The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Boston has offer on the table for Canucks backup Braden Holtby

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Shaw is there to tell Baumer all his ideas are stupid. Shaw can teach Baumer how to actually be a good coach. Well, that's the hope anyway.

If Shaw is there to “oversee” Baumer. Speaks to me that Green doesn’t completely trust in Baumer but is too loyal to let him go. 

Just now, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

That's actually Ryan Callahan. He retired because of this.

Haha is it? Thanks man, I was really hoping it was Kucherov. I traded him away too early in my fantasy hockey keeper league and he’s punished me for it for years. 

• RoughGame 1

If the Canucks retained $1M, then I think they could stomach it.  Depending on the return, it would clear $3M which would be useful for signing a UFA goalie and isn't a crazy cap hit for BOS especially at one year.  My guess is BOS wants the Canucks to retain the max possible and might want a sweetener (can't see the Canucks wanting to take bad money back).

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

If the Canucks retained $1M, then I think they could stomach it.  Depending on the return, it would clear $3M which would be useful for signing a UFA goalie and isn't a crazy cap hit for BOS especially at one year.  My guess is BOS wants the Canucks to retain the max possible and might want a sweetener (can't see the Canucks wanting to take bad money back).

That doesn't make sense. Canucks could save more cap just buying him out. Holtby at 50% would mean a 2nd round pick coming back our way

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, coryberg said:

That doesn't make sense. Canucks could save more cap just buying him out. Holtby at 50% would mean a 2nd round pick coming back our way

Plus they'd also need to pay a replacement.  IMO, keep holtby if Mikey isnt there yet.  If they're intent on moving him, they better be waiting until they actually sign a replacement

15 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Huh? The buyout would be over 2 years. The second year would cost 1.9 million against the cap if we bought Holtby out. I'd rather just retain 1 mill next year as eternal suggested

4 hours ago, babalu said:

That would be ideal

Would it really?  Based on what I know of him, he’s another offensive defenseman that struggles a bit in his own end.  The Canucks need a top pairing RD that specializes on the defensive side of things.  Like a younger version of Tanev for instance. 

16 minutes ago, TmanVan said:

Huh? The buyout would be over 2 years. The second year would cost 1.9 million against the cap if we bought Holtby out. I'd rather just retain 1 mill next year as eternal suggested

Eternal said...

My guess is BOS wants the Canucks to retain the max possible and might want a sweetener (can't see the Canucks wanting to take bad money back).

That would be us paying 2.15 in cap and adding a sweetener.

I suggested a buyout would be better than that. If however we did retain 50% we would in fact be the ones receiving the sweetener.

28 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Eternal said...

My guess is BOS wants the Canucks to retain the max possible and might want a sweetener (can't see the Canucks wanting to take bad money back).

That would be us paying 2.15 in cap and adding a sweetener.

I suggested a buyout would be better than that. If however we did retain 50% we would in fact be the ones receiving the sweetener.

Holtby’s cap hit is $4.3m this year so if we retained 50% we’d be saving $2.15m.  Buying him out saves us $3.8 this year but costs us $1.9 next year. As you said no way we retain 50% without a sweetener. If we’re not going with Mikey D as the backup we have to find one on the open market which is going to cost anywhere from $1 to $2.5m. Retaining much gets uneconomical fast without getting something back that fills a need.

I don’t see JB moving on Holtby unless it’s straight up without retaining any money. If in fact Schmidt is a guy the can move easily, that should be enough to have the room they need.

Move Holtby closer to the deadline if there is nothing that fits now. Or maybe keep him all together if we are in a playoff spot at the deadline.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Would it really?  Based on what I know of him, he’s another offensive defenseman that struggles a bit in his own end.  The Canucks need a top pairing RD that specializes on the defensive side of things.  Like a younger version of Tanev for instance. 

We are not getting a top pairing D for Holtby.

Dreaming....maybe we can trade Holtby at 50% retained for Debrusk.

Then trade Debrusk + Schmidt to ANA for Manson + Volkov (Russian pal for Podz).

Then trade Silovs for Stalock (EDM need a goalie prospect, Stalock is a decent cheap backup).

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Garland

Podkolzin Miller Volkov

Highmore Dickinson Motte

(MacEwen)

Hughes Manson

OEL Hamonic

Juolevi Myers

(Rathbone)

Demko (Stalock)

18 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Dreaming....maybe we can trade Holtby at 50% retained for Debrusk.

Then trade Debrusk + Schmidt to ANA for Manson + Volkov (Russian pal for Podz).

Then trade Silovs for Stalock (EDM need a goalie prospect, Stalock is a decent cheap backup).

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Garland

Podkolzin Miller Volkov

Highmore Dickinson Motte

(MacEwen)

Hughes Manson

OEL Hamonic

Juolevi Myers

(Rathbone)

Demko (Stalock)

And Then GIF by hero0fwar

• Haha 1