The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Remaining Moves to Complete Roster for 21-22 Season

Rate this topic

nuckfanfromafrica

22 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Your post is probably tongue in cheek but I can’t see Chicago being enticed to do that.

Wouldn't be one for one - I look at sending Myers to Detroit (provided it's not on his small NTC list) as they were interested in him before.  Then with whatever Detroit would offer and what's left in our bare cupboard try to find a package that would entice Chicago.  But yeah...he's an assistant captain for them, perfect 2nd pairing RD so highly unlikely they trade him.  

He played with OEL in Arizona when OEL was actually good defensively.  We have no one to go against the other team's top lines...our defense is going to suck balls this year lol.  

Edited by highwayman3
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, highwayman3 said:

Wouldn't be one for one - I look at sending Myers to Detroit (provided it's not on his small NTC list) as they were interested in him before.  Then with whatever Detroit would offer and what's left in our bare cupboard try to find a package that would entice Chicago.  But yeah...he's an assistant captain for them, perfect 2nd pairing RD so highly unlikely they trade him.  

He played with OEL in Arizona when OEL was actually good defensively.  We have no one to go against the other team's top lines...our defense is going to suck balls this year lol.  

I know that you weren't referring to a one-for-one deal.   I like your thought process a lot here and completely agree with your reasoning.  I'm just not sure how practical it is.  Would love it if things went down like this however.  

• Cheers 1

Top 6 winger - Garland

3rd Line C - Dickinson

4th line C - Sutter

Calder Candidate - Podkolzin, Rathbone

Top pairing D - OEL

Big, Defensive RHD - Hamonic, Poolman, Schenn

All the boxes are checked now get the RFA's done.

EP 8 X 8

Hughes 2 X 6

Dickinson 3 X 2

OJ 1 X 1.5

Total 17.25

That uses up our Cap space but we still have the Ferland 3.5 for other moves throughout the year.

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2021 at 6:52 PM, nuckfanfromafrica said:

Benning has done a good job so far this offseason. Personally like the recent acquisitions of Ekman-Larson & Garland along with creating some cap flexibility.

imho the remaining items to address going into the season (not in a particular order) are:

1. add size and physicality on defense. Ideally right shots to complement our puck moving LHD

2. Resign Pettersson and Hughes to cap friendly deals to allow for some flexibility.

3. add size on the bottom forward group

4. Russian player to help Podkolzin acclimate to team/off ice (one that fits within our 22 - 26 core age group)

5. add a bottom forward center that is good at pk with character

The below moves allows us to address these aforementioned needs:

TRADES:

a.. Move Nate Schmidt & Jayce Hawryluk to Ana for Josh Mason & Alexander  Volkov. moves helps accomplish 1 & 4 on the list of to dos. 

b. Move Braden Holtby to Sea for Mason Appleton. Add a late draft pick (2023 3 or 4th) to facilitate trade. Sea gets a veteran to mentor young goalies. Van gains some cap flexibility.

RFA Signing:

a. resign Pettersson to a 5 - 7yr aav of approximately $7million

b. resign Q Hughes to a $6million aav for 5yrs

c. resign Juolevi to $950k - $1million aav for 2yrs

d. resign Conor Garland to a 2-3 yr on a $3.75million aav

e. resign Jason Dickinson to a $2.5miilion aav 2 - 3yr term

UFA Signing:

a. resign Travis Hamonic to a $2.5million aav for 2-3yrs.

b. resign Brandon Sutter at a $1million aav for 1-2yrs (good locker room presence and penalty killer)

c. sign Jani Hakanpaa to a 2yr $1million aav.

d. sign a Veteran goalie in Devan Dubnyk (could have a Stella season behind a D structure)

ROSTER SIZE SALARY CAP CAP HIT OVERAGES q2.svg BONUSES CAP SPACE
23 $81,500,000 $80,860,659 $648,780 $1,050,000

$639,341

Roll 4 productive lines (Each line features a playmaking scorer)

Line 1A:      J.T Miller - Elias Pettersson - Conor Garland

Conor Garland - Can score goals but is at his best when setting up linemates, mostly because of excellent vision and passing skills. Great complementary piece allowing us to move Boeser to another line. Strong along the walls (like Toffoli was with us), drives the net and good setup man from behind the net.

Line 1B:    Vasily Podkolzin - Bo Horvat - Brock Boeser

Vasily Podkolzin - playmaker to setup Boeser and has good one-one skills along with a power game.

Line 3A:    Tanner Pearson - Jason Dickinson - Nils Hoglander

Nil Hoglander - playmaker and glue guy. Pretty much our second line this past season with Dickinson replacing Horvat on the line.

Line 3B:    Tyler Motte - Brandon Sutter - Mason Appleton

Appleton - Owns excellent playmaking ability, but he can also score goals by himself. Tends to make his linemates better whenever he is on the ice

Extras: Alexander Volkov - Zack MacEwen

Defensive Pairs with a puck mover and size on each

PAIR 1: Quinn Hughes - Josh Manson (Myers can sub in for offensive starts)

PAIR 2; Oliver Ekman-Larsson - Travis Hamonic (Match up pair)

PAIR 3: Olli Juolevi - Tyler Myers

Extra: Jani Hakanpaa (start Rathbone in the minors. First call up to replace a LHD puck mover)

Goalies: Thatcher Demko & Devan Dubnyk

Power Play 1

Boeser, B.
Miller, J.
Pettersson, E.

Hughes, Q.
Ekman-Larsson, O.

Power Play 2

Garland, C.
Horvat, B.
Podkolzin, V.

Höglander, N.
Myers, T.

Penalty Kill 1

Sutter, B.
Motte, T.

Ekman-Larsson, O.
Manson, J.

Penalty Kill 2

Dickinson, J.
Pearson, T.

Juolevi, O.
Hamonic, T.

this aint EA Sports my friend  good presentation though

23 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I know that you weren't referring to a one-for-one deal.   I like your thought process a lot here and completely agree with your reasoning.  I'm just not sure how practical it is.  Would love it if things went down like this however.  

It's probably not realistic.  But OEL is not a top pairing d at this point in his career and the Canucks made a risky trade in acquiring him.  Getting Murphy would mitigate that risk and at least give us one player capable of defending against other teams top lines.  Demko will be facing a shooting gallery all season imo.  

• Upvote 1

I really REALLY want to be sold on our defense, but I'm just not unfortunately.   :-/

-Is Poolman anything more than a 6th dman?

-Are Hamonic and Myers anything more than a 4th dman on a 2nd pairing at best?

-I love the fact that we have Juolevi and Schenn as our depth guys just incase of injuries.   

-I absolutely LOVE our forward group, goaltending, and offensive prowess from our left side D, but that right side D is concerning to me unless I'm missing something that you guys are seeing.   

The good news however is that both Petey and Quinn might be able to be signed to longer term deals.

• Upvote 1

Just now, highwayman3 said:

It's probably not realistic.  But OEL is not a top pairing d at this point in his career and the Canucks made a risky trade in acquiring him.  Getting Murphy would mitigate that risk and at least give us one player capable of defending against other teams top lines.  Demko will be facing a shooting gallery all season imo.  

I share your fears and concerns.  Lots of question marks on defense from where I sit unless I'm not seeing something.

34 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I really REALLY want to be sold on our defense, but I'm just not unfortunately.   :-/

-Is Poolman anything more than a 6th dman?

-Are Hamonic and Myers anything more than a 4th dman on a 2nd pairing at best?

-I love the fact that we have Juolevi and Schenn as our depth guys just incase of injuries.   

-I absolutely LOVE our forward group, goaltending, and offensive prowess from our left side D, but that right side D is concerning to me unless I'm missing something that you guys are seeing.   

The good news however is that both Petey and Quinn might be able to be signed to longer term deals.

I don’t agree with a lot of what you post but I agree with this. 
the top 9 looks fantastic but I can’t make the d coalesce in my head. 

9 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I don’t agree with a lot of what you post but I agree with this. 
the top 9 looks fantastic but I can’t make the d coalesce in my head. 

20 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Just after the free agent frenzy, JB has 16.3M to sign Hughes, Pettersson, Juolevi and Dickinson.

Assuming Pettersson signs for 7M, Hughes for 5.5M, Juolevi and Dickinson for 2M that should get us up to scratch, no more moves necessary.

I think it’s actually closer to 20 million taking Ferland’s LTIR into account.

26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks are better, but that 4th line is still pretty average.

Highmore - Sutter - Motte

My hope is that MacEwen can take a jump in his play and challenge Sutter for that 12th spot.  I still see some untapped potential there for MacEwen.   If MacEwen beats out Sutter, then either he or Highmore can move to center.