The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Canucks terminate Virtanen’s contract

5 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Let's hope Dickinson and Garland won't ask for big$.... Coz their agents probably know JB is a very generous man!! $3M as a starting point for 4the liners lol... 

Yeah, about that bro...

Pretty sure Garland is a legitimate top six guy. Dickinson ain't no slouch either.

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I defended him all the way up until sexual misconduct. I hope it's not true, but the allegations alone are enough for me to say we need to cut ties. Take care Jake. Unless you're a pervert, in which case. Grow up Jake. Either way. This is a positive step forward for us, and can be for him if he learns from all this stuff. Even Kassian started to learn, and he looks like he's from a different era in human history.

The allegations that they took place when the team was also at hotel makes Jakes act more unacceptable and unprofessional, shows his mind is always somewhere else and not focused. No wonder he couldn't develop properly very glad he is gone.

6 hours ago, oldnews said:

I think Green was correct all along in the way he 'managed' Virtanen - inching him along, making him earn it, making him develop off the puck first and foremost, not giving him anything prematurely (whereas prior to Green, the team brought a pair of fairly young-minded prospects into the fold prematurely imo - both Virtanen and McCann) - whereas Green was trying to cultivate that drive to earn more and be consistent as a basis to earning more. 

Virtanen appeared to understand and respect what Green was doing - one of the key reasons I had patience with Virtanen - he never appeared disappointed with his role, he never appeared to question what Green was teaching/telling him.  

For some people becoming an 'adult' doesn't come until the mid-20s (if ever) - unfortunately growing up off the ice came too late, where mistakes don't cost a (relatively) meaningless goal or penalty.  Anyhow - I see no point in hating on 'kids' - and while I hate using that term even in relation to young prospects, that's what Virtanen was when he was drafted, and seems to have remained for a few years post-draft.  

I wish the best for the young woman - and if the right things are done - for Jake as well.

He never seemed disappointed because he didn't care as long as he could party and be a hockey players. I rather have a guy who hates to lose and is disappointed at times than someone who shows up overweight multiple times and just coasts around.

2 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I hope he gets his life sorted out, I’d still like to see what he could do on a different team but first he needs to address his demons.

I would hope that he has been addressing them for a while now. It's too bad he was what he was earlier on. Whatever that was. A reprobate or a person with bad decision making skills or somewhere in between or both.

Firstly, JV had his moments but was way too inconsistent in his play - remember a game he had several years ago dominant with something like 8 shots - then he would disappear for VERY long stretches and barely do anything. Then last year during the playoff bubble, he did not seize the opportunity.  Now we have these criminal allegations off the ice that compound his problems.  We will have to see how the charges finalized play out,

Its too bad - certainly had the tools with size shot speed but poor work ethic on his part.  Its easy in hindsight to say we should have picked this guy or that but during that draft, he was on most scouts top 10 lists so I don't think Canucks really swung for the fences with his pick. For whatever reason it did on click here but at least both parties can move forward now.

With respect to the other changes this week, just hope the Canucks can actually play some defense and help out poor Demko so he does not need to Carey Price West each night. Interesting and busy few weeks ahead. 

I also decided to register with Seattle Kraken to see how they are also doing things since they are so very close to here now.

Certainly were able to land some decent players, especially on defense.

I have a feeling Virtanen will figure it out like Kassian did-assuming the allegations arnt substantiated/don't lead to any more unacceptable conduct.  He will put his head down and become a decent player for another team. It's too bad though he wasn't able to do it in VAN.  I could actually see a growth in maturity over the past year and a bit however too late.

I'm hoping he turns his life around, but hockey-wise, this team is going to be so much better without him. Guaranteed his attitude was a thorn in the team's side, with how immature and unprofessional he has been.

• Cheers 1

Hockey IQ and mentality cannot be taught. That’s the thing about Jake. He doesn’t the “brain” to play in the NHL. Physical dominance and skills alone do not translate to being a good player. It’s a shame though, he could’ve been a useful 4th or 3rd line guy. 

1 hour ago, Big Red Monster said:

Yeah, about that bro...

Pretty sure Garland is a legitimate top six guy. Dickinson ain't no slouch either.

Hope so!! I can't seem to find enough YouTube evidence that he's a solid 3C...  But if he was good enough for Dallas on third line, I'm sure he'll do a decent job for us! 

• Wat 1

34 minutes ago, Northerneagle said:

A 6'1" 220 lb. just turning 25 6th overall pick is just let go?  Couldn't Benning have gotten at least a used puck bag in a trade?

Apparently not. 

Literally not worth a used bag of pucks. 

He wasn’t that great with fresh ones either. 

• Cheers 1