The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada's New Governor General

Ilunga

As members of this board who know my posting history realise I am not big on Authority figures,however I believe this appointment is a big deal on multiple levels.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/canada-swears-in-first-indigenous-governor-general-amid-reckoning-with-colonial-history 

I wish Mary all the best and I hope she can help heal any divisions/wounds that still exist in your society.

Something like this happening here in Aus is fantasy thinking unfortunately.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Ilunga said:

As members of this board who know my posting history realise I am not big on Authority figures,however I believe this appointment is a big deal on multiple levels.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/canada-swears-in-first-indigenous-governor-general-amid-reckoning-with-colonial-history 

I wish Mary all the best and I hope she can help heal any divisions/wounds that still exist in your society.

Something like this happening here in Aus is fantasy thinking unfortunately.

this is a very good choice and she also happens to be a highly capable person. She might be able to accomplish a lot. 

• Like 1

I have no actual statement on this knowing the GG is almost entirely ceremonial and just a voice without power.

Want me to believe you care, give us fresh water.  Give us hospitals.  Abolish the indian act.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I have no actual statement on this knowing the GG is almost entirely ceremonial and just a voice without power.

Want me to believe you care, give us fresh water.  Give us hospitals.  Abolish the indian act.

given her roles in helping to build Nunavut, I think a lot of that is possible. I can see her being an important bridge between what people really need and how to get it done within a government structure. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

given her roles in helping to build Nunavut, I think a lot of that is possible. I can see her being an important bridge between what people really need and how to get it done within a government structure. 

She has no power other than being a figurehead is the issue.

This is symbolic, not pro-active and not an actual movement towards fixing the issues both parties continually claim to be trying to fix every single election

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

She has no power other than being a figurehead is the issue.

This is symbolic, not pro-active and not an actual movement towards fixing the issues both parties continually claim to be trying to fix every single election

she does have a powerful stage though. 

I can understand why people would be skeptical. I do think given her experience in Nunavut there's reason for optimism here. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I can understand why people would be skeptical. I do think given her experience in Nunavut there's reason for optimism here. 

“My Inuktitut name is Ningiukudluk, and Prime Minister, it means bossy little old lady.” It will be much more difficult for Trudeau to ignore this lady now when she speaks up on issues like water, hospitals, etc. The position might be symbolic but I think Ningiukudluk is all business. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

“My Inuktitut name is Ningiukudluk, and Prime Minister, it means bossy little old lady.” It will be much more difficult for Trudeau to ignore this lady now when she speaks up on issues like water, hospitals, etc. The position might be symbolic but I think Ningiukudluk is all business. 

what I'm hoping to see if her helping to facilitate more projects and opportunities of FN's to take over from the government. The more things that are under FN's control the better. 

Just because previous GG's have been symbolic doesn't mean she has to be, lets see if she can redefine the role. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Not when it commissioned the Stanley Cup.  Some things mattered, many things didn't. Give her a chance. 

It's a ceremonial position that is tied to an antiquated ideal that is funded by the people. No need for it. 

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

It's a ceremonial position that is tied to an antiquated ideal that is funded by the people. No need for it. 

It is in the constitution. I don't care for monarchy either.  Until the law changes, it needs to be filled. Commander in chief of the armed forces too. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jaimito said:

It is in the constitution. I don't care for monarchy either.  Until the law changes, it needs to be filled. Commander in chief of the armed forces too. 

Oh I know that it needs to be filled. I'm hoping the day comes when Canada grows enough courage to leave the Commonwealth. 

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder who establishes her itinerary?  Could she decide, on her own, to visit all the sites that don't have clean drinking water?  Or the sites with unmarked graves?  Granted, she couldn't do much on her own about them but it would keep attention on these issues.

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

I wonder who establishes her itinerary?  Could she decide, on her own, to visit all the sites that don't have clean drinking water?  Or the sites with unmarked graves?  Granted, she couldn't do much on her own about them but it would keep attention on these issues.

Certainly she could. She can speak out on anything she wants to. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Certainly she could. She can speak out on anything she wants to. 

If there is any indication of what the previous GG was like I don't think we should expect much.. 

This is merely a ceremonial position setup by the monarchy to quail anti-monarchist sentiment in indigenous peoples. 

Let us not forget the busts of two monarchs were cut in the last few months. 

Think of this like a pacifier for a baby...

34 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

If there is any indication of what the previous GG was like I don't think we should expect much.. 

This is merely a ceremonial position setup by the monarchy to quail anti-monarchist sentiment in indigenous peoples. 

Let us not forget the busts of two monarchs were cut in the last few months. 

Think of this like a pacifier for a baby...

meh, its just too easy to take this position. People that actually do things don't think this way. 

• Like 2