The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Conor Garland

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Nope. We are in essentially the same cap situation we were before the trade. We are better on the ice though.

But gettibg rid of Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, Virtanen, and Holtby and bringing in OEL, Garland, Dickenson, and a Holtby replacement is essentially a wash cap wise. Maybe a mil or two added to whats available for Petey and Hughes. But still need to round out the depth too so ultimately nothing significant was gained cap wise.

It is still very much a dollar out for dollar in scenario.

Except that the 4 skaters that left weren't on the roster at the end of the season (so their replacements had cap hits as well).  Not much i know, but every bit counts in the flat cap world.

54 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

I don't know much about Garland. Isn't it weird though how he does not try to bulk up like many other forwards in the league do?

It's because his listed height is extremely generous. He's actually 5'7, so 165 is a pretty normal weight.
I think this guy could be a rock star here, he's a point producer and a high-skilled player - but I do worry about his size. 

Between Motte, Hoglander, and Garland, that's a lot of pesky small guys. We're going to be an annoying team to play against, but there is a risk of injury with these guys.

Just now, nergish said:

It's because his listed height is extremely generous. He's actually 5'7, so 165 is a pretty normal weight.
I think this guy could be a rock star here, he's a point producer and a high-skilled player - but I do worry about his size. 

Between Motte, Hoglander, and Garland, that's a lot of pesky small guys. We're going to be an annoying team to play against, but there is a risk of injury with these guys.

Yeah short but elite like skating and edge work a guy that can keep the puck in the offensive zone with defenseman having hard times with. I will take that.

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Cannot wait to see Garland in the lineup! He's exactly what we need more of to win. Big favorite already. These quotes have me fired up! Let's go! Let's do this!

As long as it moves Pearson out of the top 6 and off the PP I am a fan.

Miller-EP-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland 

That needs to be the top 6.

Would rather Pearson not be signed for 3 years at 2nd liner money but that ship has sailed. No foresight at all there.

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin should be a decent 3rd line. It will probably stunt Podz a bit offensively though but hopefully he can make an immediate impact.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Miller-EP-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland 

Would rather Pearson not be signed for 3 years at 2nd liner money but that ship has sailed. No foresight at all there.

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin should be a decent 3rd line. It will probably stunt Podz a bit offensively though but hopefully he can make an immediate impact.

Pearson, myers gone in 3 years. Almost 10 mill of cap space to re-sign both Quinn and petey who hopefully come off a bridge deal.

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Miller-EP-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland 

On the same page. Zero issue with this. I'm ok with Pearson on the 3rd line. He's a much better fit there in our Top 9.

I'm also fine with paying Pearson more because of his reliability and consistency. Plus if Hogs or Miller go down to injury, He'll be forced into Top 6 minutes. 

I think both Pearson and Dickinson will provide enough stability and room on the 3rd that Podz won't be overworked or over his head. 

28 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Miller-EP-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland 

bo horvat disagrees. 

3 minutes ago, tas said:

bo horvat disagrees. 

Look at the numbers.

It is quickly discernable that its not Horvat who needs Pearson, its Pearson who needs Horvat. Go ahead, dig into their numbers playing with each other and without. Its illuminating.

Horvat does not fall off a cliff offensively when he is without Pearson. Pearson becomes as productive as a 4th liner without Horvat.

Should have let him walk. He is one of the most overrated players on CDC. Even in his career year he scored 20% of his points with the opposing net empty. In his career year he was basically as productive as a 3rd liner, while playing 2nd line minutes. Last year he wasnt even that, while playing full time 2nd line minutes and half the season on the top pp unit.

That 3.25 mil next year would have gone a long way to not being cap crunched and in a potential offer sheet situation for EP.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Garland worth 5mill a season for 5 years..

yikes 

well if he’s worth 5 I guess EP should hold out for 9. 
gross deal 

3.5 should have been the max.

that cap space must just be burning JB.

Oh it must be ufa time when Jb make mediocre players long term mistakes. 

Edited by combover
  • Wat 3
  • RoughGame 4