Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Winter Olympics 2030 Vancouver

Rate this topic


canuckster19
 Share

Recommended Posts

So I read today on Wikipedia that Vancouver is bidding again only 20 years later. Is there any talk of this in the media? I don’t think it’s a dumb idea, I imagine most of the infrastructure remains in place and it’s probably a better idea to rotate between a few select cities because of this. Anyways anyone know any more regarding this?

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everything looks to be still in place.  Whistler/Blackcomb, Rogers Arena, the Pacific Coliseum, the Oval in Richmond.  Of course the highway to get to Whistler is all completed which was one of the major projects for the Olympics.  The one thing that has been upgraded is BC Place.  We didn't have an open roof for 2010, so that plus the renovation to the entire building is a major upgrade for the next Olympics.

 

I'm just hoping this time around they figure out how to get those torches lighted all at the same time...  ^_^

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its a great idea. All the negative ninnies that complained about it last time we wrong, it was a fantastic event and we have great facilities left over from it. I'm all for it, would love to see it happen again. 

 

I still chuckle about the people that left town to miss it all on purpose. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beijing reusing/renovating several sites from 2008 for 2022.  See what kind of job they do. That is from summer to winter games.

 

Vancouver has less work to do, winter to winter, the cauldron is still functional.  BC place now has an open roof. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember being neutral about the 2010 bid (neither for nor against), but did question the priorities of government for taking on the games when there were so many other things that needed attention.

 

11 years after the games, I'm still left questioning if it was a good use of resources for the area.  Sure, it's increased the profile of the city (helping along what was started in 1986), and resulted in some infrastructure being built (expanding Hwy 99, a partially-built Skytrain line that really should have been extended south of the Fraser, additional facilities that got repurposed for community-use activities) that may not necessarily have been priority without the games, and it supposedly came in within budget (how much number-fudging and overstating of benefits is another discussion altogether).  But was it really what we needed?  It hasn't helped to alleviate the issue of affordable housing, it hasn't really infused much benefit to our health system, and our transportation system is still a dog to commute with.

 

I'm neutral about a bid for 2030, but I think having seen the financial failures of the most recent decade of games, and the inflexibility of the IOC in letting the host city determine whether or not a games may proceed for public health reasons, I have to admit that if I were to pick a side, I would probably be against this time around.  &^@# the IOC and its money-grubbing &^@#wads.

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I would probably be against this time around.  &^@# the IOC and its money-grubbing &^@#wads.

I'm in a similar boat, I loved 2010 and the energy in the city, I'll remember running around downtown as a high school senior with my friends because we got 2 weeks off school watching the games with large groups outside until I die, but I can't support anything to do with the IOC anymore. The Canada line was a mess and everyone wanted a proper extension into the valley which we wont get this time around either, so what's the point? We will spend money on pointless replacements for the old infrastructure, lose taxpayer money which should be invested in public transit which is still terrible in the lower mainland and the IOC gets loaded because we can host a great games.

 

I don't have confidence in the IOC or the local governments to do the taxpayers justice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Beijing reusing/renovating several sites from 2008 for 2022.  See what kind of job they do. That is from summer to winter games.

 

Vancouver has less work to do, winter to winter, the cauldron is still functional.  BC place now has an open roof. 

wat?

 

Flame-lighting marred by mechanical malfunction - The San Diego  Union-Tribune

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2021 at 12:58 AM, canuckster19 said:

So I read today on Wikipedia that Vancouver is bidding again only 20 years later. Is there any talk of this in the media? I don’t think it’s a dumb idea, I imagine most of the infrastructure remains in place and it’s probably a better idea to rotate between a few select cities because of this. Anyways anyone know any more regarding this?

Everything but the housing and one arena they used for curling is still around.  I'd say yes just so Whistler and Vancouver get more housing built. A bit selfish but is what it is ;)

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2021 at 5:57 AM, Alflives said:

Olympics have lost their shine. 

 

respectfully disagree Alf. Its the only major stage we have for women in sport, for one thing. Lets not take that from them.

 

2010 was a hell of a lot of fun and left some really great facilities. This time around we can actually leave new housing for people too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2021 at 9:38 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I remember being neutral about the 2010 bid (neither for nor against), but did question the priorities of government for taking on the games when there were so many other things that needed attention.

 

11 years after the games, I'm still left questioning if it was a good use of resources for the area.  Sure, it's increased the profile of the city (helping along what was started in 1986), and resulted in some infrastructure being built (expanding Hwy 99, a partially-built Skytrain line that really should have been extended south of the Fraser, additional facilities that got repurposed for community-use activities) that may not necessarily have been priority without the games, and it supposedly came in within budget (how much number-fudging and overstating of benefits is another discussion altogether).  But was it really what we needed?  It hasn't helped to alleviate the issue of affordable housing, it hasn't really infused much benefit to our health system, and our transportation system is still a dog to commute with.

 

I'm neutral about a bid for 2030, but I think having seen the financial failures of the most recent decade of games, and the inflexibility of the IOC in letting the host city determine whether or not a games may proceed for public health reasons, I have to admit that if I were to pick a side, I would probably be against this time around.  &^@# the IOC and its money-grubbing &^@#wads.

You've brought up so many great points. I still think the Sea to Ski Hwy was totally unneeded. Just the cost alone to get through Caulfied was through the roof.  Anyone traveling to the ferry terminal knows that. The Olympic Committee weren't allowing any extra "tourists" to Whistler for security reasons alone. The retractable roof on BC Place was never fully published, the contractor lost their shirts, the Convention Center cost way more than it will ever recoup, and how much did the small communities benefit from the Olympic legacy? The Campbell Gov't in their infinite wisdom decided to toll all the new bridges in the Lower Mainland, but not the Hwy to Whistler. I'm still wondering why! I'm so glad that we've seen the last of the Red Mitten Gang. That said, the only time people in Canada get to see sport involving non mainstream events is through the Olympics. The cost alone to the host cities is over the top corrupt though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

You've brought up so many great points. I still think the Sea to Ski Hwy was totally unneeded. Just the cost alone to get through Caulfied was through the roof.  Anyone traveling to the ferry terminal knows that. The Olympic Committee weren't allowing any extra "tourists" to Whistler for security reasons alone. The retractable roof on BC Place was never fully published, the contractor lost their shirts, the Convention Center cost way more than it will ever recoup, and how much did the small communities benefit from the Olympic legacy? The Campbell Gov't in their infinite wisdom decided to toll all the new bridges in the Lower Mainland, but not the Hwy to Whistler. I'm still wondering why! I'm so glad that we've seen the last of the Red Mitten Gang. That said, the only time people in Canada get to see sport involving non mainstream events is through the Olympics. The cost alone to the host cities is over the top corrupt though.

just curious, how often do you drive that? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2021 at 9:03 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

wat?

 

Flame-lighting marred by mechanical malfunction - The San Diego  Union-Tribune

 

https://vancouversbestplaces.com/city-of-vancouver/convention-centre/olympic-cauldron/

During Vancouver’s Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2010 there were two Olympic torch cauldrons in the city, including this one by the Convention Centre.

 

One was indoors at BC Place Stadium and the other was downtown outside by the Vancouver Convention Centre. Although no longer still lit, the Olympic Cauldron at the Convention Centre still exists and is available for viewing.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2021 at 9:38 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

But was it really what we needed?  It hasn't helped to alleviate the issue of affordable housing, it hasn't really infused much benefit to our health system, and our transportation system is still a dog to commute with.

Don't you think its a little unrealistic to expect the games to fix homelessness and pay for our healthcare? 

 

As far as transportation goes, the sea to sky is much safer to drive and helps with a major tourist money machine to keep rolling (to help pay for things like healthcare). The skytrain to the airport was a great idea, still paying dividends.

 

Its not an either-or argument. Its not paying for the games OR fixing our systems. The games are new money, investments that we would not see otherwise. Its not healthcare vs the games. 

 

A 2030 games however can piggyback on all the infrastructure we did build and pay off already. If we're smart about it, we could actually build a lot of new housing downtown for all of the media and IOC needs, and probably leave hundreds of new affordable units left over. Whats wrong with that? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...