The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Luke Schenn returning to Vancouver

AV.

3 hours ago, FlyLow_ said:

Rather 1 year, 750k but it is what it is. He's not a top 6 defender so there better be more moves coming.

He is a massive upgrade on Chatfield so it's a win already.

I know he is mostly depth and it was a small sample size but him and Quinn seemed to have chemistry, I assume OEL-Nate will be the pairing doing the heavy lifting and anyone paired with Quinn just needs to cover Quinn when he pinches so I guess the question would be can Luke physically handle 20 minutes a night? Normally I would say no but with Quinn as your partner how often would Luke be the one pushing the play and exerting himself? They could also rotate other guys with Quinn to keep Lukes minutes down.

I do wonder if OEL gets a shot with Quinn? He's played on the right side internationally and during his presser he said he would do what he can on the ice to help Quinns game.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Hmmm

Hughes-Hamonic

OEL-Myers

Rathbone-Schenn

Not too shabby with a couple veteran placeholders until we can improve the defence.  Schmidt goes out for picks and/or a bottom

6 centre.

O god no please...
Hamonic wasnt great with Hughes
Myers would be a disaster with OEL

OEL-Schmidt 
Hughes-Savard
Juolevi-Myers
Schenn

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Schenn would be a good vet and feel like he fits in with the group well.  If he is paid to play third line mins and occasionally moves up the lineup this is a major win.

Does anybody know how Schenn went from top 4 D to depth D?  Was it just the speed of the game since his days in TO?

10 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

And this excites you.........why?

Dont get me wrong, I don’t mind Schenn being here as a 7th dman, but “being excited” over the idea of Schenn being Hughes 2nd pairing defense partner shouldn’t excite anyone at all.  In fact, it’s downright moronic....with all due respect.

Because they've played together before and have the chemistry. If we get a better dman partner for Hughes then I'm all for it. But we still need to sign Schenn

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If Hamonic re-signs with Vancouver and Schmidt stays, would Schenn be comfortable with being a depth defenseman? I would hope that Juolevi and Rathbone still get their ice time. 

I think Schmidt is as good as gone unfortunately as I believe that he wants to go back to the USA.  

I could *possibly* get on board with the following defense:

OEL-Savard

Hughes-Hakanpaa

Juolevi-Myers

Schenn

but still have a fear that we still won’t truly have a guy that can shut down the top forward of another team.  I’m just not sure if OEL can still be that guy, and I’m not sure if those RD’s listed above can do that at the first pairing level.  I have absolutely no doubt that those guys can shut down and contain 2nd and 3rd line caliber forwards, but 1st line forwards are a different animal.

22 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I’m not seeing it to be honest.

OEL-Hakanpaa

Hughes-Schenn

Rathbone-Myers / Juolevi-Myers

Is not a very good defense.  Benning better have something better up his sleeve.  Hakanpaa might be a decent 2nd pairing option, and Schenn might be a decent 7th man option, but asking anything for more out of them would be nuts.

If you're expecting Benning to acquire Erik Cernak or Colton Parayko on Wednesday you are going to be disappointed.  There is nothing wrong with that defence.  It's gonna be a tough D to play against.  Hakanpaa can move up and down the lineup.  So can Schenn.  OEL is gonna make a big difference to our D.  He's an all situations guy and is an upgrade on Edler.  Hakanpaa plays a bigger meaner game than Hamonic.  And so does Schenn.  And Rathbone and Juolevi are going to surprise.  

The defence won't be perfect but it will do its job in supporting our newly revamped top 9.  And with Demko as the legit starter for the first time expect his game to go to another level.  Like Vezina trophy level.

18 minutes ago, sarjakd said:

Because they've played together before and have the chemistry. If we get a better dman partner for Hughes then I'm all for it. But we still need to sign Schenn

No problem on my end in signing Schenn as long as he’s signed as a depth defenseman that can step in when injuries occur.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If you're expecting Benning to acquire Erik Cernak or Colton Parayko on Wednesday you are going to be disappointed.  There is nothing wrong with that defence.  It's gonna be a tough D to play against.  Hakanpaa can move up and down the lineup.  So can Schenn.  OEL is gonna make a big difference to our D.  He's an all situations guy and is an upgrade on Edler.  Hakanpaa plays a bigger meaner game than Hamonic.  And so does Schenn.  And Rathbone and Juolevi are going to surprise.  

The defence won't be perfect but it will do its job in supporting our newly revamped top 9.  And with Demko as the legit starter for the first time expect his game to go to another level.  Like Vezina trophy level.

Of course I’m not expecting a Cernak or a Parayko but that right side looks weak.  Schenn is a 7th caliber dman that can fill in adequately when injuries occur, but expecting him to be a 2nd pairing guy is asking for trouble imo.  I disagree that Schenn can move up and down the line-up unless it’s for short stints due to injuries.  Troy Stecher could also play up and down the line up but asking him to be top 4 for extended periods of time was asking for trouble.......

and in our case, especially if OEL there.

I would love to be proven wrong but I’m not sure if OEL is a two way “all situations” guy like Edler.  To me, he’s more of an OFD/PMD that really needs a strong and solid defensive partner that is good enough to handle top lines.  I understand that OEL was a two way guy earlier in his career but that was over four years ago. I’m not 100% sure if he can still be that guy.

I agree with you on Demko’s potential, but that D will need to be a lot more defensive savvy in order to support Demko’s ascension to the next level.

Having Savard AND Hakanpaa here would sell me on the defense, but Schenn and/or Myers on a top four and you’re asking for trouble imo.

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

O god no please...

OEL-Schmidt 
Hughes-Savard
Juolevi-Myers
Schenn

Finally, a common sense post.  I like your thought here a lot but Schmidt wants to leave unfortunately.  

Replace Schmidt with Hakanpaa and I’m all for it.

OEL-Hakanpaa

Hughes-Savard

Juolevi-Myers

Schenn

= solid even if I’m being unrealistic.

OEL-Hamonic

Hughes-Schenn

Juolevi-Myers

= possibly asking for trouble

Edited by Patel Bure

The cap space we have to sign a decent RHD and 4C will be minimal unless we move Schmidt and/or Holtby.

Whether we move none, one or both of them will depend on the return and cost.

Assuming we sign a cheap 4C and we move neither, then we can ice a D like this:

OEL Schmidt

Hughes Schenn

Juolevi Myers

(Rathbone)

If Holtby is moved and a cheap backup signed, then we can afford to ice a D like this:

OEL Schmidt

Hughes Hamonic

Juolevi Myers

(Schenn)

If we move Schmidt and keep Holtby, then we can likely ice a D like this:

OEL Hamonic

Hughes Savard

Juolevi Myers

(Rathbone Schenn)

If we move both Schmidt and Hotlby and sign a cheap backup, we could do something like this:

OEL Hamonic

Hughes Savard

McCabe Myers

(Juolevi Schenn)

31 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

O god no please...

OEL-Schmidt 
Hughes-Savard
Juolevi-Myers
Schenn

Oh, we are playing magic imaginary rosters where salary caps don’t matter! …. Can I take my turn?!!

Hedman-Makar

Hughes-Willie Mitchell from 2008

OEL-Jesus

• Haha 2

Some here overrate Schenn but he's a great 7th guy.

Yeah he played 38 games but averaged 10:45  game and 9:14 in 8 playoff games. He was pretty much used to give everyone else a quick break, provide energy and physicality in short shifts and barely played the PK at all(19 sec of PK time per game). TBL pretty much ran with 5 defenseman for the most part in the games Schenn played.

Schenn was there 7th defenseman in TOI per game for defenseman who played over 30 games with the Lightning. 8th when you take in account the trade deadline acquisition of Savard who played almost double the amount as Schenn when he was acquired during the season.

That said he'd be a great 7th guy like I said. He brings the qualities we want and could get more of an extended role, especially much more than the Lightning when injuries hit, but nobody should really see him as anything more than a 7th D based off of his play/deployment with the Lightning. They used him as their 7th/8th guy and they didn't rely on him in games(or need to) as much as people may think.

• Upvote 1