The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Canucks terminate Virtanen’s contract

1 minute ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Still need more. Only 13 skaters right now on that list lol. 

Pettersson & Hughes will take a good chunk of that cap hit as they too have to be re-signed RFAs.  Even the JV buyout cut a small amount of cap space.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

He'll be at the Bruins training camp

I doubt it.  Bruins don't want unmotivated, lazy players on their team.  They did wonders with Ritchie, but he was a much stronger/tougher player than Jake to begin with.

I am hoping that a team does take him, as his entire $ will be off the Canucks books.  Being a former 5th overall will probably lead to some interest in him.  Best case scenario is a team where he won't be noticed by the fans.  Humbling times for Jake, but he won't get a 3rd chance if he doesn't pull himself together.

Must be killing JB to have to do this.  Even last season, he still had high hopes for Jake.  Very sad outcome.

• Upvote 1

Just now, -DLC- said:

Exactly how I feel.

Rather than the deep down drive and passion to win/be the best, just getting there and enjoying the status versus pushing in a sky's the limit way.  Settling for a threshold that allowed him the privileges.  I kind of feel Genie Bouchard is in the same trap.

Agree...only difference is that Eugenie Bouchard is making more money outside of tennis than she is playing tennis...Jake, on the other hand, has endorsement deal for local car dealership and Magnuson Ford probably dropped him the minute allegations against Jake became public.  Jake probably NEEDS hockey for income whereas Bouchard doesn't.  His future is as an instructor at Yale Hockey Academy, but that's a stretch (my guess is that his presence at Yale may hurt that program).

I agree with everyone in this thread who gave Jake the benefit of doubt until the wheels fell off this past season...the allegations against him was nothing more than the cherry on top of the $h!t sundae that he created.  I don't have a drop of sadness seeing him go.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

All of sudden we have a lot of cap space. Mostly will be filled with RFA’s but interesting to look at it now 

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

21 mil 

petey - 8 

Hughes - 8 (maybe less)

dicky - 2mil - 2.5mil 

Garland  - 4 mil ? 

That would be 22 mil. Something is gotta give still. We need to sign 2 RHD as well. 1 if we keep Nate.

would be really nice if we didn’t have that damn recapture! 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Good riddance. Regardless of the accusations, he was one of the most frustrating Canucks that I’ve seen. So much raw talent, and so little drive or consistency. He has been a big time letdown.

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That combination of natural talent is very rare and it's a shame that he's basically thrown it away....

...with us. 

I'm inclined to think if perception isn't TOO tainted (nothing has been proven yet) that another team will take a flyer on him at 1m. He just has too many tools for them not to imo.

Will leaving Vancity help him mature? Likely not... but I think there's still a slim chance he becomes at least a reasonably productive player elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Agree...only difference is that Eugenie Bouchard is making more money outside of tennis than she is playing tennis...Jake, on the other hand, has endorsement deal for local car dealership and Magnuson Ford probably dropped him the minute allegations against Jake became public.  Jake probably NEEDS hockey for income whereas Bouchard doesn't.  His future is as an instructor at Yale Hockey Academy, but that's a stretch (my guess is that his presence at Yale may hurt that program).

I agree with everyone in this thread who gave Jake the benefit of doubt until the wheels fell off this past season...the allegations against him was nothing more than the cherry on top of the $h!t sundae that he created.  I don't have a drop of sadness seeing him go.

Genie Bouchard is the new Anna Kournikova really...

• Cheers 2