The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Canucks terminate Virtanen’s contract

3 hours ago, PositionOfPower said:

I think Canucks should have been more tougher on him even before these allegations. Shows up overweight for training camp multiple times Canucks were easy on him. Underproduction and lazy play Canucks did not send him to the AHL or scratch him enough. Signed him instead of using some of that money on Toffoli.

That last one is what got me. I appreciate the tools Jake has and the Canucks waiting for him to realize his potential and not wanting to admit defeat on the pick, but when it was time to sign the contract the better choice was clear to most of us not named Jim.

33 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

550k is nothing and is by far the smallest detail about this. Don't be that weirdo team that tries to nickle and dime a buyout as small as Jake's. It's literally 50k this season and 500k next season. It'll have next to no effect on this team's cap.

LOL so true... My bad

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Jake will probably retire off of his career earnings

Does he strike you as a guy that saved and invested his money wisely?

I feel awful for these poor women. Disgusting. He deserves all the hell coming for him.

'Allegedly' 

• Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, kloubek said:

That last one is what got me. I appreciate the tools Jake has and the Canucks waiting for him to realize his potential and not wanting to admit defeat on the pick, but when it was time to sign the contract the better choice was clear to most of us not named Jim.

Toffoli signed in Montreal 10 days before Jake was signed. 

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, bad alice french said:

Wow, the personal and malicious shots being taken at this guy online are straight up ruthless.

For anyone who has crossed the line can we please stick to hockey around here?

I'd like to see a single one of you big mouths say anything close to what you're cowardly typing to Jake's face. 

I’d say it to him without any hesitation. 

His actions have consequences. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Virtanen had to be qualified - the deadline was 2 days before free agency even opened up.  Once Virtanen was qualified they committed cap space to him and they didn't have enough for both.  He was arbitration eligible (and ended up filing) and teams can't walk away from the award if it ends up being less than 4M. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, guntrix said:

The wait and see approach applied for 1. But 8? 

Now I see why JB didn’t bother waiting. Good riddance. 

I agree, I was under the camp that thought we should wait for due process but this isn't looking good. When there are this many victims, it's highly probable. 

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Does he strike you as a guy that saved and invested his money wisely?

I feel awful for these poor women. Disgusting. He deserves all the hell coming for him.

'Allegedly' 

No but he strikes me as lazy and probably cant wait to escape the public eye and scrutiny. Depends how lucrative he gets an offer for, maybe he’d take $1m a season i guess thinking about it

3 hours ago, PositionOfPower said:

I think Canucks should have been more tougher on him even before these allegations. Shows up overweight for training camp multiple times Canucks were easy on him. Underproduction and lazy play Canucks did not send him to the AHL or scratch him enough. Signed him instead of using some of that money on Toffoli. Prolly Jake thought he could get away with anything like a spoiled kid. No wonder Green did not play him much knew what kind of kid he was.

Benning re-signed Virtanen a week after Toffoli signed in Montreal.

23 hours ago, Dazzle said:

That's not necessarily proof of anything. He was going to get bought out regardless. He is already a PR disaster, regardless if he did it or not.

Also, if that's how quick you determined guilt, welp, no point in a civil suit or criminal case. Just throw him in jail. /sar

image.gif.8ee99ad1f703e065d2fb7336c7ef6c2e.gif

16 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

It’s the Instagram page that originally posted the Jake Virtanen allegations 

is there any name or association attached to it?

I am not trying to defend Jake, but an unnamed insta account is pretty sketchy 

It could be King Heffy for all we know

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Unless someone has a report I didn't see. I didn't see many teams tripping over themselves to try and pry both Jake and Gaudette for any kind of reasonable return either during the draft, or shortly after. 

What bothers me is everyone just blames Benning. What were the assistant GM's doing at the time? Shouldn't the assistants being laying the ground work 

for Benning to conclude, and approve the deal? Did the Canucks only want a 2 year deal, and they learned he wanted 3-4? 

I said that Vancouver would be able only to retain one of Markstrom, Toffoli, and Tanev. 

Markstrom to me was the least likely to stay. And Toffoli seemed to be the logical one to retain. 

Something went sideways that's for sure. Hopefully in future, things like that won't happen again. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, lmm said:

is there any name or association attached to it?

I am not trying to defend Jake, but an unnamed insta account is pretty sketchy 

It could be King Heffy for all we know

The Instagram page is the association reporting it. Anonymous victims (in BC) message the group about their past / current experiences of abuse and the admins share it on their page with their consent. Many posts on there have led to investigations by the police, and a few establishments on the island had to shut down as they had persons in managerial positions commit such acts.

Again, this Instagram group was where the original Jake Virtanen allegations began.

Edited by 250Integra
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mll said:

Virtanen had to be qualified - the deadline was 2 days before free agency even opened up.  Once Virtanen was qualified they committed cap space to him and they didn't have enough for both.  He was arbitration eligible (and ended up filing) and teams can't walk away from the award if it ends up being less than 4M. 

Thanks for clearing that out. Of course he didn't "have" to be qualified, but most would agree that - at the time - not doing so and losing him for nothing would have been hard to justify.

Just sad for everyone how things turned out.

• Cheers 2

On 7/26/2021 at 10:03 AM, Dazzle said:

Hindsight is truly 20/20. Would you have given up Virtanen for a 4th or 5th round pick earlier in his career?

Obviously the Canucks hoped he'd improve in time. He would show just enough to make ppl feel sated for a day. Then he'd go party again.

This was no one's fault except Virtanen. Blaming Benning or anyone else is just wrong.

Mitch Marner, for instance, was a hometown boy for Toronto. He turned out just fine. It's not right to use the hometown excuse.

I have refuted the hometown excuse (with the Stecher example). Stecher was also a college kid, which is an experoence & process that does its own form of vetting. Troy made all of the necessary sacrifices to succeed, & uses these skills today to continue progressing & building up his reputation as a solid professional hockey player.

Jake entered the league young, but compared to other 1st round picks like Draisatl or Horvat, Virtanen could not possibly have interviewed well. We can hear & see the maturity of other 1st round picks, but off the hop Jake’s maturity & commitment was in question You should not be taking flyers with your 1st round draft picks, and ‘maturity’ needs to rank a lot higher than it once did.

Properly vett these kids, They will be representing a brand world-wide & get full access to many community organizations & events as role models & peer leaders. It is horrific when the person making these selections at the helm, gets it so wrong.

On the plus side, Boeser, Pettersen & Hughes appear to be solids who proved themselves as such, before joining the team. I hazard to guess that Virtanen has also been a frustration to his ‘mates at times.  (Bo calling him out for recklessness & inattentiveness in practice, being just one example). I look forward to witnessing some improvements in team-chemistry with more like-minded individuals coming onboard. .

Cheers & Go Canucks Go!! 

Edited by viking mama
  • Cheers 2