The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Luke Schenn returning to Vancouver

AV.

7 hours ago, stawns said:

I do believe some deeper stats help paint a picture, especially ones like toi or zone starts etc, but for the most parts they are useless metrics developed by people who never played a team sport in their lives

Context is everything. Most 'advanced' stats fail to take context properly into account; the best they can do is "fuzz them" based on averages and such from other plays/players/situations, etc. They're baseball stats and ultimately fail upon situational awareness: The puck was not in this exact spot, the defenceman was not in that exact spot, the temperature of the ice was not exactly the same, the players' tiredness, roster makeup, defensive strategy are all not "the same" as any other time.

Which is why analytics are a component of a tool, and should be regarded as nothing more.

And anybody who still uses Corsi at all at this point should probably retire.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Vanuckles said:

I've been following Rathbone for much longer :) 

My prediction is that Rathbone will have a stronger showing come training camp, but Juolevi might get the spot due to his pedigree of being a 5th overall pick and the club wants him to do well. Which I wouldn't blame them since that's modus operandi around the league. But when Rathbone inevitably draws into the lineup, he's going to make it tough for the coaching staff to take him out.

I doubt they'd risk losing oj by putting him on waivers

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Provost said:

Signing bottom of the roster veterans for cheap short term contracts is good…

… signing them for long term expensive deals is bad.

Sutter can be good as a 4C at under $2 million.

Yes but I feel like it's going back (and remembering) to something that didn't work. 

9 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

Welcome back. This is happening tomorrow. $800,000 2 years. Great signing for the team

Was always banging the drum on this move, finally! I hope it comes into fruition, Schenn was fantastic the handful of games he was here. He basically did more in those games than Gudbranson ever did during his tenure

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

No one knows at this point. With the signing of Poolman, it's not looking that good though. 

Don’t think the Poolman signing affects that.

Schenn was always going to be a 7/8 guy.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

No one knows at this point. With the signing of Poolman, it's not looking that good though. 

In an ideal world Poolman is the 3rd pairing RD and Schenn is the 4th for injuries, different looks etc.  Okay, maybe not ideal world, but in our actual world.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NHL'er said:

Is this still a thing?

I doubt it.  The current signings appear to provide the Canucks (both Vancouver and Abby) with a full compliment of RHD.  Barring any trades, signing Schenn would start pushing some RHD to the left side or to the ECHL.

I liked the idea of Schenn joining the group as a 7/8 veteran RHD, especially based on in his past history.  I don't mind the reported RHD signings so far, just a bit surprised they didn't go with a veteran.  Very curious how they fill out the roster this season.  It looks to me like they'll run the usual 23-man roster and keep 2 Dmen in reserve (and 1 forward).  With the current buildout, they have enough cap (including LTIR from Ferland) to spend about $16M on Pettersson and Hughes (if it comes to that) while also re-signing Dickinson at around $2.75M-$2.9M.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Don’t think the Poolman signing affects that.

Schenn was always going to be a 7/8 guy.

Hopefully true. Could you imagine the whining from the analytics geek crowd if Gudbranson was signed instead of Schenn?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hopefully true. Could you imagine the whining from the analytics geek crowd if Gudbranson was signed instead of Schenn?

I’d be happy to have guddy for a 7th or 8th guy. He’s good for wrecking someone’s face once in awhile.

If I had to choose I would for sure take Schenn though

• Vintage 1