The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) CBJ receiving calls on Zach Werenski

CBJ GM is on fire right now, they took draft weekend and made it its bizzle.  I wouldn't even take calls from that man right now if I am another GM.

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Sir. Columbus would make out like bandits if this was put forward by us to acquire ZW.

we're just so emotional at how generous you are - Dawson Crying | Meme  Generator

The leading goal scoring Dman in the league that’s 25 years old? No, no they wouldn’t we would probably get declined. 

59 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So Eriksson and Virtanen are gone so Hughes is the new whipping boy?

Why are people all of a sudden throwing him in trade proposals before we even know what his contract looks like?

Because people are already penciling him in for a deal with the Devils (because, family matters).  :picard:

I'd like to think that QH is a bit more professional than that.  The Staal brothers never got to play on the same NHL team (though they got close).  Even Emil Pettersson knows better than to come to Vancouver seeking a roster spot.

I don't doubt that there may come a time when trade talks may arise to move QH, but I don't think it'll be in the near future.  Reason being - any deal that I foresee Jim Benning making with NJD before QH hits UFA would involve at least the same compensation as if QH was signed to an offer sheet at the $8.75mil range.  In fact, if I were Jim Benning, my starting point/minimum acceptable compensation would be three unprotected first round draft picks (NJD's own).  Those aren't really good starting points for meaningful negotiations.  :lol:

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother
31 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

The leading goal scoring Dman in the league that’s 25 years old? No, no they wouldn’t we would probably get declined. 

Is that over the past 5 years? He only had 7 goals last year

1 minute ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Is that over the past 5 years? He only had 7 goals last year

I’m pretty sure it was the year before he had 20+ goal season. Also was an anchor for Columbus with Seth Jones as a pairing. He has a ton of Value league wide and if Nate Schmidt was a center piece who already wants out you go hard for him. 

• Hydration 1
37 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

I’m pretty sure it was the year before he had 20+ goal season. Also was an anchor for Columbus with Seth Jones as a pairing. He has a ton of Value league wide and if Nate Schmidt was a center piece who already wants out you go hard for him. 

If Schmidt is the centrepiece of a Werenski deal. What are the other moving parts? I’m scared to deal with their GM. He’s killing it this off-season.  

I would love Weresnki in Canuck colors. But he’s going to cost way too much. What is Columbus going to be asking for and depending on who they’re asking for does that actually make us better or not. Would you give the Jackets the 2022 first round pick? 

our first pick won’t be until the third round assuming we have that one still. 

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

If Schmidt is the centrepiece of a Werenski deal. What are the other moving parts? I’m scared to deal with their GM. He’s killing it this off-season.  

Problem is Schmidt would likely negate a trade to CBJ. That’s why I didn’t include him in what I’d propose but if he ok’d it I’d be allll over it if I was JB

23 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Problem is Schmidt would likely negate a trade to CBJ. That’s why I didn’t include him in what I’d propose but if he ok’d it I’d be allll over it if I was JB

Why would Schmidt negate a trade to Columbus? They still got an off season to put together a decent team that’ll compete. 

13 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Why would Schmidt negate a trade to Columbus? They still got an off season to put together a decent team that’ll compete. 

CBJ roster has been crazy and turbulent the last couple years. I can’t see any player wanting to go there specifically right now until things settle down. With Torts gone it’ll improve things but I just don’t see CBJ boasting a really good team for a couple years still, and that is Laine even decides to stay.

2 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

Quinn Hughes has already produced more points in a single season than Werenski and despite his age, sending them Schmidt, Podkolzin and either Juolevi/Rathbone is overpayment. Playing with a partner like Seth Jones allowed him to play to his strengths. If he stays in CLB, it will be interesting to see who plays with him and how his overall game fares (likely still produce feeding Laine one timers on the PP). I like the player but sending them 3 solid assests like you suggested is out of the question and hurts our team depth. You lost me at Podkolzin. This player is going to be a foundational piece to grow with our young core.

Edited by KirkSave
1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Podkolzin would be one I imagine. Rathbone or Juolevi?

11 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Quinn Hughes has already produced more points in a single season than Werenski and despite his age, sending them Schmidt, Podkolzin and either Juolevi/Rathbone is overpayment. Playing with a partner like Seth Jones allowed him to play to his strengths. If he stays in CLB, it will be interesting to see who plays with him and how his overall game fares (likely still produce feeding Laine one timers on the PP). I like the player but sending them 3 solid assests like you suggested is out of the question and hurts our team depth. You lost me at Podkolzin. This player is going to be a foundational piece to grow with our young core.

I don’t disagree but it looks like we are going all in right now. We need to capitalize on the bridge contracts EP and Hughes are about to sign. Miller is on a great contract and Garland seems to be as cheap as he will come also. Demko could even get a raise on his 5 million after his contract expires.
We need to go all in and start the prospect pool from scratch after this year or next. 

• Hydration 1
2 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

I don’t disagree but it looks like we are going all in right now. We need to capitalize on the bridge contracts EP and Hughes are about to sign. Miller is on a great contract and Garland seems to be as cheap as he will come also. Demko could even get a raise on his 5 million after his contract expires.
We need to go all in and start the prospect pool from scratch after this year or next. 

I'm curious to see what Petey and Hughes sign for this summer and how much term it takes. I think they both end up with bridge deals at a lower cap hit to help us stay competitive so we can renew deals for Bo, Boeser and Miller in the next few years. At least, that is what I am hoping for (TB model of lesser cap hits to spread the wealth, as opposed to TO, which is just so top heavy with their 4 star forwards).

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

CBJ roster has been crazy and turbulent the last couple years. I can’t see any player wanting to go there specifically right now until things settle down. With Torts gone it’ll improve things but I just don’t see CBJ boasting a really good team for a couple years still, and that is Laine even decides to stay.

Further evidence that it’s not a destination. This coming from longtime CBJ Cam Atkinson:

image.png.fa72da1e1a597920acdd38c759bf6c89.png

4 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

I’d do Hughes for him as well to be honest. They would probably add as well. 
I’d also offer Schmidt, Podkolzin and Juolevi/Rathbone. They will need Dmen and also hit a cap floor. 

Adding Podz is an overpayment.

Id give them Rath and Schmidt 

44 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Hughes doesnt defend though and likely will never be able to.

4 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Hughes doesnt defend though and likely will never be able to.

What a ridiculous statement to be saying about a player who has played two seasons.

Yes he was bad last season but so was our entire D core. We had veterans struggling yet we expect a sophomore player to excel.

Fans in this market need to realize how lucky we are to have an elite player like him and shut up with the damn trade proposals.

• Hydration 2
44 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

Podkolzin would be one I imagine. Rathbone or Juolevi?

So losing Schmidt and Podkolzin? Does that make us better? 

15 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Further evidence that it’s not a destination. This coming from longtime CBJ Cam Atkinson:

image.png.fa72da1e1a597920acdd38c759bf6c89.png

Can’t imagine what McDavid is thinking in Edmonton 

• Hydration 1