The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks concerned about a Pettersson offer sheet

Just now, cuporbust said:

Hmmm. Ok then . Dhaliwal has some of the deepest contacts . It was also tweeted a few days ago from another insider that montreal is planning on it . 

You mean the one random bitter bro who claimed Montreal would offer sheet Pettersson if Seattle took Price in the expansion draft?

• Cheers 1

Just now, Warhippy said:

Actually, what is sickening; it's how you claim to be a fan but literally cannot post a single positive thing about this team a player on it or move they've made

So losing Petey would be a positive because this gm can’t multitask 

• RoughGame 1

I understand players want to maximize their earnings but I wonder how signing offer sheets goes with teammates?  Aho seems to have done just fine returning to the Canes after signing his offer sheet, but honestly his cap hit wasn't that crazy.

I get that cap problems can be seen primarily as a management issue, but would it not also be a team cohesiveness issue if one player is paid in such a way that it may impair overall competitiveness.  The Leafs avoided offer sheets by signing Matthews and Marner to huge contracts and while that could still pan out with success, it has also seriously hamstrung their team in various ways.  They had to give up a 1st just to move Marleau's contract.  While I can't exactly blame the players for wanting to be paid what they believe they are worth, they also live in the reality of the cap era and how that impacts the ability of a team to construct a lineup.

I think the Canucks could make things work if Pettersson ends up signing an $8.5M offer sheet elsewhere, but it would presumably take away from what they can commit to Hughes and who they can afford to fill out the rest of the line-up.

If Pettersson signs something like a $10.5M contract elsewhere, then maybe he meets that value in the future if the Canucks match, but I would have to think this would be nearly prohibitive for the Canucks' cap and would raise questions about his priorities.  Even if Pettersson becomes a 100-pt player in the future on a contract like that, will that mean anything if the Canucks don't have any playoff success because they're unable to build out the rest of the team?  Nothing has happened yet so I think it's too early to question Pettersson, but the offer sheet process always makes wonder how things are received in the locker room quite aside from how it affects relationships between GMs.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Because his agent is smart and knows he can use other teams to boost up the price..... or he can even just force the nucks hand. 

So JP Barry squeezes all he can for his client Petey but then when it comes time to close on Q, there's nothing left and his client has to accept the scraps? I don't know how smart that is. 

BTW, I don't  think its in Petey's character to act with such mercenary detachment from what he must see are the tremendous challenges of building the team that brought him into this league. Also, can't imagine the Twins have not acted in an advisory role to bring this all to a satisfactory and logical conclusion.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Love how all the benning bros  on CDC are saying if he signed one let him go and take the draft picks. Those picks could easily be all Jake Virtanens with this teams drafting record. The fact they go to support Jim is sickening. He is once again running out of time.

Pettersson, Hughes, Podkolzin.

Pls go to hell, Squam. thx.

• Cheers 3

Losing a young 1C sets this "rebuild" back years.

This is why some preach cap flexibility. If you need to overpay, you overpay essential players, not placeholders and support/secondary players like the ones we've signed in free agency.

• Like 1
  • RoughGame 1

Just now, grumpyone said:

could they afford to match a 7 yr $12 mill offer sheet?

No. As tough as it is to say this, we should get 4 1st rounders and walk away. 

But is anyone valuing him in the McDavid territory at this point? He might get there one day but to bank on that happening for any team, that's a pretty big risk.

Any compensation below 4 1st rounders (< 10.27 mil), we should match.

• Cheers 1