The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks concerned about a Pettersson offer sheet

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I don't think Bergevin cares.  He signed Aho to one and attempted to get Point to sign one too.

Suzuki next year. Caulfield the year after. Would he really be that stupid?

Actually, after this year's draft, yeah, probably.

I just don’t understand why Petey and Hughes would not have these done already so we know exactly how much we have to spend for FA to provide them with the best team possible? I say Petey gets done today by the Canucks. 3 years $7.5

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not everyone has to be a cheerleader of the team. 

We've gone over this before.....i 100% agree and no they don't, but there is def a diff between that and what him / some others have been doing. 

I have have to give you a lot of credit, especially lately...like some things / dislike other things, but you've come with a very balanced approach / opinion and i think that is all most people are asking for. He / others are def not! 

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Because he would be handcuffing the team he's currently on, which would hurt the team's chances of winning? Considering that, according to you and your "source", the team losing players in the offseason and not doing as well this last season is what initially pissed him off, that would seem to me to be a conflict of interest. 

Also, 4 years at earliest until he can become a UFA. That's not a short amount of time, and I doubt he would want to waste 4 years of his career on a ship that he sunk by bleeding them dry.

At the end of the day, he's an RFA.  The team obviously has control over him and there's only so much he can do personally.

What I know is that he was unhappy with what happened and that really tainted his view of the team's future.  Maybe things are different now after some of the moves made this off-season, doesn't seem so if the possibility of an offer-sheet has management scared.

Just now, BPA said:

Suzuki definitely will get paid.  Probably $7-8M on a long term contract. 

Sheesh I wonder how the Habs could afford Petey and still build around their roster even with Weber out if they plan on giving Suzuki that. Still missing a lot of pieces as it stands. 

2 minutes ago, IRR said:

We've gone over this before.....i 100% agree and no they don't, but there is def a diff between that and what him / some others have been doing. 

I have have to give you a lot of credit, especially lately...like some things / dislike other things, but you've come with a very balanced approach / opinion and i think that is all most people are asking for. He / others are def not! 

I do think there's a bit of a difference in the way AV and Squamfan approach the subject matter. 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

If someone offers Petersson $9+ million right now can they match it?  Is he worth it?  

I might be in the minority but I’d take the 4 first. I hope Seattle offer sheets him, they’ll be lottery picks for years with that roster 

I wouldn't be surprised to see it used as a bargaining chip, but I'd like to think Petey wants to be in Vancouver and has no actual desire to sign an offer.

It would be a big shame to see him leave. I agree that he hasn't shown enough to get the big bucks right yet, but he's shown enough that I'm confident with his continued development, experience, and slpwly getting bigger and stronger that he is poised to be up there with the league's best.

5 minutes ago, AV. said:

At the end of the day, he's an RFA.  The team obviously has control over him and there's only so much he can do personally.

What I've heard know is that he was unhappy with what happened and that may have really tainted his view of the team's future. I don't actually know this for a fact, but heard it from the guy in the stall next to me at the washroom at Freshii's. Maybe things are different now after some of the moves made this off-season, doesn't seem so if the possibility of an offer-sheet has management scared, which again is nothing more than a rumor spread by a local media personality who takes wire transfers from player agents to stir the pot.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Haha 1

Kraken might offersheet Petterson. Why does everyone think GMs won't do this? Because it will hurt the other GM's feelings? Payback? Lol, GMs only care about making their team better and making $$ for the owner. 

Signing Petterson will tell the Seattle fans that they are aiming to win next year and will be a middle finger to us; their direct regional and divisional rival.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

I do think there's a bit of a difference in the way AV and Squamfan approach the subject matter. 

For sure!! That's all myself and others are saying...def no disrespect to you / others who are finding a good balance! Their approach is more Taj, Uncle Laleet & Some of the media here. Just neg / hate to be neg / hate. 

I know we bumped heads a while ago, but i've generally respected your opinion / approach. 

2 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

Kraken might offersheet Petterson. Why does everyone think GMs won't do this? Because it will hurt the other GM's feelings? Payback? Lol, GMs only care about making their team better and making $$ for the owner. 

Signing Petterson will tell the Seattle fans that they are aiming to win next year and will be a middle finger to us; their direct regional and divisional rival.

do you really think an expansion team should lose 4 1sts? 

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

Horvat

Demko

Petey

And he certainly is not more important than depth. Depth is how you win Cups, not by blowing your cap on 2-3 players

I wonder how the players would feel after seeing depth like Pearson re-signed, older, declining, big cap hit players being brought in, and a bunch of players being bought out, all in the name of being competitive now, only to watch the team lose EP for draft picks.

The optics of that - hell the possibility its even an option at this point - shows Benning has learned nothing. Get your important business done first. For all of you who love the Pearson signing - who now should be a 3rd liner with the addition of Garland, the emergence of Hoglander, and the potential of Podkolzin, you should recognize that signing cost us not only Lind but also took up the buffer cap desperately needed to get EP and Hughes done early. Could have been done after UFA started. 

So Pearson is essentially the replacement for losing EP or losing whatever asset they will need to in order to match an offer sheet. At least we will be awesome with an empty net.

If EP gets a 10 mil offer sheet and the Canucks match, pick which top player you want to lose. Would not be surprised to see Hughes traded to NJ in that scenario.

5 minutes ago, Vanisleryan said:

I might be in the minority but I’d take the 4 first. I hope Seattle offer sheets him, they’ll be lottery picks for years with that roster 

If Seattle offer sheets him I'll drive him to Seattle.  Pretty sure the next two are guaranteed lottery picks with Wright and Bedard as prizes.