The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Boston has offer on the table for Canucks backup Braden Holtby

Holtby with $1 million retained for a 2022 3rd round pick.  We get one of our picks back for next year and we can sign a new backup for $2 million.  So we free up $1.3 million in cap space and get a 3rd round pick out of the deal.

James Reimer, Petr Mrazek, Laurent Brossoit and Jaroslav Halak are the 4 guys I would target in free agency...

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

We'll be nice and throw in Schmidt into the deal and only get DeBrusk and a 3rd rounder!! 

I don't think Nate will be traded, I don't  think he was ever being shopped.

We already need a top 4\5 RHD and unless we move Nate for one finding an upgrade on him via UFA isn't really an option with what's out there.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

9 hours ago, brian42 said:

Must want the Canucks to retain some salary otherwise it would already be a done deal. Hope the Canucks can get it done without retaining salary because they will still need to sign another goalie. 

Us retaining salary would defete the entire purpose of getting rid of him.. exactly 

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Holtby with $1 million retained for a 2022 3rd round pick.  We get one of our picks back for next year and we can sign a new backup for $2 million.  So we free up $1.3 million in cap space and get a 3rd round pick out of the deal.

James Reimer, Petr Mrazek, Laurent Brossoit and Jaroslav Halak are the 4 guys I would target in free agency...

I’d have a look a north Van native, Martin Jones if he’s officially bought out.  He’s had tough seasons…. But SJ has also been a fire drill in their own end. 

7 hours ago, TmanVan said:

Man if people think Holtby got hung out to dry most nights, and it was all by the Canucks shotty defence and not his fault, and we give him a pass for his .889 save percentage then what does that say about Demko with his .915 save percentage. Surely he would of had a .950 save percentage on any other team with a half decent defence and be up for the vezina ?!

Sarcasm aside, I’m sure Demko would have amazing numbers in front of a better D Corp with competent Defensive coaching, which hopefully we will have this season. 

Demko is a very talented young goaltender, capable of putting a team on his back and stealing us games even when hung out to dry. Just like Markstrom did for us. 

Holtby has aged past being able to do that for teams, but is still a very capable backup goaltender that would perform a lot better than he showed here if he was behind a decent defence. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Sarcasm aside, I’m sure Demko would have amazing numbers in front of a better D Corp with competent Defensive coaching, which hopefully we will have this season. 

Demko is a very talented young goaltender, capable of putting a team on his back and stealing us games even when hung out to dry. Just like Markstrom did for us. 

Holtby has aged past being able to do that for teams, but is still a very capable backup goaltender that would perform a lot better than he showed here if he was behind a decent defence. 

That’s the thing though.  A rookie starter, Demko, put up a VERY respectable save percentage this past season.  He had all the pressures of being the starter.  The other guy, with the same team in front of him, didn’t.  Some it has to do with an ex-starting goalie having to deal with a backup goalie role (not all guys can adjust to that change in role as some want the action).  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

46 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Thus the new label. Demkoed. It's perfect. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, coryberg said:

Eternal said...

My guess is BOS wants the Canucks to retain the max possible and might want a sweetener (can't see the Canucks wanting to take bad money back).

That would be us paying 2.15 in cap and adding a sweetener.

I suggested a buyout would be better than that. If however we did retain 50% we would in fact be the ones receiving the sweetener.

Just for clarity, I wasn't suggesting that the Canucks retain 50% and add a sweetener.  My point was that BOS probably wants that.  It would explain a hold up in negotiations.  If BOS was fine with VAN only retaining $1M then I think there could be more traction.

I agree with you that a buyout may be preferable to a deal at 50% retention and a sweetener if it's the only deal BOS would accept.

At any rate we'll see soon enough if Holtby is placed on waivers today.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Just for clarity, I wasn't suggesting that the Canucks retain 50% and add a sweetener.  My point was that BOS probably wants that.  It would explain a hold up in negotiations.  If BOS was fine with VAN only retaining $1M then I think there could be more traction.

I agree with you that a buyout may be preferable to a deal at 50% retention and a sweetener if it's the only deal BOS would accept.

At any rate we'll see soon enough if Holtby is placed on waivers today.

Boston is a playoff team.  They aren’t going to want to tie up 4+ million in cap space unless there is major salary retention or plan on using him as a starting goalie.

1 hour ago, AriGold said:

I could see something involving Jake DeBrusk..

Yup.  If Holts goes to the Bees it’s for Debrusk.  I don’t know if we should do that though.  Debrusk hast been good for a while. He’s a lot like where Bear was after his concussions.  

• Cheers 1

I just had a look at the Twitter feed of the source referenced in the op. Nowhere does he say anything about Holtby.  Add to that the fact that no other insider has mentioned this.  I’d say this report is a load of crap 

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

This is very true, we were terrible in our own end last year.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I just had a look at the Twitter feed of the source referenced in the op. Nowhere does he say anything about Holtby.  Add to that the fact that no other insider has mentioned this.  I’d say this report is a load of crap 

Maybe he heard it on tv or radio?

Just now, babalu said:

Maybe he heard it on tv or radio?

People misconstrue what they hear on the radio all the time.   If they actually had an offer on the table you’d think there would be other reports.  So a third party report of what they heard in the radio. That’s the new bar for a reliable source?