The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Canucks terminate Virtanen’s contract

1 hour ago, lmm said:

is there any name or association attached to it?

I am not trying to defend Jake, but an unnamed insta account is pretty sketchy 

It could be King Heffy for all we know

The association is Survivor Stories Project. I found their website but they have no search function and I wasn’t able to find the JV update there so I can’t verify it. I was only able to see the update by searching Survivor Stories Project Reddit. Apparently it was posted on Instagram first.  I don’t guess there is any way to verify it at this point without seeing it on the actual website but even then the organization is only able to say that these women have come forward. We don’t know if they have done this anonymously or if they passed their stories on to the investigators.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, mll said:

Virtanen had to be qualified - the deadline was 2 days before free agency even opened up.  Once Virtanen was qualified they committed cap space to him and they didn't have enough for both.  He was arbitration eligible (and ended up filing) and teams can't walk away from the award if it ends up being less than 4M. 

This was it… there were reports they were trying to trade him before they had to qualify him with no takers.  Presumably largely because of the risk of what his salary could be.

It was just a bad decision to qualify him in such a tight market where cap space was at a premium.  They walked away from Stecher who had proven a lot more on and off the ice.

What they committed to Virtanen and had to set aside for a possible arb award handcuffed them in free agency and re-signing other players.  The cap money would have gotten a lot more of a player on the open market even if it wasn’t Toffoli specifically.  Certainly if they knew they had that Virtanen space they could have signed a slightly cheaper 1B veteran backup and fit Toffoli in.

It isn’t hindsight, I was banging the drum on trading him when he was having that statistical

blip of a hot streak for a couple months.  

This one was a really bad look on Benning from my perspective.  Everything the organization was saying about wanting relentless players who worked hard, loved playing hockey, and needed to earn their ice time… it all had a Virtanen exception where he was exempt.  He screwed up the pick and compounded it by not admitting the mistake and moving on.  After years of floundering development and always being a (bar) topic of conversation at training camps he shoild have been moved on.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Toffoli signed in Montreal 10 days before Jake was signed. 

...because we had no cap to sign him? Exactly. We should have found a way, and even if we let Jake just walk afterwards to do it, it would have been the better choice.

Edited by kloubek

5 hours ago, Provost said:

This was it… there were reports they were trying to trade him before they had to qualify him with no takers.  Presumably largely because of the risk of what his salary could be.

It was just a bad decision to qualify him in such a tight market where cap space was at a premium.  They walked away from Stecher who had proven a lot more on and off the ice.

What they committed to Virtanen and had to set aside for a possible arb award handcuffed them in free agency and re-signing other players.  The cap money would have gotten a lot more of a player on the open market even if it wasn’t Toffoli specifically.  Certainly if they knew they had that Virtanen space they could have signed a slightly cheaper 1B veteran backup and fit Toffoli in.

It isn’t hindsight, I was banging the drum on trading him when he was having that statistical

blip of a hot streak for a couple months.  

This one was a really bad look on Benning from my perspective.  Everything the organization was saying about wanting relentless players who worked hard, loved playing hockey, and needed to earn their ice time… it all had a Virtanen exception where he was exempt.  He screwed up the pick and compounded it by not admitting the mistake and moving on.  After years of floundering development and always being a (bar) topic of conversation at training camps he shoild have been moved on.

First of all what a sad sad story about wasted youth and talent... If these allegations are true, I don't know, how he will ever be able to recover from this, and to be frank don't care neither... Just a piss poor bully... A-hole...

Anyway, while true Benning could have traded Virtanen earlier, I think lots of us were hoping that he'd turn it around up to last year. At that point he did show flashes and scored at a decent rate. And he also looked fairly invested a times during that season.

Now Benning couldn't find any takers...

Had he let Virtanen go for free, the same folks here saying, he should have let him walk, would have crucified Benning for getting nowt for JV, as lots of other examples shows....

But agree and with hindsight he should not have qulified JV and kept Toffoli..... just like I should have picked 7, 13, 48 instead of 5, 16 and 37.... 

Some folks (apparently yourself incl.) wanted Benning to cut his losses a few years ago, and that turned out to be right, hats off... A few of these same folks also thought Benning were a fool for the Miller trade, and getting Motte for Vanek... my point being sometimes we're lucky and sometimes we're not... 

I'm just glad Nucks showed some leadership, and shipped him out.... They tried to help Kassian, but this is a different ball game... have zero sympathy for him if true...ZERO

Edited by spook007
Spelling...as usual..
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

Would be ironic if he plays in Russia with Leipsec. #worstcrewever

Turns out with the allegations they probably were.  

I was one of Virtanens biggest fans, but that was the beginning of the end for me. While Leipsec clearly had his own set of character issues, he called Jake out in his. In my past experiences, people like that usually tend to have more issues with people cut from the same cloth. 

The kicker was seeing Jake with a printed hat at a club saying "Worst Crew Ever". That means Jake heard that, then spent precious time and recourses going somewhere to have the hat printed so he could proudly display it. That's just not something I reckon a person with high moral integrity would do. It really sat wrong with me.

Hearing all the alligations come out was absolutely disgusting though. These are not the type of things I thought would surface about Jake, they are infinitely worse. Looking back a few months ago with some of the arguments I had with peticular posters here makes me really sad. One active poster in peticular was defending Jake tooth and nail, and saying things like he hopes his daughter would marry a guy like Jake. It was shameful then, and tenfold now.

Just now, Devron44 said:

He won’t have options in the NHL until his “situation” is figured out. Would blow my mind otherwise 

Have to say if any organisation take a player on with these thought of allegation hanging around them, they are lower than dirt.... 

Unfortunately some clubs/franchises have very low moral compasses...

Sports stars can almost get away with anything ordinary people can't.

In UK a footballer 'goal scorer' Lee Hughes, cause death by dangerous drink driving, and cowardly ran away and hit for 34hours before being arrested. 

He got 6 years in prison, spent about 3 of them behind bars, where after he was released, He was soon after signed by Oldham, and then Notts County, where he after scoring 30 goals in a season was name part of the PFA team of the year...

Some star... A coward, who run away from the scene of a crash...

What message does that send to young people or any people for that matter. Imagine the family of the man killed...

So yeah guess nothing surprises me, when it comes to rotten behaviour by sports stars...

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, kloubek said:

...because we had no cap to sign him? Exactly. We should have found a way, and even if we let Jake just walk afterwards to do it, it would have been the better choice.

We got Garland now, it worked out in the end imo 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shayster007 said:

I was one of Virtanens biggest fans, but that was the beginning of the end for me. While Leipsec clearly had his own set of character issues, he called Jake out in his. In my past experiences, people like that usually tend to have more issues with people cut from the same cloth. 

The kicker was seeing Jake with a printed hat at a club saying "Worst Crew Ever". That means Jake heard that, then spent precious time and recourses going somewhere to have the hat printed so he could proudly display it. That's just not something I reckon a person with high moral integrity would do. It really sat wrong with me.

Hearing all the alligations come out was absolutely disgusting though. These are not the type of things I thought would surface about Jake, they are infinitely worse. Looking back a few months ago with some of the arguments I had with peticular posters here makes me really sad. One active poster in peticular was defending Jake tooth and nail, and saying things like he hopes his daughter would marry a guy like Jake. It was shameful then, and tenfold now.

Sorry, sincere question.

I’ve missed this about Leipsic and having chatacter issues. Same about him calling out Jake. Could someone give a quick recap of that?