The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Canucks terminate Virtanen’s contract

I feel like drafting hometown kids don't work well. He had no chance to mature and be his own man. Sometimes having family and childhood friends around when you are a young millionaire gets you distracted from the goal.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Crabby said:

Who is Jake Virtanen?

Is that the same kid I thought was going to be what Thachuk is? :picard:

Hes going to the Bruins and will kill it.. Just you wait... 

I mean I get the move, and feel it needed to be done for both sides, but I know whats about to happen lol

OK, we'll save this one for later.  

Any team taking a player before the allegations are out of the way don't deserve support.  Period.

So the Marchand face licking academy is open....who cares?

I can't hope for Jake to kill it before knowing if he left a victim in his wake.  If it's proven in his favour, then I can  hope he turns things around but not before that. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, smokes said:

I feel like drafting hometown kids don't work well. He had no chance to mature and be his own man. Sometimes having family and childhood friends around when you are a young millionaire gets you distracted from the goal.

I think were good now....

....seems like all we draft now are Swedes, Russians and Yanks....B)

35 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

In a perfect world, Schmidt is traded for a second or third; Holtby is traded for a third or fourth.  Coupled with Jake's buyout, it gives the Canucks an additional $12.7M in cap space. That would be a huge win for the Canucks.  I think Boston would be a good trade partner for either or both.

So happy that Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, Virtanen are out.  $14.5M out the door.  Just need another $10M+ (Schmidt and Holtby) to be gone. 

Get Dickison signed for $2.5M to $3.0M; Garland for $3.5M to $4.0M; Pettersson for $7.0M; Hughes for $6.0M to $7.0M; Hamonic for $3.0M and the Canucks are well on their way to be positioned as a playoff team.

Glad that number 18 is being stripped off the back of Jake...hopefully Dickison wears number 18 with more pride and dedication to the craft of hockey and helps all of us forget the bad memories of the past several years.

Free agency opens up on the 28th.   Only a few days left to make those moves.   Other teams might prefer to go to free agency though.  Puts Vancouver a bit in a tough spot.  Do they replace Holtby when he has yet to be traded.  Can they add Ds in free agency if Schmidt is still around. 

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

How did the scouting guru ever land this prize. And to all those "Jake for Primeminister" brigade  ... trust your eyes not the hype. 

Hmmmm, interesting.

Uncle?  Brother?  Cousin? Granpappy?

11 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I have no comment on his personal situation. Has he been criminally charged? do we know any real details?

Sad to see a raw talent like him go. I still think he could be a solid NHL'r but I understand this move.

Good luck Jake. 

There won't likely be criminal charges because frankly, the evidence to be used in a criminal case is probably pretty weak because of the time passed, plus loss of evidence.

I can understand why she didn't report, but every detail could have helped her for a formal complaint. Three years later, I assume text messages will be available before and after the hotel encounter. However, they may help and hurt the victim at the same time. If she continued talking to him afterwards, there could be the counterargument from Virtanen's lawyers that her accusations are exaggerated. Furthermore, and this is a reiteration from above, the physical evidence is likely long gone. Unless there was a camera rolling during the altercation, we have no idea what happened in that room. There is just not enough because the standard in a criminal case is substantially higher than civil. Therefore, this is likely going to be a civil case.

Personally, I think she can only win if Virtanen settles, which is not much of a win, but better than nothing. Either way, Virtanen brought this problem to himself.

Edited by Dazzle

9 minutes ago, smokes said:

Mitch Marner did just fine.

52 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Jim the great scout the drafting guru took instead of Pasta and Ehlers. I thought a a good scout would have picked the better player. complete bust

yeah, I sure wish we drafted guys like EP, or QH, or Bo, or Demko, etc who are all playing in the NHL and not just being successful, but instrumental.

Man, why can’t our GM and management team learn how to draft. Always striking out.

Why don’t you do some research before you post nonsense? 

Guess who was drafted that same year?

1st round? McCann 

2nd round? Demko.
3rd round? Tryamkin.

5th round (because we didn’t own a 4th)? Forsling.

Take a look at the draft log and see how many players from the those rounds failed to even sniff the NHL. 

Sorry man, you’re entitled to your opinion but the consensus amongst most pundits is that Benning is one of the best GMs at drafting. Not his fault that JV couldnt mature enough to take the next step. That’s on the player and many fail at doing just that. You can only give them the opportunity and that’s what was provided over and over and over.

Edited by RWJC

1 minute ago, buddhahoodlum said:

WTF?! What kind of creep lists Luc Bourdon (RIP)  who died in an accident before he could realize his potential with players who didn't work out? Give your head a shake man. 

You took that the wrong way imo 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

There won't likely be criminal charges because frankly, the evidence to be used in a criminal case is probably pretty weak because of the time passed, plus loss of evidence.

I can understand why she didn't report, but every detail could have helped her for a formal complaint. Three years later, I assume text messages will be available before and after the hotel encounter. However, they may help and hurt the victim at the same time. If she continued talking to him afterwards, there could be the counterargument from Virtanen's lawyers that her accusations are exaggerated. Furthermore, and this is a reiteration from above, the physical evidence is likely long gone. Unless there was a camera rolling during the altercation, we have no idea what happened in that room. There is just not enough because the standard in a criminal case is substantially higher than civil. Therefore, this is likely going to be a civil case.

Personally, I think she can only win if Virtanen settles, which is not much of a win, but better than nothing. Either way, Virtanen brought this problem to himself.

I hear all you are saying and understand the difference between civil and criminal. 

However, he has denied any wrong doing. He has stated it was consensual. If that is true, which seems like we will never find out, then your bolded statement is sad for a young man. He may have brought it on himself, he may actually be innocent. 

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Even more to the point, I don't really think that Rooster and Beagle were "mistakes". Both did yeoman service while they were here.

As far as Jake goes, at the time of the draft, we needed the kind of player he projected to be more than we did Ehlers. If a mistake was made there, perhaps it was in the pre-draft interview stage? Surely there must have been some warning signs.....

They are the type of players you sign to fill out the roster when you're a contender. Like Gillis did with Malhotra, Torres, Higgins and Lappy. We were never contenders.

Trevor Linden was right about putting his foot down about signing those guys. The buyouts prove Trevor was right and JB was wrong.

Fast forward a few years and Trevor runs a chain of fitness clubs and JB still runs the team. Still pisses me off that Trevor left over the mismanagement and not being listened to.

And here we are, with mistakes turning into buyouts that cost the #9 OA pick.

• Thanks 1