The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Canucks terminate Virtanen’s contract

14 hours ago, kloubek said:

...with us. 

I'm inclined to think if perception isn't TOO tainted (nothing has been proven yet) that another team will take a flyer on him at 1m. He just has too many tools for them not to imo.

Will leaving Vancity help him mature? Likely not... but I think there's still a slim chance he becomes at least a reasonably productive player elsewhere.

I have my money on Pittsburg 

near league minimum

2 way deal

becomes a servicable but unspectaculatr 3 rd line wing

40% of his future goals will coem against the Canucks

• Haha 3
  • Wat 1

2 hours ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

Because Kassian did awesome there I think 

Kassian never played in Montreal.  He was involved in a car accident in October 2015, a few months after Vancouver traded him to Montreal, and was put in a rehab place then placed on waivers.  Montreal ended up trading him to Edmonton in December.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

18 hours ago, FireGillis said:

Jake is the classic example of the player who is just happy to be in the NHL, so he can party like a rock star.  So much potential wasted because he never had the work ethic or desire to improve his game.  Not sure if this will be his wake up call or not.

Bingo! 

^This dude was never properly-vetted.

Intelligence, focus, work ethic, character & maturity were all lacking. Add these deficiencies to the home-town posse’, which was a likely distraction, and this guy had even less of a chance to succeed here in VAN, over almost any other NHL city.

Someone, who went through similar growing pains with Tyler Seguin in Boston, should have learned something & shipped out Virtanen (with Jared McCann), years ago, while he still had marketable value.

@JB: Your failure to act sooner has cost this organization fair compensation for a 1st round draft pick & quite possibly that kid his career. If Jake had departed BC & not just for some brief stint in Utica, would he have been any humbler, less entitled, or would there even be troubling allegations like this to resurface now?

As far as this team’s hometown lads go, I was gob-smacked that Virtanen got re-signed, while his polar-opposite, the intelligent, tenacious, loyal & always progressing, Troy Stecher, was unceremoniously cast-off. NTM Tyler Tofolli - oye vey that hurts! 

Do not let history repeat itself, here, again. The helm is a place for persons who actually learn from their mistakes or the mistakes of others. The right answers don’t always appear upon stat sheets.The  right thing to do is what is in the best interests of people. 

Edited by viking mama
  • Cheers 1

On 7/25/2021 at 10:36 AM, smokes said:

I feel like drafting hometown kids don't work well. He had no chance to mature and be his own man. Sometimes having family and childhood friends around when you are a young millionaire gets you distracted from the goal.

Not properly vetted.

In the same draft year, Draisatl was incredibly mature & professional for his age, everyone could hear & see  it. It was the same way with Bo. With a 1st round draft pick, you just gotta be sure! Don’t take a flyer, just ‘cuz he’s a hometown boy.

Hometown boys can work out tho’, Stecher, for instance, went away to college at University of North Dakota, & became a proven winner & leader upon a Championship team. He had enough smarts &  maturity to juggle a jam-packed schedule of training, classes & studies, by learning to make hard sacrifices. His character & work ethic were clearly proven entities, BEFORE Benning signed him & I’d still be delighted to have him represent the organization, in almost any capacity that suited him. 

That’s the difference! More careful vetting of the highest draftees needs to be there, & maturity should be ranking high! Benning adjusted. Boeser, Pettersen, & Hughes all seem to be vetted far better, on the character, intelligence & maturity scale. 

The college-route generally prepares players for life & how to become better professionals, but 1st round picks, college-routed or not, should be more painstakingly proven than by puck handling ability, speed or a hard-shot. 

PS. Good luck to Marc Bergevin! 

Edited by viking mama

"Draft and develop" is tough when the draft pick is poor and the development is basically non existent. Green worked with JV in Utica, but the guy feels entitled, and Green knew he was stuck with this kid as JB`s pick. Internal politics. JV lacked the IQ on, and sadly, off the ice. Good luck kid! Hope you can figure it out.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, groovy said:

"Draft and develop" is tough when the draft pick is poor and the development is basically non existent. Green worked with JV in Utica, but the guy feels entitled, and Green knew he was stuck with this kid as JB`s pick. Internal politics. JV lacked the IQ on, and sadly, off the ice. Good luck kid! Hope you can figure it out.

Watch him end up in Deadmonton 

22 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

He had all the tools just  didn’t have the tool box. Given chance after chance. He was very slow to learn. Too bad, he had dominant games, he just couldn’t figure things out on and off the ice. Hopefully he grows and becomes a serviceable nhl player somewhere else.

Odd, I have this weird sense of déjà vue rirght now...

Had all the tools just  didn’t have the tool box. Given chance after chance. He was very slow to learn. Too bad, he had dominant games, he just couldn’t figure things out on and off the ice. Hopefully he grows and becomes a serviceable nhl player somewhere else.

He had all the tools just  didn’t have the tool box. Given chance after chance. He was very slow to learn. Too bad, he had dominant games, he just couldn’t figure things out on and off the ice. Hopefully he grows and becomes a serviceable nhl player somewhere else.

Odd, I have this weird sense of déjà vue rirght now...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

I seem to recall that was Tiger Williams assessment of then prospect D Michel Petit (he's all tools but no toolbox).    Petit was still able to put together a lengthy (even if pretty ordinary) NHL career.  Perhaps Jake, if he gets his head screwed on right, will be able to as well.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Tonight on "It's the Mind" we examine that strange case of Deja Vu. 

That extraordinary feeling you get that you've lived through something before....

That extraordinary feeling you get that you've lived through something before....

x1080.jpeg

• Haha 2

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

x1080.jpeg

I'm sure Ghost was a fan of the movie "Top Secret":

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, CJ44 said:

But... according to so many on here, Benning has barely made any mistakes during our 7 year rebuild ^_^ :o. All jokes aside, these changes were needed for a fresh start all across the board. I'm happy to see it happen.

OH everyone makes plenty of mistakes and JB has made his fair share by all accounts. Well documented. The thing of it is that in real life, everyone makes mistakes. Some are unreconcilable without firing an employee or leaving a marriage or breaking up with your closest friend: but most in the professional world are learning experiences that make a person more valuable. If businesses fired every manager who made a mistake we would be back in the stone age still. Success is the culmination of a great many mistakes. 

I am not on or off the JB bandwagon. He is smart about hockey, can run the Canucks and has done a decent job thus far in my eyes. No need to fire him right now: i will think on it again this time next year though. I think what we have seen right up to today has been a great recovery from cap hell, that is worth some praise. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, viking mama said:

Bingo! 

^This dude was never properly-vetted.

Intelligence, focus, work ethic, character & maturity were all lacking. Add these deficiencies to the home-town posse’, which was a likely distraction, and this guy had even less of a chance to succeed here in VAN, over almost any other NHL city.

Someone, who went through similar growing pains with Tyler Seguin in Boston, should have learned something & shipped out Virtanen (with Jared McCann), years ago, while he still had marketable value.

@JB: Your failure to act sooner has cost this organization fair compensation for a 1st round draft pick & quite possibly that kid his career. If Jake had departed BC & not just for some brief stint in Utica, would he have been any humbler, less entitled, or would there even be troubling allegations like this to resurface now?

As far as this team’s hometown lads go, I was gob-smacked that Virtanen got re-signed, while his polar-opposite, the intelligent, tenacious, loyal & always progressing, Troy Stecher, was unceremoniously cast-off. NTM Tyler Tofolli - oye vey that hurts! 

Do not let history repeat itself, here, again. The helm is a place for persons who actually learn from their mistakes or the mistakes of others. The right answers don’t always appear upon stat sheets.The  right thing to do is what is in the best interests of people. 

Hindsight is truly 20/20. Would you have given up Virtanen for a 4th or 5th round pick earlier in his career?

Obviously the Canucks hoped he'd improve in time. He would show just enough to make ppl feel sated for a day. Then he'd go party again.

This was no one's fault except Virtanen. Blaming Benning or anyone else is just wrong.

Mitch Marner, for instance, was a hometown boy for Toronto. He turned out just fine. It's not right to use the hometown excuse.

• Vintage 2