The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Canucks terminate Virtanen’s contract

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

That isn’t true at all.  How could the reporter be in trouble when there isn’t a publication ban.  They are allowed to report on any thing they want unless ordered by the courts not to.

The agent is looking after Jake’s interests so is has no legal obligation to be fair or even truthful.

nothing will happen to the reporter. 

Jake needs to go play in the KHL while this is going on. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

nothing will happen to the reporter. 

Jake needs to go play in the KHL while this is going on. 

So true for many reasons, but could you imagine the shape Jake would be in if he took a year off from hockey? 

1 hour ago, rekker said:

So true for many reasons, but could you imagine the shape Jake would be in if he took a year off from hockey? 

I dunno 

I think Jake might see this as a wakeup call and train his butt off? 

Too bad it didn't happen in Vancouver (except that one summer after the dough boy picture the previous summer) 

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I dunno 

Too bad it didn't happen in Vancouver (except that one summer after the dough boy picture the previous summer) 

Maybe, if this doesn't wake him up, nothing will.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, rekker said:

He wouldn't be around team supplied buffets, and hockey would no longer be in the way of cocaine so I suspect he would be looking pretty good :lol:

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I dunno 

If allegations are true, I could care less how much of a wakeup call it is for him , he had a privilege he wasted

It is also a wake up call for the team and women. 

Michael Vick when caught disgusted me and I could care less if he was sorry, only when caught (I wouldn't want him on my team either)

He was able to make millions off of it, but time to move on

Way too much drama and distraction for an average player all this time

4 hours ago, rekker said:

he'd be done, I would imagine. Go play in Russia, stay in shape. If he's found innocent or there's not enough evidence for anything then someone will pick him up in a year. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

If allegations are true, I could care less how much of a wakeup call it is for him , he had a privilege he wasted

It is also a wake up call for the team and women. 

Michael Vick when caught disgusted me and I could care less if he was sorry, only when caught (I wouldn't want him on my team either)

He was able to make millions off of it, but time to move on

Way too much drama and distraction for an average player all this time

I agree with you. 

Doesn't matter if you are amazing at sports if you are a terrible human being

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Just noticing again, that no one has signed him.

I said it before and saying it again, I think the KHL is likely his only hope for next season. Not sure that Montreal would even touch him right now, and that's really saying something!

Montreal learned their lesson, I think. They didn't relinquish their first round pick though...

18 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Just noticing again, that no one has signed him.

I said it before and saying it again, I think the KHL is likely his only hope for next season. Not sure that Montreal would even touch him right now, and that's really saying something!

Can someone with a pending criminal hearing even leave the country? I keep seeing KHL brought up as an option, but I always assumed if you’ve been charged with a criminal act, you’re not allowed to leave the country. I’m no lawyer though, maybe someone in the know can shine some light on this?

26 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

Can someone with a pending criminal hearing even leave the country? I keep seeing KHL brought up as an option, but I always assumed if you’ve been charged with a criminal act, you’re not allowed to leave the country. I’m no lawyer though, maybe someone in the know can shine some light on this?

He has not been charged, as far as I'm aware, there's nothing specifically pending. There's an ongoing investigation, but I don't think there's anything that would prevent him from traveling.

Although, yes, police are investigating, I think people are making a lot of assumptions into what's going on.

That said, his best path may very well be, AHL or ECHL for the moment.

Edited by VegasCanuck

7 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

He has not been charged, as far as I'm aware, there's nothing specifically pending. There's an ongoing investigation, but I don't think there's anything that would prevent him from traveling.

Although, yes, police are investigating, I think people are making a lot of assumptions into what's going on.

Eight accusers now though.  That makes for a complicated police investigation, because if (when) charges are made the crown wants to include them all.  Eight women.  That’s a definite pattern of behaviour.  No team will touch Jake.  And he’s definitely not allowed to leave this jurisdiction.  

8 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

There would not be anything (on Canada's end) that prevents him from going while he has not been charged. Though, he would still have to return to Vancouver to make his court appearances in the civil case. A lot of countries would not give him a work visa right now though, but that's probably not an issue in Russia. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Eight accusers now though.  That makes for a complicated police investigation, because if (when) charges are made the crown wants to include them all.  Eight women.  That’s a definite pattern of behaviour.  No team will touch Jake.  And he’s definitely not allowed to leave this jurisdiction.  

Wow, I had not heard about the additional accusers. That could easily put him in a position where they ask for his passport until this is resolved.

8 Accusers, really? Would make me look dumb to somewhat defending the case before. 

I was just reading up more about the case though... The girl did not report the crime to the police so this is not a criminal case, it is a civil suit filed in.... Kelowna, blows up the whole thing/leak to the media through that Twitter account. Pretty meticulous planning for someone who is the victim. 

1 minute ago, Drakrami said:

8 Accusers, really? Would make me look dumb to somewhat defending the case before. 

I was just reading up more about the case though... The girl did not report the crime to the police so this is not a criminal case, it is a civil suit filed in.... Kelowna, blows up the whole thing/leak to the media through that Twitter account. Pretty meticulous planning for someone who is the victim. 

Seven more women have come forward now.  Sure looks like a pattern of sexual assault with Jake.  With this many accusers it’s very likely there will be criminal charges.  Police have a lot to investigate.  

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

I don't think so. 

I was so done with Jake before this even happened. His off ice conduct and on ice lack of effort was... uncomfortable to see. Teammates have said little but I can imagine they may be a bit relieved as well.

But with most any other player, I think you'd be right to support him as a fan of the team. People make accusations all the time and it really is innocent until proven guilty. But when theres a handful of women coming forward, its either a spectacular conspiracy, or there is validity to the claim.

Was the conduct of the original complainant abnormal? Maybe. But women keeping quiet is a lot more common than women who make up false stories. I have no idea what the stat is (or how they even figure it) but the vast majority of sexual assaults aren't reported.