The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Remaining Moves to Complete Roster for 21-22 Season

Rate this topic

49 minutes ago, nuckfanfromafrica said:

1. add size and physicality on defense. Ideally right shots to complement our puck moving LHD

2. Resign Pettersson and Hughes to cap friendly deals to allow for some flexibility.

3. add size on the bottom forward group

4. Russian player to help Podkolzin acclimate to team/off ice (one that fits within our 22 - 26 core age group)

5. add a bottom forward center that is good at pk with character

Great job on this.

I think the forward group has come together pretty well already and not a lot of additions need to be done there. I would say #3 and #5 could/should be the same player to meet both demands.

I don't put as much weight on adding a Russian player as some have as Podz could be set up with a Russian billet family and an off ice assistant or the like to help him adjust as well.

I would add a number 6 to the list in that I would like to have Holtby and Schmidt's contracts offloaded to free up more free agency space.

• Hydration 1

Good thought process and kudos on the presentation!!

Initial thoughts (on all above)

>  not sure 2 newlyweds want to billet.  I imagine they'd want the full Vancouver experience as a couple, with their own apartment

>  I dont think Podz vaults right onto a top 2 line.  I could see Garland pushing Hoagie down a line, but I can't see Green separating Bo and Pearson  - their chemistry is just too good

> No way Sutter comes for $1 million  -  that'd actually be a somewhat insulting offer.  He's worth more than double that to 2/3rds the teams in the league

> I dont think we pry Appleton from Seattle.  He was one player Francis mention post draft as having the versatility they were looking for when making their picks

> I like Hakanpaa - he'd be a great addition. Not expensive, either, I reckon.  Great partner for Juolevi

Good talking points.  Will revisit later,  but 10 thumbs up, OP

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Googlie said:

> I like Hakanpaa - he'd be a great addition. Not expensive, either, I reckon.  Great partner for Juolevi

You mean a 6'5", 218 pound, right hand shooting, defensive defenceman, who averaged 18 minutes a night on a very good Carolina defence? Hakanpaa is going to get paid, and it won't be a million AAV for two years. There will be a lineup waiting to talk to him on July 28th. I doubt the Canucks will have enough to afford him.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2
15 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

You mean a 6'5", 218 pound, right hand shooting, defensive defenceman, who averaged 18 minutes a night on a very good Carolina defence? Hakanpaa is going to get paid, and it won't be a million AAV for two years. There will be a lineup waiting to talk to him on July 28th. I doubt the Canucks will have enough to afford him.

Yeah I don't see a team landing him for less then 2.8 mil/year if not a bit more. 

12 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah I don't see a team landing him for less then 2.8 mil/year if not a bit more. 

Hard to see what it’ll take to get him. His contracts have been unusual in that he has had two consecutive one year deals, 2019 was $850,000 and 2020 it dropped to $750,000. I agree with you that it’ll likely start with a 2 and possibly 3. He’s a guy that you should make your offer to the moment FA opens while others are going big game hunting and hope that he gets big eyes and signs.

• Hydration 2
6 hours ago, nuckfanfromafrica said:

Benning has done a good job so far this offseason. Personally like the recent acquisitions of Ekman-Larson & Garland along with creating some cap flexibility.

imho the remaining items to address going into the season (not in a particular order) are:

1. add size and physicality on defense. Ideally right shots to complement our puck moving LHD

2. Resign Pettersson and Hughes to cap friendly deals to allow for some flexibility.

3. add size on the bottom forward group

4. Russian player to help Podkolzin acclimate to team/off ice (one that fits within our 22 - 26 core age group)

5. add a bottom forward center that is good at pk with character

The below moves allows us to address these aforementioned needs:

TRADES:

a.. Move Nate Schmidt & Jayce Hawryluk to Ana for Josh Mason & Alexander  Volkov. moves helps accomplish 1 & 4 on the list of to dos. 

b. Move Braden Holtby to Sea for Mason Appleton. Add a late draft pick (2023 3 or 4th) to facilitate trade. Sea gets a veteran to mentor young goalies. Van gains some cap flexibility.

RFA Signing:

a. resign Pettersson to a 5 - 7yr aav of approximately $7million

b. resign Q Hughes to a $6million aav for 5yrs

c. resign Juolevi to $950k - $1million aav for 2yrs

d. resign Conor Garland to a 2-3 yr on a $3.75million aav

e. resign Jason Dickinson to a $2.5miilion aav 2 - 3yr term

UFA Signing:

a. resign Travis Hamonic to a $2.5million aav for 2-3yrs.

b. resign Brandon Sutter at a $1million aav for 1-2yrs (good locker room presence and penalty killer)

c. sign Jani Hakanpaa to a 2yr $1million aav.

d. sign a Veteran goalie in Devan Dubnyk (could have a Stella season behind a D structure)

ROSTER SIZE SALARY CAP CAP HIT OVERAGES q2.svg BONUSES CAP SPACE
23 $81,500,000 $80,860,659 $648,780 $1,050,000

$639,341

Roll 4 productive lines (Each line features a playmaking scorer)

Line 1A:      J.T Miller - Elias Pettersson - Conor Garland

Conor Garland - Can score goals but is at his best when setting up linemates, mostly because of excellent vision and passing skills. Great complementary piece allowing us to move Boeser to another line. Strong along the walls (like Toffoli was with us), drives the net and good setup man from behind the net.

Line 1B:    Vasily Podkolzin - Bo Horvat - Brock Boeser

Vasily Podkolzin - playmaker to setup Boeser and has good one-one skills along with a power game.

Line 3A:    Tanner Pearson - Jason Dickinson - Nils Hoglander

Nil Hoglander - playmaker and glue guy. Pretty much our second line this past season with Dickinson replacing Horvat on the line.

Line 3B:    Tyler Motte - Brandon Sutter - Mason Appleton

Appleton - Owns excellent playmaking ability, but he can also score goals by himself. Tends to make his linemates better whenever he is on the ice

Extras: Alexander Volkov - Zack MacEwen

Defensive Pairs with a puck mover and size on each

PAIR 1: Quinn Hughes - Josh Manson (Myers can sub in for offensive starts)

PAIR 2; Oliver Ekman-Larsson - Travis Hamonic (Match up pair)

PAIR 3: Olli Juolevi - Tyler Myers

Extra: Jani Hakanpaa (start Rathbone in the minors. First call up to replace a LHD puck mover)

Goalies: Thatcher Demko & Devan Dubnyk

Power Play 1

Boeser, B.
Miller, J.
Pettersson, E.

Hughes, Q.
Ekman-Larsson, O.

Power Play 2

Garland, C.
Horvat, B.
Podkolzin, V.

Höglander, N.
Myers, T.

Penalty Kill 1

Sutter, B.
Motte, T.

Ekman-Larsson, O.
Manson, J.

Penalty Kill 2

Dickinson, J.
Pearson, T.

Juolevi, O.
Hamonic, T.

You should get this into Uncle Jim's inbox !

5 hours ago, Timråfan said:

One question, is it even possible to sign Petey as a Centre for less than 9 mill nowadays?

Since Makar got 9 mill for 6 year 9 mill for Petey is close to team friendly. 

Petey came back down to earth, as did Hughes........neither is at the same level as Makar, not even close.  If the ridiculous season last year had one silver lining, it was that Petey and Hughes lowered their value in a contract year.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Petey came back down to earth, as did Hughes........neither is at the same level as Makar, not even close.  If the ridiculous season last year had one silver lining, it was that Petey and Hughes lowered their value in a contract year.

I don't feel you're the best to assess them....you haven't given them the credit they're due from day one.  Yet you were always on Jake's (and Loui's) team.

"Not even close"?   Sure, ok.

Also:  you do realize Petey was injured?  That kind of has to be factored in.  Just you wait.....

• Hydration 1
6 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I don't feel you're the best to assess them....you haven't given them the credit they're due from day one.  Yet you were always on Jake's (and Loui's) team.

"Not even close"?   Sure, ok.

Also:  you do realize Petey was injured?  That kind of has to be factored in.  Just you wait.....

Doesn't matter why they had a down season .........they had a down season at the best possible time for the team.  In a season that didn't mean anything and a season that was a joke from day one.  

And no, Petey and QH are not even close to Makar, who is already one of the top dmen in the league.

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

Doesn't matter why they had a down season .........they had a down season at the best possible time for the team.  In a season that didn't mean anything and a season that was a joke from day one.  

And no, Petey and QH are not even close to Makar, who is already one of the top dmen in the league.

I tend to agree with you stawns, although Pete is closer to Makar's value than Quinn.  I suspect they will both end up with bridge contracts, well below Makar's 9m.  Hopefully 6-6.5m Quinn and 7-7.5m Pete

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
1 hour ago, stawns said:

Sorry, but Petey plays in a completely different team.

Put Petey with Landeskog, MacKinnon et al and you would change opinion instantly. 

Put Makar in our D core and you would change opinion. 

It is extremely important who you play with.

Look at Schmidt at Vegas with compadres like Theodore and here... 

Vancouver is starting to look like a team.

I really like Bostons approach to moneymanagement, "sign here if you want to have a chance at the cup every year, sign elsewhere if you want the big money".

9x6 million for Makar is insane, he probably is the best young D in the league but playing with the best line in hockey...I`m pretty sure Heiskanen, Dahlin, Quinn and others would look equally good if they did that. Now the Avs will loose Grubauer or/and Landeskog most likely and become a worse team.

Toronto is the worst example, you would think winning a cup means more than money but that`s probably just me being naive.

Would you rather retire a three time champion like Hjalmarsson just did or is it the richest guy who is the winner? I sure would prefer seeing my name on the cup over a couple of more million in the bank.

Bridge deals for Quinn and Petey, sensible ones please.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

I like what you have created OP. But I don't understand how we pick up Mason Appleton from the Krackers?

A trade wasn't mentioned involving him/them.

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I have to agree.  They are both excellent players but had some bumps along the way last year that possibly will affect their upcoming contracts. 

For all of QH's abilities he still posted a staggering +/- Minus 24. which was sixth or seventh worse in the leagus out of over 900 defenseemen.   He still has to learn how to play that position reliably while getting his points.  So at this point he is still a work in progress and should be paid accordingly.  

As for EP40, he fell back this year after our oppenents got wise to him and shut him down more often than not and showed that while he is good, he is not McJesus.