The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What kind of 4th line center should Benning pursue?

4C candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Which options would you be happy w/ as the Canucks choice for 4C? Choose as many that you feel would satisfy the roll.

My take is that it will have to be someone who can transition seamlessly into wing when needed, as Green might roll Petey - Horvat - Miller down the middle at times pushing Dicky onto the 4th, now that he has that option. Ideally, it would also be a player who can effectively munch up some of Beagle's PK ability.

Edited by Teemu Selänne

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Dickinson will be 3C.  Sutter, if he signs for 2 x 2, will be the 4C.

That would be ideal IMO. A 4th line of Motte - Dickinson - Sutter if Green goes with three offensive lines at times would also be a line that could hold their own.

I think Khaira is the next best option probably considering his PK ability. He would also be cheaper than Sutts probably

I like the idea of Khaira. 
Big, tough, though not the best mobility. 
I would like to cut the cord on Sutter.  Part of bigger shakeup. 
The youth has been carrying this team and the vets Benning has brought in have almost universally disappointed.  
Time to move on from the vestiges of the “Last Hurrah for the Sedin’s” era.  It was a miserable failure and getting as far away from it as possible would be best IMO.

He could barely stay healthy and really only showed brief flashes of good play when in the lineup. Move on and find someone younger, cheaper, healthier and meaner. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

That would be ideal IMO. A 4th line of Motte - Dickinson - Sutter if Green goes with three offensive lines at times would also be a line that could hold their own.

I think Khaira is the next best option probably considering his PK ability. He would also be cheaper than Sutts probably

Is Khaira a centre?  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is Khaira a centre?  

Yep. Has been utilized as both C or LW. Was trusted for 3rd amongst Edmonton players last year in terms of face-offs taken, 2nd short-handed.

He was used primarily as a winger the year before tho

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ForzaTikare said:

How About Alexander Wennberg - UFA from Panthers coming off a 2.25M 1yr contract.. Should be a good 3/4C?

Think he might sign a 4yr 1.75M contract or smth?

I like Wennberg but he had a pretty good comeback season with 29 points in 56 games - including 17 goals. I don't know if being pitched a potential 4th line role would work for him. If we did sign him I'm guessing he'd play 3C with Podz on his wing, and Dickinson would be moved to the 4th line.

I think he'll get a raise from last year, decent consensus that he played well. I'm guessing 2.9-3.5M range.

Anything but 3mil for 3 years pls. But this time he doesnt have the cap, so we should be safe. The we need veteran presence to protect our kids is a BS excuse. None of the elite teams overpay their 3rd/4th lines. The players on making up the 2 lines should be engaged and excited to compete on this team, not taking a payday to be here. 

16 minutes ago, bree2 said:

2 more years of broken down Sutter? no way!

thanks Bree2.

Should be a player who contributes on the ice instead of being sidelined with injuries for most of the season.

Graovac or Boyd or any other 4C but no Sutter.

I understood from Jim Benning's  comments in his press  conference that Canucks  are open to re-sign him.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I like the idea of Khaira. 
Big, tough, though not the best mobility. 
I would like to cut the cord on Sutter.  Part of bigger shakeup. 
The youth has been carrying this team and the vets Benning has brought in have almost universally disappointed.  
Time to move on from the vestiges of the “Last Hurrah for the Sedin’s” era.  It was a miserable failure and getting as far away from it as possible would be best IMO.

He could barely stay healthy and really only showed brief flashes of good play when in the lineup. Move on and find someone younger, cheaper, healthier and meaner. 

"Last Hurrah for the Sedin's" - I like this phrase a lot.

agree with almost everthing you posted except the idea of bringing in Khaira, because there is a good reason / there are good reasons why Oilers won't make him a qualifiying offer.

Main Knock on Khaira is his inconsistency.

Derick Brassard  1-1.5m

Hard to believe the team doesn't have a prospect that can step in and play 4C, but alas, here we are.  I'm not impressed with Graovac, but I do have high hopes for Focht; although he is a couple of years away from the NHL.  If Brass has a good season, then re-up him for another year.

2 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

can't imagine that Travis will play Dickinson on the 4th line. Dickinson has been playing on the top 6 in Dallas for most part of the year.

• Upvote 1

Id look within.

MacEwen could be a good fit for that role. Big hard hitting when he wants to be.

Hoglander-Pettersson-Podkolzin

Miller-Horvat-Boeser
Pearson-Dickinson-Garland

Motte-MacEwen-Gadjovich/Virtanen

Highmore

OEL-Rafferty (see what the kids got)

Hughes-Myers

Juolevi-Ceci

48 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

thanks Bree2.

Should be a player who contributes on the ice instead of being sidelined with injuries for most of the season.

Graovac or Boyd or any other 4C but no Sutter.

I understood from Jim Benning's  comments in his press  conference that Canucks  are open to re-sign him.

i really hope they don't, we are finally moving forward , there is no need to move back