The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks G Holtby To Be Bought Out

I mean, I get it.  Management needed to replace Markstrom, they needed to protect Demko, and they wanted a veteran with experience, so Holtby ticked the boxes.  And the alternatives were Mike Smith and Cam Talbot, the latter who probably wasn't going to sign for 2 years.  But man, what a horrendous off-season last year was.  Virtanen and Holtby both bought out in the space of the year and now a Schmidt trade looking likely as well.  Lucky for us FA is willing to pay the money to facilitate this.

Perhaps, what also bodes well for this management is that the reigning Vezina winner just got traded for free.  Seems like it's a negative market for goalies with salary.

4 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I don't believe you can.

Closest thing we've seen is Washington trading away Orpik for another team to buy him out and then Washington re-signing him right away.

You can resign. I believe the player has to clear waivers and there is a time element.

Flames did it with Stone?

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Lol this is what happens when your focus as a reporter is to be first, not correct. 

In all seriousness though, I've always been impressed with Dhali's work. 9/10 he's on the money. The other one time, nobody has it right!

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Canucks forced to buyout Jake Virtanen because they can't find takers

Canucks forced to buyout Braden Holtby because they can't trade him at the conditions they had in mind.

VAN added Holtby and Schmidt last offseason, just one season later both will be gone because Canucks need the cap space. Neither Holtby nor Schmidt have been a fit. Terrible.

So?  All teams do this, how is it a mess?  It's pretty inconsequential in the big picture.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Oregon.Duck said:

We literally just signed him! Admitting a mistake so soon.  

Someone take the keys from Jimbo. Let him drive the drafting and personnel. Someone else do contracts. Pls.  

Almost like he was only meant to be a one year place holder or something. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

At least Benning can tell other teams he is not cap screwed in schmidt negotiations. 

we may see Nate on the roster yet before its all over. He's a good player, it would be nice to see it work here too. 

1 minute ago, Pears said:

Almost like he was only meant to be a one year place holder or something. 

The contract was even structured to facilitate a buyout if necessary.  We can get a cheaper backup and spend the rest on improving our D, especially if we can move Schmidt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Retaining 50% and trading him for nothing would have been better but we know this administration is not the brightest. That’s two contracts that Jimbo signed last year that have been bough out. Shocked that he is still here

He’s only here for your entertainment Squam. Don’t you know that by now?

This is an example of Benning being class.  If he kept trying to trade Holtby until the next buyout window, teams would have settled most of their goaltending needs and his market would be much smaller.  He has helped his team with cap space and helped the player's career.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 3

Clearing all this cap space is good… In principle.

You have to do something useful with it though.  I assume they know what the approximate numbers will be for Petterson, Hughes, and Garland will be so have determined they need the extra space short term.

10 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Holtby had an abysmal season in WSH 2019/2020. Here are Holtby's stats last season. He didn't win Canucks many games. Just saying. Look at the stats.

Holtby's stats:

second worst save percentage while 5v5 at 0.889

second worst goals saved above average -14.59

league worst high danger save percentage with 0.747

league worst high danger goals saved above average at -11.94

Cap hit of 4.3 M and salary due in 2021/2022 5.7M

was another bad signing from Jim Benning and his team.

I mean he went 7-11-3 so he won some lol

Was he worth the contract? God no

But he may have been worth it to Demko and maybe was a bet that Canucks could rehabilitate his form to increase trade value

The team was utter trash last year so I can't really blame the entirety of his stats just on Holtby