The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Canucks terminate Virtanen’s contract

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I defended him all the way up until sexual misconduct. I hope it's not true, but the allegations alone are enough for me to say we need to cut ties. Take care Jake. Unless you're a pervert, in which case. Grow up Jake. Either way. This is a positive step forward for us, and can be for him if he learns from all this stuff. Even Kassian started to learn, and he looks like he's from a different era in human history.

Overall I agree with this statement. I too defended him when he showed up to camp out of shape...he is young. When he was seen out partying with his #worst crew ever crap...he is young and will put it together. To me the allegations only prove that he was just as young and dumb as we all thought. The decision to buy him out (hopefully) is a hockey decision. He will still get paid, he can still go look for another contract. He never performed to the level expected. Without this distraction he has no business on the team next season. I don’t really care about Jake the hockey player.  If he is guilty then f#%* him, if he is completely innocent then good luck in the future on your next team, but I still doubt he will be in shape. This kid had every advantage to succeed and the Canucks gave him more than enough opportunities. Bye!

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I hear all you are saying and understand the difference between civil and criminal. 

However, he has denied any wrong doing. He has stated it was consensual. If that is true, which seems like we will never find out, then your bolded statement is sad for a young man. He may have brought it on himself, he may actually be innocent. 

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. Honestly, the girl and Virtanen seem to have their own issues to sort out. There's obviously more to the story than what the girl purports it to be, but Virtanen has a lot of question marks as well.

It may or may not mean anything that Virtanen denied wrongdoing. One good thing, if there was something like that, is that he's not mouthing off to the media about his innocence, which takes away the leverage the girl could have (He likely has a lawyer that forbids him from saying anything too). Basically any more discussion of the case pushing the narrative toward Jake will only hurt the girl's case, so we will never hear the exact details of 'what happened' from this point forward.

It's a he/she said story. And yes, it is terrible for Virtanen if this story was in fact a fabrication on the girl's part. We don't really know though. That's what's so difficult about this case.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

WTF?! What kind of creep lists Luc Bourdon (RIP)  who died in an accident before he could realize his potential with players who didn't work out? Give your head a shake man. 

To be fair, he said "Bad luck", not bad pick....but yes, probably should have omitted Luc to make that point.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think were good now....

....seems like all we draft now are Swedes, Russians and Yanks....B)

I heard that we wouldn't have even drafted Virtanen if Benning had his way. Just ownership wanted a hometown boy. Not confirmed but rumours.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

Overall, I like that Jim seems to be cleaning up a lot of stuff. Value-less contracts gone, Problem-Jake out, moving on from Edler. This camp should have a feel of newness to it with the core intact but plenty of new bodies coming in, too. Jim has gotten in touch with his ruthless side. It was necessary. 

First loss is your best loss. 

They dangled him and no-one bit. I don't think he's eligible for the second buyout window and we would have had to have a guy going to arbitration. Today was the last day to waive for buyout I believe.  That was wrong, it's tomorrow.

Taking him with his cap hit wasn't worth it to anyone when they can get him for cheap; if anyone takes a chance on him. If they do, I hope it's in an armpit city. He had it too easy here.

I don't think he's done in the NHL but it's time to grow up. The final wake up call.

Edited by RWMc1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, smokes said:

I heard that we wouldn't have even drafted Virtanen if Benning had his way. Just ownership wanted a hometown boy. Not confirmed but rumours.

I doubt that Jim was looking at Pasta or Tuch, so I'm guessing he wanted Ehlers? Ritchie?

The right decision by the franchise -  regardless of / in spite of what the 'asset cost' might be.

And that's not to prejudge him - where Bergevin et al have done the wrong thing for the wrong reasons - the Canucks have not imo - regardless of the 'outcome' of the allegations against Virtanen, they've done the right thing.

He is a good example of a case where the draft age is (far) too young.

Virtanen's emotional intelligence wasn't ready for the next step to becoming a professional.   His physical frame, his hockey 'intelligence' was adequate (imo - I'm not going to debate this with people that believe otherwise) - but like many (of us as) young men, growing a/the brain, particularly in the social adjustment/maturity sense, doesn't necessarily coincide.

In a way I think he was nevertheless quite fortunate, in spite of stupid actions/behaviour - being so young-minded with a tendency to lean in the wrong direction, to have landed with Travis Green, who seemed to have a positive effect on Virtanen in a wider sense than simply his hockey career, even if that needed to run deeper.   Virtanen has a chance to 'grow up' - to hopefully make amends - to potentially recover to the extent possible from hurting/injuring someone else, and by extension, himself in the process.  I hope he makes the most of his future, and starts by authentically redressing what he's done.

Edited by oldnews
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just realized there wasn't an official "Thank You Jake! " tweet unlike most other players who got bought out.... Shame after 6 years of service!! Lesson learned for other young players... If you don't behave like a real man... Crap will bite u in the ass eventually! Just ask Mr. Cosby! 

21 minutes ago, smokes said:

And because we had drafted Jake, we said no thanks to Matt Tkachuk and opted for Juolevi instead... And the rest is history!! What a sad turn of events.... 

Nonetheless I still have faith in Juolevi... He just gotta work on his slapshots from the point and prove that he can bring his junior dominance to NHL! 

I remember he made a solid solid hit.   It was clean in my opinion, however, it injured said player. He was suspended for a few games.  Since then, he was a shell of his former self.   He was scared to hit, scared to finish his checks.   

• Thanks 1
  • RoughGame 1