The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks G Holtby To Be Bought Out

Just now, DrJockitch said:

So for last years mistakes we now have 2.5M In dead cap space next year. 

Sounds about right... however Luongo's cap recapture penalty will be complete, so it about events out. Not that it's a good thing, but the Canucks have been playing with a consistent $3 - 5 million dollar handicap on top of the redundant contracts for the past half decade. It's a vicious cycle but this is the right move. I would concede that moving Holtby was going to cost picks, likely with salary retention. You now get similar savings this year, if not more, with a buyout without forfeiting picks or other assets at the cost of a slight buyout hike. 

It goes without saying, though, that all of the moves JB has made over the past few weeks screams "saving his hide!"

• Cheers 3

Should have just retained salary and got a mid to late round pick for him. I absolutely hate these contracts that have lingering years of dead cap space, something I thought we would finally be past after this year....guess not! So instead of retain 2.15m the max retention and get some kind of pick we decided to buy him out and have 2.4m in dead cap space over 2 years...solid GMing I tell ya, should have just kept him around and moved him at the deadline or something and traded Schmidt for a pick to clear 5.9m

8 minutes ago, Darius said:

Just trying to determine the reasoning here.  Maybe im seeing this wrong.  Another backup will cost $$ , so how big will the savings be.

What is the motivation?  More money for UFA?  Money for EP and Hughes?

Or have they just lost faith in him after last season?

Maybe DiPietro will be the backup.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

13 minutes ago, Odjick_fan said:

I would say no one is going through arbitration so there would be no buyout window if not bought out today 

Dickinson and garland will file... but I doubt it gets to a hearing

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why a mess?

Canucks forced to buyout Jake Virtanen because they can't find takers

Canucks forced to buyout Braden Holtby because they can't trade him at the conditions they had in mind.

VAN added Holtby and Schmidt last offseason, just one season later both will be gone because Canucks need the cap space. Neither Holtby nor Schmidt have been a fit. Terrible.

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 5

7 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

So for last years mistakes we now have 2.5M In dead cap space next year. 

I wouldn't say Holtby was a mistake he filled the role we needed last year.. veteran insurance type backup.

Virtanen... Well I mean that mistake was out of the Canucks hands they chose to keep Virtanen as an argument for asset management. Otherwise you're going to arbitration with an unknown number or letting him walk for nothing

4 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Question:

Could we buy him out then resign at a lower rate?

I believe a player that is bought out either cannot be resigned by the team for the duration of that buyout life time or just for a year

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Question:

Could we buy him out then resign at a lower rate?

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

You can resign. I believe the player has to clear waivers and there is a time element.

Flames did it with Stone?

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Canucks forced to buyout Braden Holtby because they can't trade him at the conditions they had in mind.

VAN added Holtby and Schmidt last offseason, just one season later both will be gone because Canucks need the cap space. Neither Holtby nor Schmidt have been a fit. Terrible.

Which is why J.B. should be retained in the organization for his great hockey mind but should not be the G.M. of the team. 

Edited by Maddogy

25 minutes ago, b3. said:

Yuck - this is really not ideal.

Retaining 50% and trading him for nothing would have been better but we know this administration is not the brightest. That’s two contracts that Jimbo signed last year that have been bough out. Shocked that he is still here

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 3

2 minutes ago, goblix said:

I wouldn't say Holtby was a mistake he filled the role we needed last year.. veteran insurance type backup.

Virtanen... Well I mean that mistake was out of the Canucks hands they chose to keep Virtanen as an argument for asset management. Otherwise you're going to arbitration with an unknown number or letting him walk for nothing

I believe a player that is bought out either cannot be resigned by the team for the duration of that buyout life time or just for a year

Holtby had an abysmal season in WSH 2019/2020. Here are Holtby's stats last season. He didn't win Canucks many games. Just saying. Look at the stats.

Holtby's stats:

second worst save percentage while 5v5 at 0.889

second worst goals saved above average -14.59

league worst high danger save percentage with 0.747

league worst high danger goals saved above average at -11.94

Cap hit of 4.3 M and salary due in 2021/2022 5.7M

was another bad signing from Jim Benning and his team.

• Upvote 2
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Why not just retain more and take the hit this year instead of having that significant hit next year? It doesn't make sense.

it does from a cash flow perspective. We need more space this year than next year to get all the RFA deals in place now. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Holtby is a fit but his contact as of right now isn't... They need the cap space so any trade that a team wanted retention was never an option.. draft picks to offload not an option as well.

Schmidt case is an odd one no one really knows if it's a player style or the environment that the player was in that caused him to be a bad fit this year