The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Drance & Dhaliwal: Jake McCabe & Brendan Smith are two D UFAs Canucks will be interested in

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Are we planning on moving Quinn over to the right side? 

Starting to feel the same thing.  If we are it certainly solidified the top pairing with OEL and Hughes.  Potentially allows Joulevi and Rathbone to be in the lineup more often.

• Vintage 1

So……where’s the size and strength, Jim? 

Myers is certainly a large human being, but outside of him, there aren’t any overly imposing defensemen in the corps. 

If the price is right, I want us to make a run at either Kulikov (Podz' designed buddy) or Hjalmarsson (veteran leadership, low maint hardworking Swede who can cover both sides)

Edited by RakuRaku

Neither are righties and neither are Tylers. Hard pass. Get em outta my face. Media knows we have Rathbone, Juolevi, Schmidt (for now), Hughes and OEL on the left side right? Even with Schmidt gone that's 4 lefties that should on the roster.

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Smith is 4M?! 34 years old

Nope

Too old rather keep Edler at 750,000

Pretty sure Edler won't be an option and would command well over the League minimum, he will earn a nice contract elsewhere.

McCabe would be the type of dman needed, Smith who can play right side would be the more natural fit.

Smith is above 30 yrs old say people will scream that he's not 24 haha but he is reliable physical, team first, major leadership qualities.

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So……where’s the size and strength, Jim? 

Myers is certainly a large human being, but outside of him, there aren’t any overly imposing defensemen in the corps. 

I’m still hopeful of a Hamonic Re-sign,  and if the timing is right we might get a pick with Zadorov for Schmidt.

seems like the Hawks are closing the door on Z who is asking 4m apparently.

I think he would qualify (3.5m?) with us for a 1 or 2 year bridge .

• Vintage 1
2 minutes ago, combover said:

Who? 
are they better than giving rathbone and OJ a legit shot. 

wouldn’t want to save any cap space. 

The team still needs NHL defensemen, they can add bodies and still have space for Juolevi to push to take the next step and get Rathbone established at the NHL level.

We also don't know if Schmidt moves or not, could be dealt without a Dman coming back.

Smith is tough, plays right side, offers leadership and keeps the opposition honest, he could prove to be a nice stop gap and mentor to help the young guys. He's just not in his twenties anymore so the fanbase will look down on that option.

• Hydration 1
3 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

McCabe and Smith would be decent depth LHDs.  Not sure about McCabe but I know Smith played both LD and RD with NYR (and LW too for that matter).  Smith is a bit of an agitator and will back it up with his fists if needed.

I wonder if Rathbone will spend most of the year with Abbotsford.  Someone else mentioned how the proximity of the farm team might allow for the Canucks to carry players differently.  Since Rathbone is still waiver exempt, maybe they might actually try to sign a LHD who can play regular top 6 minutes and just drop in Rathbone whenever needed?  

Why?  We're so flush with veterans anyways, might as well pair him up with one so he can learn the ropes from them over the course of a full season, while also helping with our cap situation (while he's on ELC).  He looked good while he was here last season too and played 15 minutes a night.  

McCabe would be ideal but I don't see how we can sign one of these guys as well as Hamonic. Personally I'd rather have Hamonic, he really built some chemistry with Hughes which has proven hard to do. Yes, we lose out some physicality, but Hamonic can play tough if needed.

They must just be chatting to these guys to see what their cost would be and compare it to Hamonic. There's always a possibility Edler comes back for a reduced fee too. We could see a lot of combinations next season. 

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

McCabe would be ideal but I don't see how we can sign one of these guys as well as Hamonic. Personally I'd rather have Hamonic, he really built some chemistry with Hughes which has proven hard to do. Yes, we lose out some physicality, but Hamonic can play tough if needed.

They must just be chatting to these guys to see what their cost would be and compare it to Hamonic. There's always a possibility Edler comes back for a reduced fee too. We could see a lot of combinations next season. 

I know Hamonic is considered ancient (30 years old) on this board but I would like to see him signed for 3-4 years on a decent contract if possible.