The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What kind of 4th line center should Benning pursue?

4C candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think a shortish term deal 1yr pref - 2yr max 1-1.5M - Bridge our C vaccum in the hope that we can fill from within by the 2 yr mark.

No problems bringing Sutter back if he will take pay in that region. Tho his injury history probably means we need a backup C and i'm not really sure who that is looking at the Abby roster - organization C depth is still a huge problem - losing Lind and Jasek no working out :( 

Getzlaf sounds interesting - haven't seen much of him in the past 2 years so not sure how much of a cliff he has fallen off. His size would great back there tho. 

Actually really liked what i saw from the short stint of Graovac this year - can he make it through a whole season and maintain that end of season play ? If so i'm good ! 

2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Anything but 3mil for 3 years pls. But this time he doesnt have the cap, so we should be safe. The we need veteran presence to protect our kids is a BS excuse. None of the elite teams overpay their 3rd/4th lines. The players on making up the 2 lines should be engaged and excited to compete on this team, not taking a payday to be here. 

I don't think the player needs to be a vet at this point. 3 years ago, I think the mentorship and consistency was a fine a idea, but Horvat, Miller, Boeser aren't exactly new to the league anymore.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Derick Brassard  1-1.5m

Hard to believe the team doesn't have a prospect that can step in and play 4C, but alas, here we are.  I'm not impressed with Graovac, but I do have high hopes for Focht; although he is a couple of years away from the NHL.  If Brass has a good season, then re-up him for another year.

Added Brassard to the poll

Wonder if OEL and Garland would give any inside track to the Canucks. Haven't heard anything special, but they did play on the same team last year.

I always thought he was underrated but didn't pay attn to him much the last two years

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

can't imagine that Travis will play Dickinson on the 4th line. Dickinson has been playing on the top 6 in Dallas for most part of the year.

I agree for the most part, but I think we'll see some interesting line combos next year with Miller being keen on C and the Canucks having a pretty full top-9 on the wings: Boeser, Hoggie, Pearson, Garland, Podkolzin. And rumours that Benning wants one more forward. But I agree Dicky is too good for a 4th line

21 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Getzlaf sees us as being a cup contender.  And he will get to live in Vancouver.  I'm sure Kesler and Bieksa told him how beautiful it is up here.  Get it done Benning!!

Hahah. Does he????

Lol i'm sure Kesler was the Canucks' greatest ambassador down there

27 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I think a shortish term deal 1yr pref - 2yr max 1-1.5M - Bridge our C vaccum in the hope that we can fill from within by the 2 yr mark.

No problems bringing Sutter back if he will take pay in that region. Tho his injury history probably means we need a backup C and i'm not really sure who that is looking at the Abby roster - organization C depth is still a huge problem - losing Lind and Jasek no working out :( 

Getzlaf sounds interesting - haven't seen much of him in the past 2 years so not sure how much of a cliff he has fallen off. His size would great back there tho. 

Actually really liked what i saw from the short stint of Graovac this year - can he make it through a whole season and maintain that end of season play ? If so i'm good ! 

I didn't mind Graovac either. Thought he played with good energy, used his size to protect the puck well. 4 points in 14 games isn't a terrible pace for a 4th line C either.

4 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Yep. Has been utilized as both C or LW. Was trusted for 3rd amongst Edmonton players last year in terms of face-offs taken, 2nd short-handed.

He was used primarily as a winger the year before tho

Would be a popular local kid. Extra physical dimension to team.

Miller-Petey-Garland

Hogs-Bo-Brock

Pearson-Dickers-Motte

Highmore-Kaira-Podz

Playoff ready?

10 minutes ago, Victor1915 said:

Would be a popular local kid. Extra physical dimension to team.

Miller-Petey-Garland

Hogs-Bo-Brock

Pearson-Dickers-Motte

Highmore-Kaira-Podz

Playoff ready?

I think Podkolzin is ready for the top-9 after his monster playoff in the K. I see it more like this:

Miller - Petey - Boeser

Hog - Horvat - Garland

Pearson - Dicky - Podkolzin

Motte  - ______ -  Highmore

Motte and Highmore are both high motor players, so maybe Khaira would be too slow to keep up with them - on the other hand, he could possibly compliment them well with his size and puck possession abilities, and especially help Vancouver's PK. To me, either Khaira or Getzlaf could kind of play that steadier C role, dishing up to other speedy winger while helping the cycle and defensive ends of things.

On the other hand, securing a fast-paced, all heart 4C with some scoring abilities might the line extremely annoying to play against. Brassard might actually fit that mold kind of well IMO.

2 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I think Podkolzin is ready for the top-9 after his monster playoff in the K. I see it more like this:

Miller - Petey - Boeser

Hog - Horvat - Garland

Pearson - Dicky - Podkolzin

Motte  - ______ -  Highmore

Motte and Highmore are both high motor players, so maybe Khaira would be too slow to keep up with them - on the other hand, he could possibly compliment them well with his size and puck possession abilities, and especially help Vancouver's PK. To me, either Khaira or Getzlaf could kind of play that steadier C role, dishing up to other speedy winger while helping the cycle and defensive ends of things.

On the other hand, securing a fast-paced, all heart 4C with some scoring abilities might the line extremely annoying to play against. Brassard might actually fit that mold kind of well IMO.

Good points. Although I believe Podz will start on the 4th line, albeit very briefly.

• Cheers 1

What’s our penalty killing depth look like? So far we have Motte and Dickinson manning the first unit. Have to think Horvat/Miller will get some time in the PK role for their faceoffs. Highmore should see some time there and it all depends if we can groom Pearson/Hog/Pod into some PK time as well. The only thing that worries me is Motte’s health so if we aren’t comfortable with our depth we should go for a strictly defensive PK center who could preferably win faceoffs well. Not opposed to Sutter at the right price but he has injury concerns as well.

Would really like to sign Getzlaf tho. His size and toughness would be welcomed in the bottom 6 and he has that Corey Perry veteran effect of a proven winner. He could also help our power play as well whether it be leading the 2nd unit or being set up man for our shooters on the 1st unit. Still has that elite vision and passing.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, ButterBean said:

What’s our penalty killing depth look like? So far we have Motte and Dickinson manning the first unit. Have to think Horvat/Miller will get some time in the PK role for their faceoffs. Highmore should see some time there and it all depends if we can groom Pearson/Hog/Pod into some PK time as well. The only thing that worries me is Motte’s health so if we aren’t comfortable with our depth we should go for a strictly defensive PK center who could preferably win faceoffs well. Not opposed to Sutter at the right price but he has injury concerns as well.

Would really like to sign Getzlaf tho. His size and toughness would be welcomed in the bottom 6 and he has that Corey Perry veteran effect of a proven winner. He could also help our power play as well whether it be leading the 2nd unit or being set up man for our shooters on the 1st unit. Still has that elite vision and passing.

thats part of the reason i think Khaira is a solid addition. Edmonton has been 2nd and then 9th on the PK in the last two years. Khaira was 4th amongst Oilers forwards in SH TOI/GP in 2019-2020 and 2nd amognst Oilers forwards last year - PKing between 1:30-2:00 mins per game

It's not quite Beagle levels, but it's more than most suitable options have accomplished IMO

• Vintage 1

I selected other, aka fourth line centre by committee.

There are a number of players who could play this role, many are listed in the poll but I would like to see someone step up and take the bull by the horns and win it outright. Who that is remains to be seen at this point.

• Cheers 1

I’m torn, I don’t really care for Getzlaf after his time in Anaheim. This being said if he wants to come here for at or around league minimum it’s probably a good idea. I think it would boil down to his reasoning. If it’s “one more kick at the can” then I will pass. If he sees what our lineup is and believes he can help the youngsters push for a cup then it’s worth a low cap hit short term gamble. 

7 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

thats part of the reason i think Khaira is a solid addition. Edmonton has been 2nd and then 9th on the PK in the last two years. Khaira was 4th amongst Oilers forwards in SH TOI/GP in 2019-2020 and 2nd amognst Oilers forwards last year - PKing between 1:30-2:00 mins per game

It's not quite Beagle levels, but it's more than most suitable options have accomplished IMO

Don’t mind that at all. Hometown kid who has size and energy. As long as he stays away from fighting he could be very useful. 

• Upvote 1

Based on current options in FA: Khaira, Gaudreau and Amadio stand out as potentially inexpensive and reasonably effective options.  I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Sutter back but it would have to be around $1M and I do think a team may be willing to offer him a bit more than that.  I like Khaira but I think one issue for him is that he's a LH shot which would leave the Canucks without a single RH shot C.  For that reason alone I don't know if the Canucks would pursue him as a 4C but might still check in on him for depth. 

Personally I think Gaudreau would be good, but Amadio could be intriguing too.  He's a fairly big guy and has some offensive upside.  Went through the LAK system which has produced a lot of physical bottom 6 players.

Other guys are a mix of players who can play RH shooting C but spend a lot of time at W:  Rowney, Riley Nash and Glendening.  Of these three I like Nash the most.

Getzlaf and Zajac are options too I guess, but I find it unlikely that they would sign with the Canucks.

Whoever it is, they have to be very good at faceoffs and penalty killing, by my count we only have 2 forwards that are any good at the PK. Dickinson and Motte are good, Miller is okay but we need him to not be on the PK all the time. Pearson and Bo aren't very good on the PK. Petey needs to start PK'ing if he wants to get paid like a top guy.

Basically we need a Sutter that is cheap, can actually make a pass and isn't injured all the time. 

Edited by FlyLow_

On 7/25/2021 at 6:41 AM, Teemu Selänne said:

Which options would you be happy w/ as the Canucks choice for 4C? Choose as many that you feel would satisfy the roll.

My take is that it will have to be someone who can transition seamlessly into wing when needed, as Green might roll Petey - Horvat - Miller down the middle at times pushing Dicky onto the 4th, now that he has that option. Ideally, it would also be a player who can effectively munch up some of Beagle's PK ability.

My guess is that one of Boyd or Highmore will take that 4th line C spot....likely Boyd.

Motte-Highmore-MacEwen 

OR

Motte-Boyd-Highmore

Benning and Weisbrod seemed quite high on Travis Boyd and so I think they’ll give him a legit shot.   

I get the feeling that the Canucks want that 4th line to be full of energy and tenacity and so I’m not sure if a guy like Brandon Sutter will necessarily fit that mold.  That, combined with his injury prone nature, likely closes the book on Brandon Sutter in my opinion.

Boyd also gives us a RH option and presence down there.  Guys like Graovich and MacEwen also give us RH options.

So to answer your question, I think that 4th line C spot will be an internal promotion.

41 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I thought Dickinson was lacking in the offensive game. I’ve been looking at him more as the 4th line Center and number 1 pker. I think we bring in Wennberg for the 3C spot.

I don’t think we will be able to afford Wenneberg once we re-up Pettersson, Hughes, and Garland.

Due to the state of the Canucks Cap, as well as their needs, it's best that any prospective 4C be defensively responsible, and cost no more than $1.25 million on a 1 or 2 year deal. Some options include the following:

- Riley Nash 

- Julhar Khaira

- Artem Anisimov

- Pierre Édourard-Bellemard

- Luke Glendening

Bonus depth centre would be T.J Tynan. More of a first call-up option. Great playmaking ability, stuck behind a stacked Avalanche team.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, therodigy said:

Due to the state of the Canucks Cap, as well as their needs, it's best that any prospective 4C be defensively responsible, and cost no more than $1.25 million on a 1 or 2 year deal. Some options include the following:

- Riley Nash 

- Julhar Khaira

- Artem Anisimov

- Pierre Édourard-Bellemard

- Luke Glendening

Bonus depth centre would be T.J Tynan. More of a first call-up option. Great playmaking ability, stuck behind a stacked Avalanche team.

Riley Nash would be an intriguing option as he does have some offensive ability, and brings a right hand shot, decent f/o stats. I think Khaira has been a more effective PKer recently, but depends what Benning feels they need from that position.