The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Canucks terminate Virtanen’s contract

10 minutes ago, Deets said:

Yet, when we were a contender we would attract free agents like Mats Sundin, Willie Mitchell, Radim Vrbada, Dan Hamhuis, etc.

The point is, you can't speak for everyones needs with a broad brush stroke. Some people want to be rock stars, others wallflowers. Some it's about money, others a cup. You can't just say that nobody wants to sign in Vancouver because our reporters are meanies. Some people don't give a $&!# what the media, social or otherwise, says.

... right, but if even one player feels that way, it puts the team at a disadvantage. 

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think that Vancouver being a smaller city with less going on than say Montreal, Toronto, New York, or the like contributes to the myopic focus that the media has on the Canucks. A lot of these media types count on the frustration of the fan base to generate traffic to their articles.

They straight up engineer the frustration. They were using facebook's business model before facebook

• Vintage 4
3 minutes ago, tas said:

... right, but if even one player feels that way, it puts the team at a disadvantage. 

Yah, but what city has everything? Vancouver is constantly voted as one of the best cities in the world to live. Do you think Buffalo is at an advantage because nobody has expecations? I think most Canuck fans would be surprised to find out that Vancouver isn't any more toxic than Toronto, Montreal or New York. It's the cost of being in a big time market. If you're a timid quite guy who looks at hockey as just a job, Vancouver isn't for you. For others, it has a lot to offer, including a top notch organization that does a lot for it's players, and a fan base and owner that wants to win.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
3 minutes ago, butters said:

They straight up engineer the frustration. They were using facebook's business model before facebook

They know the buttons to press to get fans, that lack the ability to view the team through an objective lens, frustrated about the situation. That rancid old bastard Tony Gallagher has been pushing that narrative for years. 

• Vintage 1
1 hour ago, Me_ said:

MTL

Schmidt

VAN

Toffoli

Means we add a 3rd to the prior trade for him. And I’d still do that trade.

Montreal probably doesn’t bite though…

I think Bennin got a better guy Garlund is willing to play proper D ….Toffoli was showing two years in a row he was not as affective against quicker teams like Vegas and TB

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 3
2 minutes ago, Deets said:

Yah, but what city has everything? Vancouver is constantly voted as one of the best cities in the world to live. Do you think Buffalo is at an advantage because nobody has expecations? I think most Canuck fans would be surprised to find out that Vancouver isn't any more toxic than Toronto, Montreal or New York. It's the cost of being in a big time market. If you're a timid quite guy who looks at hockey as just a job, Vancouver isn't for you. For others, it has a lot to offer, including a top notch organization that does a lot for it's players, and a fan base and owner that wants to win.

It limits our options. Brian Burke and others have said that Vancouver and other Canadian markets are on a lot of the top players no trade list. Media clown toxicity has an adverse effect on our ability to compete for top players.

We are finally on the upswing and that should entice players now but it has been difficult to attract top players without over-paying. When we were down it just fed a cycle of negativity from the clowns and their idiot sycophants. Not only that but we are on the verge of breaking out and the clowns are saying that we will need to rebuild soon. How stupid is that? But sure, keep defending them.

1 hour ago, tas said:

why? if someone says "I'll pay you $5 mil a year to play hockey in my city, but you have to put up with constant harrassment and vitriolic lies from the media and fans," and another person says "I'll also pay you $5 mil a year to play hockey, and you can live a quiet, undisturbed, anonymous life while doing so," why would I "build some mental fortitude" instead of just taking the obviously better offer?

This is just like any other career. Some people have the ambition to try themselves in a more intense/high stakes big market while others are fine with - like you said - taking their paycheck and living in relative anonymity in a low-key market. There's people for everything and neither option is necessarily wrong. 

• Vintage 1
2 hours ago, tas said:

the point is, as pointed out by this player agent and alluded to previously by others in the know, players would rather avoid that toxicity. for most of them it's just not worth the hassle when they can have the exact same career elsewhere without the nonsense. 

Hmmm, then why did OEL give only Vancouver and Boston as his only trade options?

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
10 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mikepage10/status/1419776322667126784/photo/1

Allegedly, it’s a lot more than just one woman, and at least two who have police reports against Jake.  

This group says seven have contacted them. Seven.

Tweet also has the original complainant's first name, hopefully she is using a fake one. 

Anyway....

Seven.

WTF Jake. 

• Wat 1
2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Tweet also has the original complainant's first name, hopefully she is using a fake one. 

Anyway....

Seven.

WTF Jake. 

Probably another reason why he’ll be playing in the KHL.

No team but the Habs want that look.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Fuck Off GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

jake virtanen belongs in jail if these allegations are true, It seems like they are.

Strike any predictions. I hope no team in the NHL takes him.

Edited by RWMc1
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 2
33 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Hmmm, then why did OEL give only Vancouver and Boston as his only trade options?

because I never said that every player is the same person?

30 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Anyway....

Seven.

WTF Jake. 

man if this is true, I have to wonder what his agent is telling teams, who apparently have interest. But after what Bergevin did last week its not a surprise. 

• Hydration 2

About the media attention and the toxic environment surrounding the team, one needs look no further than Montreal to truly appreciate when a team and its players are really under the microscope of the media.  

Unlike Vancouver though, at least the hockey media there is knowledgeable.  Can't say the same for our local "sports media personalities".

• Hydration 1

Benning relied way too heavily on Virtanen and Gaudette both taking a big step in their development last season. Neither of them did, and now here we are.

Edited by Bounce000
  • b3. unfeatured this topic
  • b3. unpinned this topic