The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] do we pursue our top 6 forward!

Can we offload two more contracts to those teams in desperate need. to free up more cap room while gaining much needed draft picks in return? and add our top six forward that can score much needed goals for a more balanced complete team! I most definitely think Jim can! 

for instance- say one of these two guys from our defence. Either Tyler Myers or Nate Schmidt

those two contracts are 12 mill at 6 mill a piece. We can knock down our cap 6 million. Yes i know we need defence! We can get a high end underrated defensemen at a sale price tag saving us some cap room to play with. Through free agency, Or even by trade. Yes i think our defence is good enough. Even with one of these out of the equation. Now that OEL is on board. 

Option number two would be pretty much same thing here. We should move Tanner Pearson for much needed draft picks to a team that desperately need his style of play to they're roster. Which would open 3.25 mill in cap while gaining much needed picks. 

who is this goal scorer that can complete our top 6 scoring! Vladimir Tarasenko is that guy for us! Hes a proven goal scorer his cap hit currently 7.5 million until 2023 why not take a gamble on Tarasenko! Id lose another first round  and a second rd pick for this guy! Yes he's a liability with his current injury. But we can use his scoring abilities. We can get another top notch underrated Dman through free agency at a cheaper price tag. Why not upgrade our offence? Thats what were trying to do aint we?

Edited by KnuckleHead16

7 minutes ago, KnuckleHead16 said:

Can we offload two more contracts to those teams in desperate need. to free up more cap room while gaining much needed draft picks in return? and add our top six forward that can score much needed goals for a more balanced complete team! Jim Benning! I think he can! 

for instance- say one of these two guys from our defence. Either Tyler Myers or Nate Schmidt

those two contracts are 12 mill at 6 mill a piece. We can knock down our cap 6 million. Yes i know we need defence! We can get a high end underrated defensemen at a sale price tag saving us some cap room to play with. Through free agency, Or even by trade. Yes i think our defence is good enough. Even with one of these out of the equation. Now that OEL is on board. 

Option number two would be pretty much same thing here. We should move Tanner Pearson or Brandon Sutter for much needed draft picks to a team that desperately need their style of play to they're roster. Which would open 3.25-4.5 mill in cap while gaining much needed picks. 

who is this goal scorer that can complete our top 6 scoring! Vladimir Tarasenko is that guy for us! Hes a proven goal scorer his cap hit currently 7.5 million until 2023 why not take a gamble on Tarasenko! Id lose another first round  and a second rd pick for this guy! Yes he's a liability with his current injury. But we can use his scoring abilities. We can get another top notch underrated Dman through free agency at a cheaper price tag. Why not upgrade our offence? Thats what were trying to do aint we?

We have to have defense as well, you can’t trade Myers or Schmidt without bringing someone in at similar value to replace them.

Brandon Sutter is a UFA in 3 days, it’s unlikely that we’re going to re-sign him, just to trade him.

We just re-signed Pearson to a nice reasonable contract, team isn’t going to trade him right now, right after signing him unless you want to lose a LOT of credibility with future free agents.

We largely made the space we needed when we moved Beagle, Roussel and Eriksson and then bought out Virtanen. we’ll likely move Holtby and we’re good after that. There’s a LOT of risk in Tarasenko, that’s why Seattle passed on him for free!

Edited by VegasCanuck

We won’t be adding a top 6 forward. We are set up pretty good in that area now with Garland.

I mean we will see 2 of Pearson Hogz and Podz on the third line… 

Defence and bottom 6 depth are what we now need. Back up goalie if Holtby is traded 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

We have to have defense as well, you can’t trade Myers or Schmidt without bringing someone in at similar value to replace them.

Brandon Sutter is a UFA in 3 days, it’s unlikely that we’re going to re-sign him, just to trade him.

We just re-signed Pearson to a nice reasonable contract, team isn’t going to trade him right now, right after signing him unless you want to lose a LOT of credibility with future free agents.

We largely made the space we needed when we moved Beagle, Roussel and Eriksson and then bought out Virtanen. we’ll likely move Holtby and we’re good after that. There’s a LOT of risk in Tarasenko, that’s why Seattle passed on him for free!

Meant to leave sutter out of the equation my mistake.  

Our top six is likely made up of Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Pearson, Garland, Hoglander, Miller, and Podkolzin. Don't see why we'd need to add another guy to the mix. 

If anything we need help on D, a backup (assuming Holtby is moved or bought out), and should still be taking a hard look at who and what we want in a 3c. 

Also, no, there's been enough of our moving picks out for one offseason. Hold on to all picks, or add some.

Edited by Coconuts

8 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Yeah pretty set at winger I think what we need is to trade Holtby to save some cap space. So we can afford Hamonic, a third line Center, backup goalie and raises to our young guys.

I think raises should be earned not given. I also think we definitely need more scoring touch on this team, for Bos line. I just dont see it yet with the our current squad. Defence looks great though! Still need to score goals to win more games imho. I think Tarasenko or even Kuzzy could help out in that department.