The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Canadiens Proposal

With Weber coming off the books to LTIR for the Canadiens, it leaves a gap on their right side. Canadiens may potentially have 20M in cap space come time.

Canucks sadly need more cap space to resign Petey and Hughes (near 15M if long term), Dickinson and Garland (7 M).

Canucks trade Schmidt to the Canadiens in exchange for a 2022 2nd round pick, and the Ducks 3rd rd pick Montreal currently possesses. 

Canucks can use savings for Hamonic if they decide to pursue him for 3M to fill a gap

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, mll said:

Friedman says that Montreal are targeting David Savard to replace Weber.  

Nothing Against Savard. I would be happy to have him at the right term and price. But that’s rough for Montreal 

1 hour ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

With Weber coming off the books to LTIR for the Canadiens, it leaves a gap on their right side. Canadiens may potentially have 20M in cap space come time.

Canucks sadly need more cap space to resign Petey and Hughes (near 15M if long term), Dickinson and Garland (7 M).

Canucks trade Schmidt to the Canadiens in exchange for a 2022 2nd round pick, and the Ducks 3rd rd pick Montreal currently possesses. 

Canucks can use savings for Hamonic if they decide to pursue him for 3M to fill a gap

Canadians are not on Schmidts list of acceptable teams

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

This would be great, but Schmidt has a 10 team no grade, and it’s highly likely all the Canadian teams are on his “no go” list.

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

What makes you think that?  He came to Vancouver after all.

There was talk that Schmidt took less money to re-sign with Vegas on his last deal because of the favorable income tax liabilities in the state of Nevada.  I'm going to guess that after it was all said and done, Schmidt wants to get back to the US and to a state that has no state income tax (i.e., Washington, Nevada, Texas, Florida, etc.), where he'll be paying 37% instead of the 33% federal plus 16% (on everything over $158K) - so almost 49% (not to mention escrow, etc.) that he's paying now. 

If I'm Schmidt, I would want to keep the $900,000USD or so, rather than giving it to Revenue Canada (maybe he's got a place in Point Roberts?).

Montreal is good on left shot D. They need a top 6 Right shot PMD. Schmidt doesn’t  fit the bill at all. Also, even if Montreal had interest, (which I’d bet money that they don’t) Vancouver is starting to bump up against the cap. If Montreal takes the full cap hit they’re not paying a 2nd snd a high 3rd for Schmidt. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Montreal is good on left shot D. They need a top 6 Right shot PMD. Schmidt doesn’t  fit the bill at all. Also, even if Montreal had interest, (which I’d bet money that they don’t) Vancouver is starting to bump up against the cap. If Montreal takes the full cap hit they’re not paying a 2nd snd a high 3rd for Schmidt. 

Schmidt plays both sides, and is a puck mover. He’d be the Habs best D right away.  He won’t waive to go there though.  First it’s in Canada, and second it’s clear they will miss the playoffs next year.  

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Schmidt plays both sides, and is a puck mover. He’d be the Habs best D right away.  He won’t waive to go there though.  First it’s in Canada, and second it’s clear they will miss the playoffs next year.  

Bergevin doesn’t like playing defenceman on their off side.  Also, Petry is MUCH better than Schmidt. Schmidt doesn’t fit the bill. It doesn’t mean he’s not good, but he doesn’t fit.  They can spend their cap space better. A guy like Savard is a better fit and Montreal has been linked to him by insiders more reliable than Eklund 

11 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Bergevin doesn’t like playing defenceman on their off side.  Also, Petry is MUCH better than Schmidt. Schmidt doesn’t fit the bill. It doesn’t mean he’s not good, but he doesn’t fit.  They can spend their cap space better. A guy like Savard is a better fit and Montreal has been linked to him by insiders more reliable than Eklund 

I’m thinking Schmidt will stay here and help the club into the playoffs, and go on a run.  

to MTL - Holtby, Pearson and Luongo's Penalty

to VAN - Price (15% retained), Romanov, 1st (2022) and 2nd (2023)

Even with the Edit, it seems ridiculous.  It was more about having a Cup contending goalie and Romanov, plus the high picks don't hurt.  But I realize Price makes way too much for it to work.

Edited by NUCKER67

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I’m thinking Schmidt will stay here and help the club into the playoffs, and go on a run.  

we could throw in matching red suits. 

I don't think there's a good relationship between Bergie the Clown and Benning, can't see a deal made here.