The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Canucks terminate Virtanen’s contract

3 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Cya, nothing positive to say about the kid. 

What are you talking about? 

You don't have  anything positive to say about pretty much nothing. Go crawl back in your hole. 

• Haha 1

Just now, SilentSam said:

JB just cleared about 14m off the cap in 2 days.

adding a third highly skilled D man in OEL and having Arizona retain 1m of his hit, and a player who plays kinda like B Marchand in Garland.

Thats not bad for a 9th OA draft pick.

And a second. But still, slow Captain Morgan clap JB, slow clap. 

15 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

If we didn't have Jake, it still wouldn't be a reason to bring in a locker room cancer.  For all Jake's flaws, he still has less character issues than Tkachuk.

OK... Forgive me if I've been ignorant, what kind of character issues does Tkachuk have?? 

He put up so many points in his career, plays on the edge although some hits were pretty dirty... But did he get himself into such a deep trouble like this?? He gave his all in every shift!! 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Jack Fig said:

How perfect would that be? 

Perfect. Perfect would be Jake taking Marner and AM to the peeler bars all summer instead of working out and they all show up out of shape. Haha. That's my kind of perfect. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

JB just cleared about 14m off the cap in 2 days.

adding a third highly skilled D man in OEL and having Arizona retain 1m of his hit, and a player who plays kinda like B Marchand in Garland.

Thats not bad for a 9th OA draft pick.

He didn't clear all $14M of cap space... Much of it covers OEL and Garland's $....

Does Garland really play like Marchand? Now that's a sweet surprise!! Just thought he's a small sniper. 

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

And a second. But still, slow Captain Morgan clap JB, slow clap. 

Despite the easy hindsight to look at flaws..

the timing of all these moves couldn’t be better with our core.

good things to come.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think Green was correct all along in the way he 'managed' Virtanen - inching him along, making him earn it, making him develop off the puck first and foremost, not giving him anything prematurely (whereas prior to Green, the team brought a pair of fairly young-minded prospects into the fold prematurely imo - both Virtanen and McCann) - whereas Green was trying to cultivate that drive to earn more and be consistent as a basis to earning more. 

Virtanen appeared to understand and respect what Green was doing - one of the key reasons I had patience with Virtanen - he never appeared disappointed with his role, he never appeared to question what Green was teaching/telling him.  

For some people becoming an 'adult' doesn't come until the mid-20s (if ever) - unfortunately growing up off the ice came too late, where mistakes don't cost a (relatively) meaningless goal or penalty.  Anyhow - I see no point in hating on 'kids' - and while I hate using that term even in relation to young prospects, that's what Virtanen was when he was drafted, and seems to have remained for a few years post-draft.  

I wish the best for the young woman - and if the right things are done - for Jake as well.

This is exactly how I feel about Jake and his time here. I wish him all the best and hope he ultimately succeeds by learning and growing from this experience. 

You're absolutely right - imo - about the pace of becoming an adult and how growing up came too late. I'm hopeful that there will come a time in his mid-late 20s where he'll want to get serious about his life and career. 

I see this as a big opportunity for him on deeper levels away from the ice. I also wish the best for the young woman as well. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Jack Fig said:

Overall, I like that Jim seems to be cleaning up a lot of stuff. Value-less contracts gone, Problem-Jake out, moving on from Edler. This camp should have a feel of newness to it with the core intact but plenty of new bodies coming in, too. Jim has gotten in touch with his ruthless side. It was necessary. 

Amen brother

2 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

He didn't clear all $14M of cap space... Much of it covers OEL and Garland's $....

Does Garland really play like Marchand? Now that's a sweet surprise!! Just thought he's a small sniper. 

Think of OEL as Edlers 6m..

yes Garland needs to sign,.  But that’s not an atrocious contract.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Tofu disappeared in the last round like he disappeared in our last playoff round. With realignment he's not going to get anywhere near the goal totals. 

And the space left by not re-signing Toffoli - was not Virtanen's - it was Hoglander's - and when push comes to shove if this team emerges as a contender, I'm pretty confident that Hoglander is/will also be the type of player you "win with" - if anything, he's a 200ft buzzsaw/puckhound that is only going to get bettter and better- and if his linemates had better conditions this season and were more productive, it's not a stretch to imagine him among the Calder candidates.

You aint gonna catch me second-guessing the decision - because even beyond Boeser and Hoglander, RW remains imo one of, if not the team's position with the most youth depth.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Think of OEL as Edlers 6m..

yes Garland needs to sign,.  But that’s not an atrocious contract.

Let's hope Dickinson and Garland won't ask for big$.... Coz their agents probably know JB is a very generous man!! $3M as a starting point for 4the liners lol... 

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 3

1 hour ago, Jack Fig said:

Overall, I like that Jim seems to be cleaning up a lot of stuff. Value-less contracts gone, Problem-Jake out, moving on from Edler. This camp should have a feel of newness to it with the core intact but plenty of new bodies coming in, too. Jim has gotten in touch with his ruthless side. It was necessary. 

I agree. But here's a scenario for $&!#s and giggles. All of what's happened this last few weeks were the twins ideas. They showed up at the job interview with this exact plan and JB was like, "ah ya, sure, that's what I was going to do" lol. I'm kind of in a goofy mood today. Lol. 

• Haha 2