The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Canucks terminate Virtanen’s contract

14 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Jim the great scout the drafting guru took instead of Pasta and Ehlers. I thought a a good scout would have picked the better player. complete bust

I think it was a classic case of an owner forcing the pick of a local kid before Jim's GM seat was even warm.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, kloubek said:

...with us. 

I'm inclined to think if perception isn't TOO tainted (nothing has been proven yet) that another team will take a flyer on him at 1m. He just has too many tools for them not to imo.

Will leaving Vancity help him mature? Likely not... but I think there's still a slim chance he becomes at least a reasonably productive player elsewhere.

Yep. Definitely a possibility....kind of like Kassian did, although it took him a couple of stops, before it finally clicked in Edmonton. Still, I believe that both Kass and Virtanen have cost themselves a lot of money and a significant amount of their careers, because of their antics.

Just imagine Jake Virtanen with the mindset of a guy like John Tonelli......what could have been....

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

In a perfect world, Schmidt is traded for a second or third; Holtby is traded for a third or fourth.  Coupled with Jake's buyout, it gives the Canucks an additional $12.7M in cap space. That would be a huge win for the Canucks.  I think Boston would be a good trade partner for either or both.

So happy that Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, Virtanen are out.  $14.5M out the door.  Just need another $10M+ (Schmidt and Holtby) to be gone. 

Get Dickison signed for $2.5M to $3.0M; Garland for $3.5M to $4.0M; Pettersson for $7.0M; Hughes for $6.0M to $7.0M; Hamonic for $3.0M and the Canucks are well on their way to be positioned as a playoff team.

Glad that number 18 is being stripped off the back of Jake...hopefully Dickison wears number 18 with more pride and dedication to the craft of hockey and helps all of us forget the bad memories of the past several years.

I would be floored if the Canucks get 40 and 43 for a combined $14M. I'm thinking the damage will be considerably higher. 

1 hour ago, nux_win said:

Not a big surprise.  I wish Jake well in getting his act together but as a hockey fan I've had enough of waiting for him to put it together on the ice.  His flashes of brilliance are just not enough to make up for the frustration of the other 90% of his game.  His on ice performance was frustrating enough.  His off ice shenanigans didn't help him any.  Good luck Jake, but the Canucks are better off without your services.  Go Canucks Go!

Did he really ever have flashes of brilliance? I mean he had some good games but I wouldn't mention brilliant and Virtanen in the same sentence. 

If he had just kept his game simple and utilized his tools he would have been a good supporting player for us. Unfortunately he's been immature both on and off the ice. 

Buh-bye.

• Like 1

Who is Jake Virtanen?

Is that the same kid I thought was going to be what Thachuk is? :picard:

Hes going to the Bruins and will kill it.. Just you wait... 

I mean I get the move, and feel it needed to be done for both sides, but I know whats about to happen lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sassbs said:

Glad we invested a new contract in this bieber loving fool instead of tofu! 

Tofu disappeared in the last round like he disappeared in our last playoff round. With realignment he's not going to get anywhere near the goal totals. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Jim the great scout the drafting guru took instead of Pasta and Ehlers. I thought a a good scout would have picked the better player. complete bust

You know these are 18 tear old kids being scouted. If scouting was a sure thing there would be no Nail Yakupovs, or Alexei Yashins drafted. Love how you have to turn everything into a dig against Benning. Please just go cheer for some other team. So sick of your pointless negativity for the sake of being negative. 

• Cheers 3

59 minutes ago, rekker said:

Wouldn't surprise me if the twins had a lot to do with pulling the plug on Jake. They have no time at all for this type. 

You very well may be right. I think one of the main things with them coming back is to bring back class and the proper culture (of course along with their smarts) 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

Tofu disappeared in the last round like he disappeared in our last playoff round. With realignment he's not going to get anywhere near the goal totals. 

He was injured for both Vancouver and Montreal.   Benning praised him for returning earlier when he should have been out twice as long.  Ducharme confirmed he had a groin injury.

• Thanks 2
  • Huggy Bear 1