The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Schmidt and Holtby to Philly

5 hours ago, Provost said:

Philly is looking for a goalie and still needs help on D.

Moving Schmidt and Holtby solves their problems and opens up costs space for us.

A return could be Laughton, Braun, and a pick/prospect.

Laughton is a versatile player high energy player who could be our 3C or play wing.  Braun is a steady RD stopgap.

Miller-Petterson-Boeser 

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland

Pearson-Laughton-Podkolzin

Motte-Dickinson-Sutter/Highmore

Hughes-Hamonic

OEL-Braun

Rathbone-Myers

Juolevi

With the added cap space maybe we can do an upgrade on Hamonic in that spot.

I think the Holtby for Braun part of this could be do-able. Sanheim's next deal eats up the cap space needed for Nate.

But maybe Holtby 500k retained, Braun back? leaves us a net 2 mil in cap space, and PHI gets Holtby at a decent number.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Call it what is is, a cap dump by the Canucks. Pretty hard to benefit much if at all with these moves other than by clearing out cap space and trying to not take too much back in return.

Adding 10 million to the Flyers in cap and taking 4.8 back leave the Flyers with very little to sign their remaining free agents. They are short on players for their defense and backup goaltending and have several RFA's to consider so this may be a bit high of an ask.

The Canucks would be surely needing to retain salary on Holtby and would not be getting a pick in return.

Philly still needs help on their blueline?

They have:

1) Provorov returning - who played 25 minutes a night for them. #1 penalty killer, 2nd unit powerplay.

2) Sanheim returning - who was their '#2' - just under 22 minutes (and #3 penalty killer)

3) Ryan Ellis - Nashville's '#2' - at 23:46 / night - their #2 powerplay D and #3 penalty killer

4) Ristolainen - Buffalo's '#1' minute muncher at 22+ minutes a night (and a principal #2 penalty killer).

5) Braun returning - another principal penalty killer (2:27/game) - who played 18:32/night....

110 minutes/game with those 5 - and loaded with special teams options /all situations.

They need help?

They're already over $20 million of cap on their blueline - with Sanheim to re-sign....Nate Schmidt would push them up to $24 million + on that blueline with Sanheim still to be accounted for.

And they have 14thOA19 Cam York wanting in....

All they really 'need' is an affordable depth D or two - at most a LH comparable to Braun (a 1.8 million cap hit).

I mean - I'd probably take this deal from our viewpoint - we get a solid, affordable depth RHD and a very good young/prime defensive/two-way center that would fit well here imo - but I'd be very surprised if Philly entertained this....

Edited by oldnews

52 minutes ago, oldnews said:

how so?

If we are dealing Schmidt,  we need the principle piece coming back to be a better fit on our d.  

I think we are really solid for forwards,  and can roll 3 good lines.  This deal makes that better,  but weakens our d.  I think that defeats the purpose of dealing Schmidt.

1 minute ago, BCNate said:

If we are dealing Schmidt,  we need the principle piece coming back to be a better fit on our d.  

I think we are really solid for forwards,  and can roll 3 good lines.  This deal makes that better,  but weakens our d.  I think that defeats the purpose of dealing Schmidt.

this deal gives us a legitimate future 3C candidate, and a solid and affordable depth RHD - while leaving a relatively healthy chunk of cap savings that can be utilized in free agency or another deal. you don't have to accomplish all your goals in one transaction.

But the deal doesn't really make sense for Philly imo.

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

this deal gives us a legitimate future 3C candidate, and a solid and affordable depth RHD - while leaving a relatively healthy chunk of cap savings that can be utilized in free agency or another deal. you don't have to accomplish all your goals in one transaction.

But the deal doesn't really make sense for Philly imo.

I don’t disagree with Laughton being a good piece.  My point is we need to improve the RH side of our D right now much more than we do 3C.  Schmidt is our best trade able  asset to do that.  

5 hours ago, BCNate said:

I don’t disagree with Laughton being a good piece.  My point is we need to improve the RH side of our D right now much more than we do 3C.  Schmidt is our best trade able  asset to do that.  

I'm not particularly interested in dealing Schmidt myself.

He's perfectly capable of playing the right side - and swapping him for a comparable RHD is wishful imo - I'm open to proposals but haven't necessarily seen any good/viable ones.

The team probably needs another RHD - unless it turns out that OEL and Hughes work well as a pairing - easy to speculate, hard to say until you see them in action - but if that does turn out to be the case, most of this talk is to fix something that otherwise would not be broken. 

Personally, I'd be more inclined to retain the D that we have at this point and go out and add the best possible option/s in free agency.

Ideally they add a veteran LHD as well - particularly if OEL or Hughes and Schmidt rounded out the right side with Myers - Edler back would be solid imo because otherwise the team has 3 young LHD...(and most people want to see at least a pair of them make the lineup)  but I have no problem with the rumours of McCabe or Smith - there are others that could probably fit in a depth role - and at least a handful of RHD UFAs that could help or at least provide serviceable depth.  With 3 young LHD, the team probably needs to go at least 8 deep...

I don't see the urgency to deal Schmidt - and I also don't necessarily take the sourcing/stories all that seriously.

Schmidt was alright under terrible conditions last season - there probably aren't that many options that improve the team over what he brings.

If he's not 'happy' here - be a professional and show up for your millions/contract - I imagine if that were the case the team would do what they can to find something that makes sense, and/or would revisit it if/when it does make sense (as the Yotes had to do with OEL).

Edited by oldnews