern they have.

Runner up:  Everyone:  This was a draft where the 17th pick in the 6th round might be the best player out of it.  So much uncertainty.  Who knows who got what in terms of projected talent because it was all just a gamble due to covid.  The next 5 years will be fun to watch

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

We'll really only have a complete picture of this draft in 3-5 years.   Yes, some teams seem like they made good franchise moves, but when you actually draft guys (not trade pics) you expect a 3-5 year development curve imo.

I think Yzerman is doing a fantastic job in Detroit. 

That's going to be a team challenging for a playoff spot sooner rather than later. 

Columbus might have had the best draft. But the organization is a shambles and is to going to take a while to regroup. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915

12 hours ago, You Mad Bro? said:

I think Chicago has to be a loser. Essentially giving up three first round draft picks, and a second round pick for Jones. Then signing him to that contract. What a $&!# show

They did it for another run at the cup with Toews and Kane. I think it's an ill-advised choice. Do they have enough space to bring in Landeskog or bring back Saad or add to their defense even further? Could they be a destination for Alex Edler? Mikael Granlund? 

If I were Bowman, I go scorched earth on this team. Build around Sillinger, Dach, Boqvist, Hardman, Kubalik, Strome, Beaudin and others. Who do they have in goal? Plus they could keep Kane and Toews to help the youth grow, like how we kept the Sedins. Instead their loading up like they're taking home a fourth cup. Ridiculous. 

• Cheers 1

Montreal - losers and any other descriptor you want.

Edmonton - losers, this team has had bad goaltending since Cujo left town and they blew a chance to draft the best prospect but passed.

Columbus - winners, liked their first round selections. 

Minny - winners, see above.

On 7/25/2021 at 3:38 AM, VegasCanuck said:

I think the Canucks were big winners this year. They completely overhauled the team, flushed out 3 contracts of essentially dead space totaling 12 million. They picked up a top 4 defense and a top 6 forward and still managed to come away with some intriguing picks.

Hmm saying Benning flushing out 3 contracts was a win is like paying to repair your parents car after crashing it while driving drunk as a noble thing to do. 

• Haha 2

Winners:

Detroit Red Wings - I love their pick of Edvinsson, who they can pair with their 2019 first rounder Seider. Their trade up for Cossa was ballsy, as Wallstedt was still on the board, but they got the guy they wanted. I think it's awesome they got a guy named Red Savage to wear the red & white, and it just happened to be a great value pick, along with Plendowski.

Nashville Predators - Svechkov was one of my favourite players in the draft, and he went later than I expected at 19. I was hoping Zachary L'Heureux would drop to the Devils, so they could take him, but the Preds snagged him up.

Columbus Blue Jackets - They turned a gloomy situation with Seth Jones asking for a trade into a potential turning point for the team. They got 20 year old blueliner Adam Boqvist, who already has NHL experience and has shown promise, a 2021 second rounder (which they flipped to Carolina for puck-moving defenseman Jake Bean), and a 2022 1st rounder, which I might actually value more than a 1st rounder in this weird year. They also swapped picks with Chicago--moving up 20 slots--which enabled them to get Sillinger. Although I didn't love Sillinger as a fit for the Canucks, he's a safe pick for Columbus, after swinging for the fences with Kent Johnson at 5th overall.

Vancouver Canucks - Benning actually did it: He unloaded our three worst contracts in Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel. And he got a top 4 defenseman (at worst) in Ekman-Larsson, and a top 6 forward in Garland while doing it. I was certainly nervous watching the draft that Eklund or Clarke would drop to 9 (I knew Hughes would go to the Devils), but they went right before. Benning bet that none of the Big 4 D-men would be there for us, and won. That is a huge win for us. Love the Klimovich pick too.

Losers:

Ottawa Senators - Doing a bunch of reaches--and acting like you know better than anybody--is not a good draft strategy.

Edmonton Oilers - Why did they pass on Wallstedt to trade down? And they barely got anything out of it too. Don't really like any of their picks.

Montreal Canadians - You can't defend the Mailloux pick, any way you cut it. To say they will "teach him the consequences of his actions" when they drafted him in the first round--belying those consequences--is just unacceptable. The owner actually came out and said, "We told him that he can't come to training camp," "We feel for the victim," blah blah. What a joke. How is he supposed to learn from his actions when he was drafted in the first round? They could have got him later. Most GMs took him off their boards.

• Vintage 1