Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks G Holtby To Be Bought Out


Recommended Posts

Its pretty obvious Canucks are still in cap hell and need every penny to sign the big 2 Petey and Quinn. 
 

for Me Quinn is a tricky signing your know Makar signed for 9mil and also as soon as hes an UFA he’ll likely bolt to play with his brothers. So its a fine line with limited cap space for Jimbo. You gotta sign him to length but not long enough to be a UFA at the end of the contract. Quinns a 8mil player imo. Not a 7mil like fans are hoping.

 

anywho We gotta sign the big 2 asap every other player doesnt matter til these 2 are signed. I would rather have these 2 locked up and happy then worry about a 1yr cheap backup goalie. 
 

Jimbo free cap space, sign the big 2, then worry about the others later.

 

Go Canucks Go

 

5576CE65-B425-481D-BF6D-86751B6AE2A9.gif

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I agree with the sentiment regarding the owners. If only they were as willing to spend money and take the losses on the front office and coaching.

 

But it isnt nice to see that our GM has to buy out or give away top 10 picks to get out from under this many horrible contracts.

If so they could just have told JB to leave, but instead they extended his contract... Smart move...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what meaningful changes will we need, other than add our own prospects into the mix?

This is not a cup winning roster. Still need a true top pairing right side D and any top 4 that can be a shutdown type. A top 4 of OEL, Hughes, Schmidt, and Myers might just be among the worst overall top 4 D in the NHL on the defensive side of the puck. That will take a big chunk of cap to do it right. Boeser, Horvat, Miller, etc will all need new contracts soon. Those will undoubtedly be raises, especially if EP and Hughes hit big money on these contracts.

 

This team has about a 2 year window to be competitive as constructed. Then big changes will need to be made yet again. And several contracts will again be anchors.

 

We still have overpaid ~30 year old guys who arent worth their cap hit and especially term. Pearson, OEL, Schmidt, Myers. 

 

Benning is going for it and I understand why. He needs the playoffs this year to save his job. But the long term will very possibly again be ugly for the Canucks as a result. One more rebuild year would have been a lower risk alternative. Using the cap space next offseason to go all in to be sustainably competitive.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Which is weird because the Van media for a year kept ranting about the ownership letting people go, wants savings in player salary, and won't pay Travis Green and Ian Clark what they wish for because the owner is going broke. 

I think that last sentence might be some speculation, but you're right... they did look cheap there for a bit. 

 

I am willing to bet that when Benning found a way to move our salary to Arizona, the view from ownership changed. Now they aren't just throwing money away, but doing so to try to ice a playoff team a year earlier than expected.  Credit where it's due - ownership has generally been *very* supportive financially....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only thing different he should have done is front load the contract and lighter on the tail. If his cap was 4.3 and actually got paid like 3.2 in the last year instead of 5.7 he would have been easier to unload for $500,000 retention.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This is not a cup winning roster. Still need a true top pairing right side D and any top 4 that can be a shutdown type. A top 4 of OEL, Hughes, Schmidt, and Myers might just be among the worst overall top 4 D in the NHL on the defensive side of the puck. That will take a big chunk of cap to do it right. Boeser, Horvat, Miller, etc will all need new contracts soon. Those will undoubtedly be raises, especially if EP and Hughes hit big money on these contracts.

 

This team has about a 2 year window to be competitive as constructed. Then big changes will need to be made yet again. And several contracts will again be anchors.

 

We still have overpaid ~30 year old guys who arent worth their cap hit and especially term. Pearson, OEL, Schmidt, Myers. 

 

Benning is going for it and I understand why. He needs the playoffs this year to save his job. But the long term will very possibly again be ugly for the Canucks as a result. One more rebuild year would have been a lower risk alternative. Using the cap space next offseason to go all in to be sustainably competitive.

This. Nobody thinks of the future in the organization. Benning has basically closed the cup window for this team to 2 years by getting the OEL contract, signing Myers and etc. 

If the Canucks don't make the playoffs this year, it would mean OEL truly doesn't live up to his contract. The overall team has regressed and it will be 6 more long years before Canucks can be in contention again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

This. Nobody thinks of the future in the organization. Benning has basically closed the cup window for this team to 2 years by getting the OEL contract, signing Myers and etc. 

If the Canucks don't make the playoffs this year, it would mean OEL truly doesn't live up to his contract. The overall team has regressed and it will be 6 more long years before Canucks can be in contention again.

I have similar concerns about OELs’ fickleness when things are not going his way.  Like I stated before, the Canucks took all the risk and down season in the foreseeable future would be disastrous - pressures on Green cause on paper the roster is a lot better.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I have similar concerns about OELs’ fickleness when things are not going his way.  Like I stated before, the Canucks took all the risk and down season in the foreseeable future would be disastrous - pressures on Green cause on paper the roster is a lot better.   

it's not a risk for the coyotes to give away their two best players for a couple of picks and another team's steaming trash?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's too bad they couldn't move him even for a late pick or something. 

 

However, if it helps with all the signings we have to do this offseason I think it will be worth it. Next off season should be easier thankfully with only Boeser as the big contract to sign. 

 

This season we just need to find a cheap back up for a million or two. I think next season they should start going with Michael DiPietro. He will be getting a new short term cheap contract after this season and I think will be around 23. We've only been hearing good things about Mikey so far I would say, so I think that could be an exciting backup option for a goalie who has gotten some AHL experience and should be getting ready to break into the NHL. A more experienced veteran is often safer I agree, but on top of Mikey just getting his shot I think working with Clark would be very beneficial to him.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, tas said:

it's not a risk for the coyotes to give away their two best players for a couple of picks and another team's steaming trash?

They ve been wanting to get rid of there commitment with OEL and based on the rumour Garland was not happy there as well; so they weren’t going to get the best out of both players.  
 

They got a soild prospect, a second round pick and a lot of cap space moving forward - how are the risk taken by each team similar ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Canucks forced to buyout Jake Virtanen because they can't find takers

Canucks forced to buyout Braden Holtby because they can't trade him at the conditions they had in mind.

 

VAN added Holtby and Schmidt last offseason, just one season later both will be gone because Canucks need the cap space. Neither Holtby nor Schmidt have been a fit. Terrible.

boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This is not a cup winning roster. Still need a true top pairing right side D and any top 4 that can be a shutdown type. A top 4 of OEL, Hughes, Schmidt, and Myers might just be among the worst overall top 4 D in the NHL on the defensive side of the puck. That will take a big chunk of cap to do it right. Boeser, Horvat, Miller, etc will all need new contracts soon. Those will undoubtedly be raises, especially if EP and Hughes hit big money on these contracts.

 

This team has about a 2 year window to be competitive as constructed. Then big changes will need to be made yet again. And several contracts will again be anchors.

 

We still have overpaid ~30 year old guys who arent worth their cap hit and especially term. Pearson, OEL, Schmidt, Myers. 

 

Benning is going for it and I understand why. He needs the playoffs this year to save his job. But the long term will very possibly again be ugly for the Canucks as a result. One more rebuild year would have been a lower risk alternative. Using the cap space next offseason to go all in to be sustainably competitive.

The Canucks had 6 overpaid guys just a week ago. Beagle, Sutter, Eriksson, Roussel, Edler and Holtby. Plus, Virtanen. Would you rather they kept them too?

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa boo boo bii bii baa baa 

I agree with every word you said.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

The Canucks had 6 overpaid guys just a week ago. Beagle, Sutter, Eriksson, Roussel, Edler and Holtby. Plus, Virtanen. Would you rather they kept them too?

Yea because they wanted to keep tanking and for Benning to be fired.

 

This is all they care about.

  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

The Canucks had 6 overpaid guys just a week ago. Beagle, Sutter, Eriksson, Roussel, Edler and Holtby. Plus, Virtanen. Would you rather they kept them too?

It would had been one year of pain to clean up his mess - rather than a few years walking on eggshells hoping that everything goes right or end up being in the same situation in a few years.
 

But who knows, Green might put it altogether.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

They ve been wanting to get rid of there commitment with OEL and based on the rumour Garland was not happy there as well; so they weren’t going to get the best out of both players.  
 

They got a soild prospect, a second round pick and a lot of cap space moving forward - how are the risk taken by each team similar ?

They traded 2 of their best players.  They are nothing but a dumping ground for other teams cap dumps.  Arizona is the biggest joke in the league right now.  Eriksson might crack their top 9.  Worst run club in all of hockey.  Threw away a 1st round pick as well for nothing.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

The Canucks had 6 overpaid guys just a week ago. Beagle, Sutter, Eriksson, Roussel, Edler and Holtby. Plus, Virtanen. Would you rather they kept them too?

:picard:

 

Time for Edler to move on but please don't lump him in with the rest of the trash.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • b3. unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...