The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks G Holtby To Be Bought Out

1 hour ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

If you were to tell me 2 weeks ago that Canucks would have OEL and Garland and have lost: Roussel, Eriksson, Beagle, Virtanen, and Holtby. I would've thought you were talking about the first couple days of Franchise Mode on NHL 21

This.

But I would have kept my man Jay Beagle at all costs - deal-breaker!! in the Zona blockbuster!! - so y'all should be thankful you have GMJB instead.

I would have insisted they take Holtby instead (with Raanta expiring).

They could have then retained 50% on him and moved him for another mid-late pick....

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

If you were to tell me 2 weeks ago that Canucks would have OEL and Garland and have lost: Roussel, Eriksson, Beagle, Virtanen, and Holtby. I would've thought you were talking about the first couple days of Franchise Mode on NHL 21

I tried to do that. Teams wouldn’t let me. I had to move the players before I started franchise mode :lol:

8 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Wheres the guy that was telling me it was a great deal to mentor demko? It's no risk 2 year deal can easily trade it or Seattle will gladly take it off our hand?

Holtby is history now.   Even a guilty man is only punished once.

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Idk man. Benning burns alot of his money for nothing. As far as I understand it benning makes the hockey moves and AQ signs the cheques. 

Holtby 

Loui E 

Baerstchi

Just off the top of my head of completely useless wastes of money

Holtby- team needed a back up, so not a 'complete' waste of money

Loui- too long and a mill too much, as many were saying; I don't recall one posters saying "Don't do it all he'll do is score empty net goals"

Baertschi- the last deal did kind of seenm strange, but not really a high enough salary to get to worked up about.

59 minutes ago, BPA said:

Pretty sure Schmidt has to be traded.  Boeser and Motte contracts are up next year.  So need cap space to re-sign them if it's still a flat cap.  And Ferland contract ends after the 2022-2023 season (same time as JV + Holtby buyouts).

Need space for Boeser

Like space for Motte

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Wheres the guy that was telling me it was a great deal to mentor demko? It's no risk 2 year deal can easily trade it or Seattle will gladly take it off our hand?

Haha where's the many people who said that?

OEL and Garland add 6 and 5 year term to take over all the 1 year cap savings of trading Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel. Then whatever Dickinson is signed for will likely take up all or more of the Virtanen buyout. So even giving up the 9th OA pick didnt actually net the Canucks any cap to use toward EP and Hughes. 

The only way this wasnt happening is if they could trade him with no retention or lose him to Seattle. 

It seems to add about 1.5 to 2 mil to the pot after replacing Holtby. Hopefully its enough to avoid an offer sheet to EP.

Other than losing players, there is going to be limited cap for the next several years to make meaningful changes. So we need to hope he gets EP and Hughes signed and that everyone plays up to whers we need them to. Because this is now our team for at least 3 years.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Haha where's the many people who said that?

OEL and Garland add 6 and 5 year term to take over all the 1 year cap savings of trading Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel. Then whatever Dickinson is signed for will likely take up all or more of the Virtanen buyout. So even giving up the 9th OA pick didnt actually net the Canucks any cap to use toward EP and Hughes. 

The only way this wasnt happening is if they could trade him with no retention or lose him to Seattle. 

It seems to add about 1.5 to 2 mil to the pot after replacing Holtby. Hopefully its enough to avoid an offer sheet to EP.

Other than losing players, there is going to be limited cap for the next several years to make meaningful changes. So we need to hope he gets EP and Hughes signed and that everyone plays up to whers we need them to. Because this is now our team for at least 3 years.

Don't remember who since apparently I have so many haters here but someone was telling me how this was a great deal where else we gonna find a Stanley cup caliber goalie etc etc lol and how we can easily just keep him or trade him away oh well lol

27 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The team could use a righty to play with Hughes though.

I have a feeling that, should Schenn be signed, Hughes will be T4Ding this year behind OEL… would be good for Hughes’ development to take a bit of spotlight off of him.

• Vintage 3

Nice to see ownership has given that green light on buy outs. It can’t be easy to feel like we’re throwing away millions, especially when it’s an owner’s money, so I’m feeling fortunate right now that we have that luxury. Not all NHL teams do.

Just now, Slegr said:

Nice to see ownership has given that green light on buy outs. It can’t be easy to feel like we’re throwing away millions, especially when it’s an owner’s money, so I’m feeling fortunate right now that we have that luxury. Not all NHL teams do.

I agree with the sentiment regarding the owners. If only they were as willing to spend money and take the losses on the front office and coaching.

But it isnt nice to see that our GM has to buy out or give away top 10 picks to get out from under this many horrible contracts.

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

I think that it's a good move as absolutely last resort when teams are lowballing JB in trading negotiations.  They probably wants some of their bad contract back or salary retained as a part of trade condition and Benning is not biting.  He gets a huge saving for this season and Luongo's recapture penalty coming off the books and can take some of the buyout cap hit and still free up some space even further.   Buyout is still a good option and that shows that trading market can be overrated because GM who seek to unload the salary would still ask one of two options: retained salaries or roster player that you do not even want.   That freed up space would enable JB to sign a free agents that they wanted.  If they feel that DiPietro is ready to assume the back-up role, he will be given an opportunity after seeing that he did not play much and yet he played great in limited ice time in AHL so you could tell that he truly worked on his game with lots of practice time.  It would be waste if he sign a back-up goalie from free agents to the cost of Holtby's salary even for a league minimum.    

2 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Canucks forced to buyout Jake Virtanen because they can't find takers

Canucks forced to buyout Braden Holtby because they can't trade him at the conditions they had in mind.

VAN added Holtby and Schmidt last offseason, just one season later both will be gone because Canucks need the cap space. Neither Holtby nor Schmidt have been a fit. Terrible.

So Canucks are to blame for JV's pathetic behaviour... rubbish...

• Upvote 1