The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Canucks terminate Virtanen’s contract

40 minutes ago, gurn said:

With out criminal charges I know of no legal way to force him to stay.

The criminal charges aren't gonna happen, in all likelihood. There's a reason why she's going civil.

Edited by Dazzle

On 7/26/2021 at 11:19 PM, 250Integra said:

840527B1-C363-4843-955B-67216CA0B47A.png

Bump. It’s the original source that broke the first story. 

And for the record, 1+7=8. Eight women have now come forward re/ Jake Virtanen. 

Edited by guntrix
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

If there are multiple accusers, not sure how relevant this is.  But I believe in a fair process and this information is part of that?  Even if the source is in his corner.

More than one accuser now!  This just gets worse.  

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Violator said:

What's a sealing order?

With how it pertains to this case?

depends: https://www.ppsc-sppc.gc.ca/eng/pub/fpsd-sfpg/fps-sfp/tpd/p3/ch04.html

I would guess in this case the judge is trying to protect both Jake and his accuser from info being leaked. Both sides will have things to say that could be publicly damaging to both of them.

So it looks like the accuser's side has decided to leak info which is too bad. If she's actually been abused this might hurt her case. 

• Cheers 2

Perhaps the most damning evidence against Jake is that VforVirtanen has changed his name, and thereby shut down the church.

So sad how all this has worked out, especially if he did anything close to what he has been accused of.  Waste of a career, hope the partying was worth it.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

22 minutes ago, Violator said:

What's a sealing order?

With how it pertains to this case?

As best as I understand it: The public generally has a right to view court proceedings which includes viewing and making copies of court documents. A sealing order prevents this. A publication ban means simply that information cannot be made public and as far as I can tell there is no publication ban in place. The logical question is how did these journalists come to view or have access to information that was covered by the sealing order?  Gemma Karstens-Smith says in her statement that she accessed the court documents, so how did she come to view them?

The implication is that she accessed it through the victim. Her statement about no publication ban seems like a bit of a red herring.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, 4petesake said:

As best as I understand it: The public generally has a right to view court proceedings which includes viewing and making copies of court documents. A sealing order prevents this. A publication ban means simply that information cannot be made public and as far as I can tell there is no publication ban in place. The logical question is how did these journalists come to view or have access to information that was covered by the sealing order?  Gemma Karstens-Smith says in her statement that she accessed the court documents, so how did she come to view them?

The implication is that she accessed it through the victim. Her statement about no publication ban seems like a bit of a red herring.

This is how i see it too. If the documents are sealed, the reporter should not have been able to see them to report on them in the first place. 

There doesnt need to be apublication ban in place if the information reported on was under seal. It will be up to Virtanen's lawyer to make that argument and to outline what info was published that should not have been. If there is any, this reporter could be in trouble.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

The deeper this goes and the more drama created as it goes along, the more I'm comfortable with the buyout. We don't need this around the team.

Still saddened by the whole downfall of Jake with Vancouver. What could (and should) have been...

• Cheers 4

15 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This is how i see it too. If the documents are sealed, the reporter should not have been able to see them to report on them in the first place. 

There doesnt need to be apublication ban in place if the information reported on was under seal. It will be up to Virtanen's lawyer to make that argument and to outline what info was published that should not have been. If there is any, this reporter could be in trouble.

That isn’t true at all.  How could the reporter be in trouble when there isn’t a publication ban.  They are allowed to report on any thing they want unless ordered by the courts not to.

The agent is looking after Jake’s interests so is has no legal obligation to be fair or even truthful.  It is pretty clear by the statement put out that they are at the very least being disingenuous by bending the truth by omitting a bunch of facts that put him in a bad light.  There is other precise language that also gives hints.  When they put in “to my understanding” that is simply a way to say something that isn’t necessarily true but to also not be able to be called out on outright lying.  He is also making all sorts of unfounded public accusations against the complainant and reporter not founded in law while at the same time complaining about elements of the investigation into his client becoming public.  He also details elements of the case himself while accusing the other side of being inappropriate by doing the same.  It is nothing more than a PR document and a shot across the bow warning to the other potential accusers that they will be attacked publicly as money grubbing liars.

Also, in these sorts of cases, unless it is a mandatory ban (as some elements of sexual assault cases always are) it is generally the accused’s counsel that asks for documents to be sealed so the public doesn’t see them and the judge doesn’t do that on their own.  Sometime it is the complainant who requests it… but in sexual assault cases most of the time they are mostly protected by mandatory orders.  Often it is only specific documents that are sealed and not everything related to the case.

There are also a myriad of ways the source information can be given out that doesn’t break a sealing order.  The sealing order only restricts public access to the actual court documents themselves and is no limit on anyone who has information sharing that publicly.  Like if an accuser makes a statement that ends up in a sealed court record, that doesn’t mean they can’t talk about it elsewhere.

Virtanen’s camp wouldn’t want the details to become public and only the outcome.  Same as they would demand a gag order as part of any out of court settlement they might come to.

Edited by Provost
  • Vintage 1