The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Conor Garland

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I love Hogz, but I do think that TPs spot to lose.  Plus, I would love to see a kid line with Hogz and Podz and see what they do

Pearson lost it by producing next to nothing with full top 6 time and half a year on the top pp unit. He had what 3 pp points?

Pearson is terribly overrated on here. Give Horvat actual good wingers to play with who can drive the offense and watch how much better he can be once he is freed from carrying Pearson.

• RoughGame 1

10 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

So much action today. 

Reminds me of when Pat Quinn was GM. Traded for Courtnal Ronning Momesso Dirk ..  that was also a huge day.. 

Oh boy.

Stop giving me hope.

Lol.

:P

• Cheers 2

This contract seems to be well received around the league. I guess good job Benning? 

I am not his biggest fan when it comes to contracts but it would be unfair to say he overpays every time. I like Demko and Horvat contracts. Even Boeser. Here's to hoping for good Petey and Hughes contracts

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

He did say he wanted a third line center with some heft.

Getz is 6’3” 228. That’s pretty hefty.

Pearson Getzlaf Podkolzin 

Motte Sutter Dickinson

If Getzlaf comes in cheap. I’d definitely take him. If not then we need to pass. 

4 hours ago, mpt said:

It was a joke, especially since Benning seems to love buying out people

This is not really in response to your quote but with all the talk about buyouts I took a look on Capfriendly at every team’s dead cap. I recommend anyone interested do the same as I was surprised to find that (ballpark estimate) nearly 2/3 of the teams had more dead cap than Vancouver. Even more if you don’t count the Luongo recapture penalty. Also keep in mind that there are a few owners that probably don’t even allow buyouts so JB is actually doing very well.

• Cheers 3

7 hours ago, mpt said:

It was a joke, especially since Benning seems to love buying out people

2 hours ago, butters said:

top 5 favorite Benning buyouts?

I believe there have only been 4 total, 2 in the 7 years prior to this week.

15 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Injuries, is the one thing that is hard to project when acquiring player(s) - hopefully, through proper training & etc, we can actually enjoy watching these players play -  rather than the last groups of FA’s JB had signed.  Imo, a team should be very hesitant in giving any term to a 30+ complementary type players cause the style of play that got them an NHL gig (in the first place) tends to be really hard on the body; if I am a GM, I would only offer a bunch of 1yr prove me type contracts - to keep the player motivated (instead of partially being in retirement mode).

I like the direction that JB has done (this time) by acquiring & signing complementary players that are entering their prime years.  Good chance, the Canucks will get there moneys worth with Dickenson & Garland - fingers crossed, that the Canucks curse will take a few years off.

Definitely, the pressure are on Green & Friends but Clarke & Shaw should offer some hope.

Absolutely.   Massive upside signing guys in their mid twenties compared to ones 29-31.   Blue chip UFAs deserve their pay days (for the most part) and a 32 year old D is like a 29 year old winger really.    Rare that a guy enters free agency at 26-27.    Those guys get extra paid.   I'm happy with the course JB is on, still pinching myself - didn't think it was possible until next year.   Sure we differed some cash on OEL, how much is yet to be determined.   Not sure about Holbty buyout ... other then that he's got an A or maybe even an A+ so far from me.   Signings and free agency next 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely.   Massive upside signing guys in their mid twenties compared to ones 29-31.   Blue chip UFAs deserve their pay days (for the most part) and a 32 year old D is like a 29 year old winger really.    Rare that a guy enters free agency at 26-27.    Those guys get extra paid.   I'm happy with the course JB is on, still pinching myself - didn't think it was possible until next year.   Sure we differed some cash on OEL, how much is yet to be determined.   Not sure about Holbty buyout ... other then that he's got an A or maybe even an A+ so far from me.   Signings and free agency next 

Yeah, the Canucks took all the risk in this deal cause a down season (in the foreseeable future) is not really an option; regardless, I am excited to see this roster perform; OEL to not become an LE 2.0; and for Green to do his part (Green & Friends is the one X factor that I will be watching intently but the addition of Shaw based on his past accomplishment(s); especially, in player development offers some hope that the staff can put it altogether).

Really hoping to see how Bones & OJ will develope under Shaws tutelage cause the performance of these two as cheap (but talented) options/depth, will allow the team some flexibility with the cap.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

4 hours ago, tas said:

I believe there have only been 4 total, 2 in the 7 years prior to this week.

My point is, we’ve had 22 million in penalties with buyouts, inherited cap recapture penalties and burying players in the minors on bad contracts.  One remains in Luongo that goes away next year, then we just go and load up again.  Freedom was so close.  It’s like going right back into debt when you finally see the light in the tunnel.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mpt said:

My point is, we’ve had 22 million in penalties with buyouts, inherited cap recapture penalties and burying players in the minors on bad contracts.  One remains in Luongo that goes away next year, then we just go and load up again.  Freedom was so close.  It’s like going right back into debt when you finally see the light in the tunnel.

Signing Garland to 5 x 5 doesn’t hurt our future cap.  He’s only 25, and is an awesome player!  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1