The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Conor Garland

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Bennet wouldn't have gotten close to 4.25 mill if he hadn't been a superstar in those 15 games. Also, from what I hear, Garland brings a lot of feistiness to the lineup as well. That's certainly something our lineup has been lacking for a long time.

Let's say we don't bring the kids into this? 

• Hydration 1

I have no issue with the term. In fact, I really like the term. The AAV is right around what I was expecting, though given the lack of punishing physicality and not a huge sample size, I was hoping for just slightly less AAV around 4.2-4.4m.

With that said, If he continues his improvement like we saw this last season, this could end up a total steal of a deal. 

I'm also quite surprised we added no clauses, which is nice security to have if things go sideways.

4 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Seems like the better option instead of TT. Good job JB recovering on that!

I was think the same thing.  Much younger, faster and with more feistiness than Toffoli.  And he's just entering his prime.  He's going to be a great fit with BO.  We have him until he is 30 as well.  

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
54 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Yeah there are a couple of small guys but the rest of our projected top 9 are definitely not small.

Miller - 6'1 218lbs

Boeser - 6'1 208lbs

Horvat - 6'0 215lbs

Podkolzin - anywhere from 6'0 to 8'9 and 190 to 208

Dickinson - 6'2 200lbs

Pearson - 6'1 201lbs

And Hoglander maybe 5'9 but he's also 190lbs which means he's still a very solid guy.

So we definitely have the skilled guys with "heft" to play the smaller players with and don't have to bring anymore in except for maybe a 4th liner like Khaira. He would make a good edition to the 4th to play with Motte and cycle between Highmore and MacEwen on the other wing. It should make for a very interesting season this year.

I think Dickie and Garland move ahead of Highmore. We should trade Highmore for something we need. A tough D or a tough 4th liner. 

No offense against Highmore, he has a great motor and all but not the right fit anymore. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel

In another thread someone said he was worth a 1st and 5 million. I thought that was an over payment.

My reasoning was that he would not get the same opportunities here on a deeper team.

I was wrong on the salary for sure. I hope he's worth the salary in those 6 million years.

I still love what he brings though.

This is going to be an absolute bargain down the line. Sooner rather than later too.

happy ice hockey GIF by NHL

Love this guys energy. He will light it up playing with Petey/Brock/Hog/Bo/Miller.

• Like 1

What I love with bringing him in is the versatility in the top 9. I expect he will be slotted in on Bo’s line which combined with chemistry already there with Pearson gives us a legit 2nd line for the first time in a long while. 
Miller - Petey - Boeser

Pearson - Bo - Garland

Hogz - Dickinson - Podz

Motte - (name here) - Mac

is a huge improvement from last year. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Yeah there are a couple of small guys but the rest of our projected top 9 are definitely not small.

Miller - 6'1 218lbs

Boeser - 6'1 208lbs

Horvat - 6'0 215lbs

Podkolzin - anywhere from 6'0 to 8'9 and 190 to 208

Dickinson - 6'2 200lbs

Pearson - 6'1 201lbs

And Hoglander maybe 5'9 but he's also 190lbs which means he's still a very solid guy.

So we definitely have the skilled guys with "heft" to play the smaller players with and don't have to bring anymore in except for maybe a 4th liner like Khaira. He would make a good edition to the 4th to play with Motte and cycle between Highmore and MacEwen on the other wing. It should make for a very interesting season this year.

don't forget OV-lite!

2 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

now we need to lock up Dickinson as well. 

3x4 would be great.

big time over payment in my opinion, the old Burrows 4yr 8m contract sounds better to me

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Not gonna lie, I was hoping for something closer to Pearson's contract. But this works. If he can maintain his play from last season this is a very fair deal. He's still very much young too. So he has room to grow if there's anymore potential to squeeze outta him.

Why would you aim so low with a wishful dream of a contract?  Why wouldn’t you aim a little higher, like Kevin Labanc’s 1-year/$1m deal coming off of a 17g 56pt season?  I mean, it is something you were only hoping for… ;)

2 hours ago, Pears said:

Only way you don’t like this contract is if you have an anti Benning agenda. This is really good value. 

Hmmm.   I'm not pro or anti Benning i'm pro Canucks.  See risk in this.   Get we bought quite a few UFA years but this kid better produce.    I think he's got fair odds to do so.   Risk reward.    This came with risk. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
16 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

big time over payment in my opinion, the old Burrows 4yr 8m contract sounds better to me

Burrows for sure ate it but was way overpaid after that. 

• Vintage 1