The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Conor Garland

1 minute ago, Drakrami said:

Yeah but Bennet plays a pretty heavy game. Gritty and can fight really well. Bennet's also played 6 full NHL seasons, you basically know what you are getting even if he doesn't score. If he adds scoring to those attributes, 4.25mil is well worth it.

Garland on the other hand, 5'10, if he doesn't score... 

Garland is pretty snarly. He plays above his size for sure. Doesn't back down from anyone. And I don't expect the Canucks will let him have to fight his own battles. People like Dickinson and Pod are big boys. They will step up.

1 minute ago, Drakrami said:

Yeah but Bennet plays a pretty heavy game. Gritty and can fight really well. Bennet's also played 6 full NHL seasons, you basically know what you are getting even if he doesn't score. If he adds scoring to those attributes, 4.25mil is well worth it.

Garland on the other hand, 5'10, if he doesn't score... 

Bennet wouldn't have gotten close to 4.25 mill if he hadn't been a superstar in those 15 games. Also, from what I hear, Garland brings a lot of feistiness to the lineup as well. That's certainly something our lineup has been lacking for a long time.

• Cheers 1

A little bit nervous as there isn’t a big resume there.  He has effectively played two seasons worth of NHL hockey and he is 25.

As much as Benning has been above average in amateur evaluation, he has been below average in pro scouting.  I hope this one is a hit and not a miss.

It “seems” like he is a great fit for Bo’s line.  Bo isn’t a great playmaker for a centre, and Garland is apparently a great set up man.  

The downside is his size and the size of some of the rest of our core being really small.  Hoglander, Petterson, Hughes, and Garland now make up a big chunk of our group and they don’t have much “heft”.  It means we know exactly the type of player to surround them with.  Bigger body physical guys who can complement the smaller skill.  Good news is that those guys are cheaper and easier to find than high end skill talent.

All in all a fairly balanced risk.  If Garland can be a 50-60 point guy regularly while only being on the 2nd PP unit… that could be one of our first really good value contracts going forward.  If he is a 30-40 point guy who doesn’t bring much else to the table m, we will probably be overpaying for that.

1 minute ago, PuckFather said:

Guys, this day will go down in history as the day Benning signed a player to a contract that HFcanucks could not whine about. :emot-parrot:

They whined about Demko, Boeser, Horvat? 

I’ll never go there 

• Vintage 1

I was hoping he'd come in closer to 4 million - but that probably wasn't realistic - and wasn't expecting a full 5 years - so I'm game.

I'm not in favour of giving out 25 million contracts to guys who just broke out - had one year of production - but that doesn't really apply to Garland - he was a 20+ goal scorer two seasons ago and followed that up with 39 pts in 49 gams - so taking this risk on 5 seasons could really pay off if he sustains what he's done the past two years - something that's not hard to imagine whatsoever considering he's going from a team where he was the top scorer in terms of ppg - to one where he'll have guys like EP, Boeser, Miller, Horvat, Hoglander, Podkolzin to play with (no disrespect to Phil Kessel et al, but there's good reason to believe Garland can further uptick in this group - as Miller did) - not to mention offensive D like Hughes, OEL, two way guys like Schmidt, Myers, Juolevi, and another young pmd candidate in Rathbone.  Not hard to see why Garland was excited to join this group and considers this a team that is "going to be very good".

The other indicator that makes me really comfortable with his deal - the kind of player he is - the way he approaches the game - his drive and compete - not a real risk of a 'one-off' imo - he's already upticked significantly in his sophomore and 3rd NHL seasons....

I think the team just took a terrific chance - a good risk - and getting him added to that huge package deal, imo - obsures how great the asset value is that he was acquired for.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 4

41 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He used both our compliance buyouts, spends to the cap every year, and bought our AHL affiliate outright.  Anyone who things Aquilini is cheap never experienced our previous owners.

Spot on... I'd go one further and say, they haven't got a clue, what they are talking about...

He will easily outplay that contract. Was thinking he would be 5+ mil buying UFA years, creates a lot of cost certainty and certainty for Bo, that he has a legitimate RW for the next 2 years and potential few years afterwards should he resign.

Good piece of work with this contract.

Now get Pettersson signed before FA begins...I'd like to sleep soundly not having to wake up to find out an offer sheet is coming for the rest of the summer.