The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Canucks terminate Virtanen’s contract

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Apparently SKA St Petersburg has offered Jake a contract.

Reportedly worth 816k a season.

You gotta think at this point with no NHL offers, Jake is reflecting on himself going "Damn... I done goofed."  He's still young enough to get this together and make a career of it in the NHL, but he's gonna have to prove himself again outside of the league I bet.  Perhaps a Zack Kassian-like future ahead of him.

When JV said this in that article

"They wanted me to come down, play lots of minutes, practice lots, it’s definitely a different league: faster down here, I feel," Virtanen said. "Guys are working 100 per cent every shift so you’ve got to be able to keep up with that and bring that back to Vancouver.

With 19 points in 65 AHL games, he wasn't willing to put in the 100% that others were and should have stayed down there Until he was willing too. Look at the message he ended up taking from that promotion

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, rekker said:

Ouch.

Ouchie ouchie and that example alone is enough of how no one wanted to listen to Linden and ownership was against his input too.. and why he left. Shame. (And I loved the Virtanen pick at the time and have been supporting him non-stop until the allegations and other stories came out).

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

Linden also never won anything, but I digress.

Linden was a skilled enough and smart enough player and dedicated enough leader and person to know what he was talking about. And looking at what Larkin became vs what Virtanen became also proves that. We could be rolling this down the middle right now… (yes I still think with the state of the team that even if we’d drafted Larkin that we’d still draft Pettersson 5th overall in 2017. 

Pettersson

Horvat

Larkin 

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, ZH96 said:

Linden was a skilled enough and smart enough player and dedicated enough leader and person to know what he was talking about. And looking at what Larkin became vs what Virtanen became also proves that. We could be rolling this down the middle right now… (yes I still think with the state of the team that even if we’d drafted Larkin that we’d still draft Pettersson 5th overall in 2017. 

Pettersson

Horvat

Larkin 

I’m just not a Linden fan. He’s seems whiny to me and with a huge ego that doesn’t fit in the door. 

And the Benning Canucks don’t like egos that don’t fit in the door.

And they’re pretty bud doors too.

Edited by Me_