The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks extend qualifying offers to 7 players

8 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hawryluk was average at best, it's a sign we're getting deeper by not resigning him.

I couldn't even figure out why he was still playing after the mid point of the season

way over hyped in my eyes

did nothing to warrant a QO

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

No surprised there. 

Hawryluk played with good energy - but not so much composition - looked out of sorts the majority of the time - and let his frustration with not finishing show in his body language.  That's ok within reason - but it's more important to stay consistently focused/engaged.

Anyhow - I don't see him outcompeting his way into a group like Motte, Dickinson, Podkolzin, Highmore, MacEwen, Gadjovich, Lockwood, Jasek - particularly when another guy like Pearson is likely to be moving down a line as well...

picking nits, but jasek is gone isn't he?

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jasek?  We must still think he has value, even though he left to Europe.  

4 minutes ago, tas said:

One year contract in Europe. Likely even has an NHL out clause (though I think he needs another year anyway).

This let's us retain his rights if we want him back next year.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, tas said:

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has extended qualifying offers to the following seven players to retain their negotiating rights.

• Guillaume Brisebois
  • Jason Dickinson
  • Conor Garland
  • Quinn Hughes
  • Lukas Jasek
  • Olli Juolevi
  • Elias Pettersson

32 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Can Garland reject his QO?  And if so what's happens next?  

All I could find on him is this and I'm not sure about the accuracy:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fiveforhowling.com/platform/amp/2021/1/26/22243483/what-will-conor-garlands-next-arizona-coyotes-contract-look-like

His qualifying offer would be $840,000. Safe to say he isn't taking that

11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So where the people freaking we let Palmu walk? 

Being a little vertically challenged myself (same height as PP) I had some hopes he could perhaps make it to the AHL.  Alas, my hopes are dashed :( 

• Cheers 1

This is how the process works.

QUALIFYING OFFER CALCULATOR

• Teams must extend a qualifying offer to a restricted free agent to retain negotiation rights.
    • A qualifying offer is an official Standard Player Contract (SPC) offer which shall be 1 year in length, and which can be subject to salary arbitration should the player be eligible.
    • Clubs have until the later of June 25th or the first Monday after the Entry Draft to submit Qualifying Offers.
    • Qualifying Offers apply to Group 2 and Group 4 free agents.
    • Submitting a Qualifying Offers gives the prior club the right of first refusal to match any offer sheet submitted, or receive draft pick compensation.
    • If the player rejects the qualifying offer, they remain an RFA and their rights are retained by the team.
    • If a player does not receive a qualifying offer, the player becomes a UFA.
  • The qualifying offer is calculated from the players base salary (NHL salary minus signing bonus), and at minimum must meet the seasons minimum salary requirements:
    • 110% of the base salary if the base salary is less than or equal to $660,000
    • 105% of the base salary if the base salary is greater than $660,000 or less than $1,000,000. However, this qualifying offer cannot exceed $1,000,000.
    • 100% of the base salary if the base salary is equal to or greater than $1,000,000.
    • CBA Reference 10.2 (a) (ii)
  • For players who are on expiring contracts that were signed after July 10, 2020:
    • The Qualifying Offer is limited to 120% of their previous contracts annual average (AAV)
    • Reference: 2020 NHL CBA extension Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)
  • The qualifying offer must be a One-Way offer if the following three requirements are met (A goaltender is considered to have played a game if they are on the bench as a backup for this scenario):
    1. In the previous three seasons, the player played in:
      • 180 NHL games (or as pro-rated in the table below)
    2. In the previous season, the player played in:
      • 60 NHL game (or as pro-rated in the table below)
    3. The player did not clear waivers in the previous season.

https://www.capfriendly.com/qualifying-offer-calculator

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Being a little vertically challenged myself (same height as PP) I had some hopes he could perhaps make it to the AHL.  Alas, my hopes are dashed :( 

I'm 5'9" so I push for the little guys. There's always Hoagy to root for. :)

• Cheers 1