Petey - 6x 7.25

Dickinson - 3 x 2m

Garland - 5x 4.5m

Mikael Granlund - 2x 3.5m

Hughes - 4 x 5.5
Hamonic - 2x 3.75m

Schenn - 2x .950k

Hakanpaa - 2x 1.25m

Trade Schmidt for combination of picks and prospects (3rd + B prospect sounds good)

Trade Holtby if possible but not a deal breaker. Would be easier to move at TD with money retained. 

feedback? 

Edited by RecklessReilly
Typos
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Canucks don't have the cap to bring Granlund in. Also, we don't need Granlund. I suspect the Canucks will sign a cheap 4C. Dickinson was brought in to be the 3C, not the 4C. Won't be shocked if Travis Boyd is re-signed.

Schenn can be had for 1 year, not two. I like the idea of Schenn as a bottom pairing d-man.

Hakanpaa would be great as a depth defender. He's a good target.

I think Schmidt staying is more likely than Holtby sticking around. Holtby will be bought out if he is not dealt. Both more likely to be traded before training camp. If Holtby is moved, curious who would be the backup. I think the Canucks will let Mikey play in Abbotsford. Could see someone like James Reimer being brought in for 1 year at 2 mill.

Also Rathbone is making this team. He's too good not to be on the team. He's at least better than Juolevi.

And I wouldn't count out Will Lockwood making the team as a 4th line winger over Highmore, MacEwen, and Gadjovich. Lockwood is fast and plays a physical game. Would be an asset on the 4th line. It'll be interesting to see where he goes because I think he's gonna make this team out of camp.

Yeah Granlund might be too rich. Perhaps a water down version. I do fear Dickinson lacks the playmaking ability to anchor a productive 3rd line. Which we all want if it’s hogz and podz. I think we need a equal talent C as dicky, but just a different play style. Maybe Derek Ryan? 

Greg McKegg might be a good option for a 4/5th nhl c. Very close with Bo I believe outside of hockey.

I really like lockwoods game! At a certain point, there are 4-5 guys that fill our 4th line wings. 

as for rathbone he and olli a wash. That’s why I have 4 pairings. Just want 8 NHL caliber guys. 

Cheers

Derek Ryan would be really intriguing. I think he was wrongly used in Calgary and could be a really nice depth piece. Good idea.

I also think Jujhar Khaira could be a really interesting gamble for the Canucks. He's a hometown guy, could be a 4th liner, adds some experience to the 4th line for a team that wants to win and go deep in the playoffs. I won't be shocked to see him sign a 1 year.

I wouldn't be surprised if a Euro signing-type player comes in to take the 3C/4C spot. Not sure who that would be but there could be someone who played in the SHL, NL, DEL, or KHL that we aren't even thinking of that could be a surprise.

19 hours ago, RecklessReilly said:

Here is my hopes for off-season. 

Miller - Petey - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Garland 

Hoglander -  Granlund - Podkolzin 

Motte - Dickinson - Macewan 

Gadjovic - X - Highmore 

OEL - Hamonic 

Hughes - Hakanpaa

Juolevi - Myers 

Rathbone - Schenn

Demko

Holtby

Petey - 6x 7.25

Dickinson - 3 x 2m

Garland - 5x 4.5m

Mikael Granlund - 2x 3.5m

Hughes - 4 x 5.5
Hamonic - 2x 3.75m

Schenn - 2x .950k

Hakanpaa - 2x 1.25m

Trade Schmidt for combination of picks and prospects (3rd + B prospect sounds good)

Trade Holtby if possible but not a deal breaker. Would be easier to move at TD with money retained. 

feedback? 

I think Benning sees Dickinson as being our 3rd line C as he feels that Dickinson has some untapped offensive potential.

I like your suggestion of Hakanpa, but the Canucks still need that top pairing RD ‘defensive defenseman’ to be the ying to the yang for OEL or Hughes.  Hakanpa and Hamonic are decent second pairing options but they aren’t guys that should be taking on tough match ups on a first pairing (going up against the top players of other teams).

Truth be told, I think putting OEL-Schmidt in such a role would also be risky since both guys are more OFD’s than TWD’s (which is something that Benning and I might disagree on).

My hope is that we can still find that young stud RD that can play top pairing minutes for us and alleviate defensive pressure off of OEL or Hughes.

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

I think Benning sees Dickinson as being our 3rd line C as he feels that Dickinson has some untapped offensive potential.

I like your suggestion of Hakanpa, but the Canucks still need that top pairing RD ‘defensive defenseman’ to be the ying to the yang for OEL or Hughes.  Hakanpa and Hamonic are decent second pairing options but they aren’t guys that should be taking on tough match ups on a first pairing (going up against the top players of other teams).

Truth be told, I think putting OEL-Schmidt in such a role would also be risky since both guys are more OFD’s than TWD’s (which is something that Benning and I might disagree on).

My hope is that we can still find that young stud RD that can play top pairing minutes for us and alleviate defensive pressure off of OEL or Hughes.

Yes! I like your train of thought.

maybe Dickinson can emerge from a checking C to a two way C. Sort of like how Kesler developed in his mid 20’s. One can hope

I totally agree we need a long term RD option. On the right side of 30. However those dont grow on trees and cost an arm and a leg. I think we have extended ourselves enough as a team and need to find some cheap gems that out produce their salary.

cheers

2 hours ago, RecklessReilly said:

Yes! I like your train of thought.

maybe Dickinson can emerge from a checking C to a two way C. Sort of like how Kesler developed in his mid 20’s. One can hope

I totally agree we need a long term RD option. On the right side of 30. However those dont grow on trees and cost an arm and a leg. I think we have extended ourselves enough as a team and need to find some cheap gems that out produce their salary.

cheers

I think Benning will give Dickinson this coming year to really take ownership of that 3rd line C position in which he can establish himself as a two way threat in terms of keeping his solid defensive play up but contributing offensively as well.  Dickinson will certainly get that chance with two of Hoglander, Pearson, and Podkolzin.  If Dickinson isn’t adequate for this role however, then I think Benning will bring in another guy next year using the freed up salary from Luongo’s cap recapture which would then move Dickinson to the 4th line.

You’re also right about that top pairing RD spot.  That’s why I’m still quite bummed that we lost out on Adam Larsson as I think he would have been a great fit there.  I’m still hoping that we can work out something with Seattle in which we do something related to Schmidt for Larsson (if Schmidt still wants out of here).

If this isn’t possible however, then my hope is that we can acquire a longer term asset for that role that is on the verge of becoming that top pairing defensive RD option.  Like a Rasmus Andersson for instance.    

While I like guys like Hamonic, Hakanpa, and Savard, none of these guys are players that should be playing on top pairings, or taking on the toughest defensive matchups.  These guys aren’t Edler or Tanev.  I have absolutely no problem with these guys playing on our 2nd pairing however.  

Another concern that I have with Benning is that he might be miscasting a potential pairing of OEL-Schmidt in terms of what they can do. While Benning sees them as two way Dmen that can take on tough match ups, my impression of both of these dmen is that they are more “offensive defensemen” that need that steady stay at home defensive partner by their side in order to maximize their effectiveness.   

With OEL, Myers, Schmidt, Hughes, and Rathbone on our D, my concern with our current S configuration is that we have too many chiefs and not enough Indians in terms of an OFD/DFD imbalance.  

But as you say, acquiring these young ‘Erik Cernak’ or ‘Brandon Carlo’ type guys are very very difficulty.

Personally?  If you ask me?  My vote is that we try and do something Schmidt-Rasmus Andersson related.  Andersson isn’t a top pairing RD but he’s getting close, and more importantly, he’s a youngish asset that can be a part of our core for the long term.  

OEL-Andersson

Hughes-Hamonic

Rathbone-Myers / Juolevi-Myers

Another thing with me is that I like Juolevi with Myers more than I do Rathbone with Myers since OJ is a bit more defensively inclined I believe.  Will be interesting to see how that 3rd pairing plays out.  

• Upvote 1

Thank you for your insight on this. Really appreciate the thought you out into this.

Hakanpaa should definitely be on the Canucks radar. $1.25 may not be enough to keep Philadelphia away though. May need to be upped closer to $1.5 -1.75M. $2million would be too rich.

Granlund would be nice but I feel as though he'll be priced out... more likely to go to Toronto (who can't stop spending money) or retained by Nashville (Because they need as much firepower as they can muster).