The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Luke Schenn returning to Vancouver

AV.

3 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

No, which makes him a perfect 7/8 guy.....

A 7/8 isn't dressing for 46 games.  They are sitting in the press box like Jalen Chatfield.  Also, we are talking about the best team in hockey.  Schenn is fine as a 6 guy on a team like the Canucks.  We don't have a Sergachev/Savard 3rd pairing.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Savard wasn't with the team for most of the regular season.  Schenn played in 38 regular season games.  He also played in 8 playoff games.  He might not have played in the final but he did contribute in some way to the Stanley Cup Champs.

To suggest he's a 7/8 on every team is false.  Not every team has Sergachev and Savard as a 3rd pairing.  He would be fine playing with Juolevi/Rtahbone.

I think that's a weak 3rd pairing but time will tell.

With injuries, it's a great third pairing. Infact, fantastic. Opening night, I think it shows a lack of depth.

Edited by Chris12345

6 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Close like the Schmidt deal was supposedly close or actually close?

Schmidt deal is very soon.

Hamonic appears to be close.

Hope that clarifies, hah.

Anyway his agent said this morning (or yesterday?) that he likes Van and they want him back want and negotiations have gone quite well. 

12 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

Rather 1 year, 750k but it is what it is. He's not a top 6 defender so there better be more moves coming.

1 year, 2 years doesn’t matter. You still have to pay someone at least that amount. He can get sent down, waivers whatever. Literally doesn’t matter 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He's a top 6 on 90% of teams out there, and a top 4 on Edmonton or Toronto.

Yea bad man..... 100% accurate but compare our team to the best not lower 1/3.

Never get better if we pride ourselves on "at least we aren't Edmonton".

Edited by Chris12345

23 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well.... Hamonic isn't worth that. If he gets it, terrific I'm happy for him. 

there has to be another RHD coming as Luke only plays 10 mins per night now. 

I was referring to Hakanpaa. I was hoping for somewhere around $3-$3.5m but that Oleksiak deal SEA handed out...

Hamonic should be around $2.5, maybe $3.

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah I have a feeling Hakanpaa is getting in the $3.5-$4 million range...

Yeah and hopefully not the +/-$4.5 range Oleksiak got.

I'd probably do $3.5 if we're moving Schmidt but $4 is starting to get sketchy IMO.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, kloubek said:

We were all pretty happy with Schenn's short stint here. He certainly adds the physical element we need back there. And from the sounds of it, the price would be right from a depth perspective alone.

But really, this talk of Hughes and Schenn together isn't an ideal scenario to me. It'll work, but he really needs a stud like Larsson or Savard to get full offensive value out of him imo. (Which it looks like we can't afford without moving more money out)

The major problem is the speed difference between QH and Schenn.

That presence was great for QH but in terms of the O play I think there was always the onus on QH while roaming or setting up in the zone, to ensure he didn’t leave Schenn outnumbered on a turnover because if he did, he couldn’t count on Schenn’s foot speed to minimize positional chances. I think that’s why we need someone with better acceleration and turning than Schenn for that role. It’s too bad because he’s a great throwback Dman but is an ideal bottom pairing backfill/7th man.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Yea bad man..... 100% accurate but compare our team to the best not lower 1/3.

Never get better if we pride ourselves on "at least we aren't Edmonton".

How about the other 90%?  Lots of legit top 6 guys would have trouble making that Lightning starting lineup when healthy.

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

A 7/8 isn't dressing for 46 games.  They are sitting in the press box like Jalen Chatfield.  Also, we are talking about the best team in hockey.  Schenn is fine as a 6 guy on a team like the Canucks.  We don't have a Sergachev/Savard 3rd pairing.

How high or low was Chatfield on the depth chart? 8?