The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Canucks terminate Virtanen’s contract

Some good times for sure, but a lot to leave desired in the end. Hope he gets a chance to figure it out somewhere, and I'm mostly talking about off-ice stuff more than on-ice.

22 minutes ago, mll said:

He was injured for both Vancouver and Montreal.   Benning praised him for returning earlier when he should have been out twice as long.  Ducharme confirmed he had a groin injury.

Its the playoffs. Everyone's hurt. 

• Cheers 1

I defended him all the way up until sexual misconduct. I hope it's not true, but the allegations alone are enough for me to say we need to cut ties. Take care Jake. Unless you're a pervert, in which case. Grow up Jake. Either way. This is a positive step forward for us, and can be for him if he learns from all this stuff. Even Kassian started to learn, and he looks like he's from a different era in human history.

• Upvote 3

Too bad it didn’t work out.

Really bad for his future that the investigation is ongoing while he is bought out. That will definitely not help him down the road. With the season and progress in general, he was likely to be bought out regardless. The timing sucks for him to redeem himself as a player but it is what it is and Bertuzzi would say. In the end he was in the position to make it work anyways.

I’m hoping he gets a chance still and that he can get it going again elsewhere.

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Bure2Win said:

We've had some good picks in the first round recently but man we've had some really bad luck as well. Jake Virtanen, Brendan Gaunce, Nicklas Jensen, Cody Hodgson, Patrick White, Luc Bourdon, Nathan Smith..........Sig

Don't forget my personal favorite, Jason Herter.  Sure good thing we didn't draft Bobby Holik that year...or Travis Green ;)

34 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Tofu disappeared in the last round like he disappeared in our last playoff round. With realignment he's not going to get anywhere near the goal totals. 

This was reported that Toffoli played with groin injury in Stanley Cup finals.

• Cheers 3

That was expected and I wonder which NHL team would approach him... just not worth the risk!! He'll probably latch on somewhere in Russia!

So, we now have about $2M freed up and we should be able to sign a solid 4th line centre or keep Hamonic!! 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Spoosh said:

Too bad it didn’t work out.

Really bad for his future that the investigation is ongoing while he is bought out. That will definitely not help him down the road. With the season and progress in general, he was likely to be bought out regardless. The timing sucks for him to redeem himself as a player but it is what it is and Bertuzzi would say. In the end he was in the position to make it work anyways.

I’m hoping he gets a chance still and that he can get it going again elsewhere.

Is there still a criminal investigation going on? or is it now a civil suit for punitive and exemplary damages? Which from what I understand ( according to google) is '  an award made not for the purpose of compensating the plaintiff but for punishing the defendant'

Edit: to answer my own question. I have read that the investigations may still be on going. An independent one by the Nucks and the Police. No criminal charges yet though. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1