The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Canucks terminate Virtanen’s contract

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

...with us. 

I'm inclined to think if perception isn't TOO tainted (nothing has been proven yet) that another team will take a flyer on him at 1m. He just has too many tools for them not to imo.

Will leaving Vancity help him mature? Likely not... but I think there's still a slim chance he becomes at least a reasonably productive player elsewhere.

Kassian was able to come back and put it together.  Even got a new multi-million contract from Edmonton.  It's possible in the right environment Jake can do the same thing.  

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, warrchief said:

Now, I think we can get another 2-3m in cap space if we can find a decent trade partner for Holtby. I am sure someone would take him for that much. Carolina looks like a great trade partner for the deal.

No.

They are trying to sign Bernier (acquired from the Red Wings) and Mrazek.

Don't need him.

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Even more to the point, I don't really think that Rooster and Beagle were "mistakes". Both did yeoman service while they were here.

As far as Jake goes, at the time of the draft, we needed the kind of player he projected to be more than we did Ehlers. If a mistake was made there, perhaps it was in the pre-draft interview stage? Surely there must have been some warning signs.....

Yes.... I recall there were some questions with his relationships with his teammates but Benning chalked that up as being just young and immature.  Also, Benning hadn't come around or open to picking smaller players (in early rounds).  Jake was a big swing and miss but all the drafts since have shown he learned from that.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, rekker said:

And DeAngelo as well. Bring in Dino Cicerreli to coach while they are at it.

The crappy thing about that Ciccarelli incident…Geoff Courtnall was part of it.

Not saying he’s guilty, but given Ciccarelli’s previous issues prior to the incident something tells me there’s some truth to the claim.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1990/05/15/4-capitals-accused-of-rape/97bc50b8-0bf0-493c-b7d1-d8a08591ef6f/

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, warrchief said:

Now, I think we can get another 2-3m in cap space if we can find a decent trade partner for Holtby. I am sure someone would take him for that much. Carolina looks like a great trade partner for the deal.

In a perfect world, Schmidt is traded for a second or third; Holtby is traded for a third or fourth.  Coupled with Jake's buyout, it gives the Canucks an additional $12.7M in cap space. That would be a huge win for the Canucks.  I think Boston would be a good trade partner for either or both.

So happy that Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, Virtanen are out.  $14.5M out the door.  Just need another $10M+ (Schmidt and Holtby) to be gone. 

Get Dickison signed for $2.5M to $3.0M; Garland for $3.5M to $4.0M; Pettersson for $7.0M; Hughes for $6.0M to $7.0M; Hamonic for $3.0M and the Canucks are well on their way to be positioned as a playoff team.

Glad that number 18 is being stripped off the back of Jake...hopefully Dickison wears number 18 with more pride and dedication to the craft of hockey and helps all of us forget the bad memories of the past several years.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Squamfan said:

Jim the great scout the drafting guru took instead of Pasta and Ehlers. I thought a a good scout would have picked the better player. complete bust

He took a gamble on upside working with a new scouting staff. It's meh 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Butters Stoch said:

Peace out Jake the mistake. You're an absolute disgrace to this team and the entire game. I only wish that there was some way to keep him from getting the remainder of his contract paid.

If he got taken to a criminal court then yeah, that's a termination rather than a buyout. Voynov spent a few months in jail for his crime (another Montreal target me thinks)

45 minutes ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

A lot of people ripped Ray Ferraro for comparing Virtanen’s potential to a Jannik Hansen a few years back. Virtanen never even got close to Hansen’s level. 

Well, to be fair, Hansen was a 9th round pick....

regards,  G.

• Haha 1