The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Boston has offer on the table for Canucks backup Braden Holtby

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't see Benning rushing this through tomorrow. There's more pressure on teams to trade for him if we wait and some goalies come off the board. 

Just relaying the fact that they can still do it if they choose.  Whether they do or not is another story, but the option is still there until tomorrow 

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Would they still pursue a backup goalie in free agency if he is still on the roster.   Teams could also just wait for the Canucks to buy him out in that 2nd window and sign him as a UFA. 

but maybe we dont. I think there's more pressure on Boston, e.g. to get their roster set and get a good partner for Swayman. I can't see them standing pat and waiting until August to figure out their situation in goal. Boston is looking for a tandem, we're looking for a backup which we can get for under 1.5 mil and bury most of that if we need to. 

10 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I think it’s more about the march of time for Holtby. Not the goalie he was in his prime and can no longer put a team on his back in those conditions. Time comes for us all. 

Except for Chuck Norris.  He should've died a few years ago but the Grim Reaper is too afraid to tell him.:P

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I think it’s more about the march of time for Holtby. Not the goalie he was in his prime and can no longer put a team on his back in those conditions. Time comes for us all. 

Yep.

Father time gets everybody.  Can't do things that I used to do in the past.  Can't do my max press that I did in my 20s.  Lost that 2nd gear to blow by a defender.  Reflexes a bit slower.

:(

• Hydration 1

22 minutes ago, BPA said:

Yep.

Father time gets everybody.  Can't do things that I used to do in the past.  Can't do my max press that I did in my 20s.  Lost that 2nd gear to blow by a defender.  Reflexes a bit slower.

:(

Man am I glad you put the words "by a" in there :bigblush:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Interesting, good for management. Hold on and see if someone waivers, but have a buyout ready to go if not. Don't wanna be giving up picks or prospects. 

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Friedman earning his Leafsnet paycheque - being a typical Toronto hack.

Why the f would we 'give something up'?

You're leaking again, Elliot.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

because $4.3m cap/$5.7m cash is a lot of quiche for a backup.

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Again, Demko, a rookie with all the pressures of being the starter, looked far more than respectable this past season.  The other guy?  Not remotely as much.   At least that's how it looked to me.  Others might see it differently.

Demko wasn't a rookie, just to clarify. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Yes he was 

He's been playing in the league since 2017-2018. It might have been his first full year as a split starter - but that's not a rookie. 

image.thumb.png.f9cbde0ad09e3798b6304b4fea1c1f8f.png

Edited by CJ44

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Other teams probably thinking Canucks are still in a cap crunch and willing to part with a draft pick for no retention on Holtby 

If that is the case, I'd rather just keep Holtby for one more year.  He'd provide a solid backup to Demko.

1 minute ago, CJ44 said:

When, last year?  He's been playing in the league since 2017-2018. It might have been his first full year as a split starter - but that's not a rookie. 

image.thumb.png.f9cbde0ad09e3798b6304b4fea1c1f8f.png

Yes 2019-2020 he was a rookie.

Sophmore 2021

Check my edit 

• b3. locked this topic